Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2014, 04:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Bronica ETR to PK?

Hi. My apologies if this isn't the correct forum, please move the thread if so.

In the '90s I enjoyed shooting with a Z-70. In the '00s it started collecting a bit of dust, and only recently did we get back to film, but at first in the form of 120, specifically Zenza Bronica ETRSi. I then got to properly scan my old 135 negatives and was surprised at the quality, which made me decide to give the Pentax some more use. And, what's more, get a K-30, so we could move the lenses around. So far, just perfect. The only thing we're missing is a UWA, but one will appear eventually (the widest we have is the FAJ 18-35).

I got thinking it would be nice if we could sometimes use the Bronica lenses (40, 50, 75, 150) on the Pentaxes. Not that we need to, or expect awesome results, but I can't believe it wouldn't be fun. I know there are adapters from ETR to Canon and Nikon, but I haven't been able to find anything for PK. There seem to be SQ adapters, but not ETR. Not even ETR to something plus something to PK (maybe Nikon, but Nikon to PK is lossy, iiiuc). Given that, does anyone have any ideas on how it could be done? I know there are some ETRSi users here, maybe one of you has thought of this before?

Thanks!

09-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I love to have one of these too!

I think the hard part is that the lens is electronically controlled. Any adapter would somehow have to keep the shutter open.
09-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could get the nikon version. It will fit in the Pentax mount but lock or be terribly secure unless you do a little bit of filing on the adapter. The registration distance is close enough that it doesn't matter much.

there's an less involved version than this article shows around here somewhere, but I couldn't find it, sorry.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/62-do-yourself/254770-mounting-nikkor-len...nt-camera.html
09-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could get the Nikon version and the Apaptist Multi-Mount too.

Adaptist - Home

09-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You could get the Nikon version and the Apaptist Multi-Mount too.

Adaptist - Home
Installing that on a WR camera makes it no longer WR. That's a pretty big downside for a modification that you would probably not want to do on a regular basis.
09-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Installing that on a WR camera makes it no longer WR. That's a pretty big downside for a modification that you would probably not want to do on a regular basis.
Use a K-30 with anything other than a WR or * lens and it isn't WR.
09-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Use a K-30 with anything other than a WR or * lens and it isn't WR.
What's your point? This goes beyond that, into "Use a K-30 with the Adaptist mount with a WR or * lens, and it STILL isn't WR"
09-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's your point? This goes beyond that, into "Use a K-30 with the Adaptist mount with a WR or * lens, and it STILL isn't WR"
How many people who are going to be adapting old lenses have a need for WR? The K-30 didn't even have a WR kit lens. I own 81 lenses, and exactly 1 of them is WR. The OP could also use the non-WR version of the Multi-Mount with the Z-70.

09-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hm. I use old lenses sometimes, and whoa.. I use WR lenses, too. Yay, 2 data points canceling each other out! That was a really useful exercise!

WR is a big selling point of pentax cameras.

Maybe it doesn't matter to you. Maybe it doesn't even matter to the OP. But it certainly matters to a fair number of people or they wouldn't have it in the first place... and telling them to switch out their lens mount without a bloody big warning that it's going to remove the most important part of their weather resistance strikes me as irresponsible.

It was one thing when they only made the mount for the non-WR bodies... no harm, there. But now they support the bodies with WR but don't bother putting an O ring on the product to replicate the stock one.
09-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm. I use old lenses sometimes, and whoa.. I use WR lenses, too. Yay, 2 data points canceling each other out! That was a really useful exercise!

WR is a big selling point of pentax cameras.

Maybe it doesn't matter to you. Maybe it doesn't even matter to the OP. But it certainly matters to a fair number of people or they wouldn't have it in the first place... and telling them to switch out their lens mount without a bloody big warning that it's going to remove the most important part of their weather resistance strikes me as irresponsible.

It was one thing when they only made the mount for the non-WR bodies... no harm, there. But now they support the bodies with WR but don't bother putting an O ring on the product to replicate the stock one.
woah... I think it is understandable that it will no longer WR...
even PENTAX selling non-WR lens without explicitly telling them "it make WR body no longer WR".

09-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What more explanation could you want?

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 3.53.18 PM.png
Views: 414
Size:  91.7 KB
09-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good. Now that we got the WR issue out of the way how about that ETRS -> K mount adapter again?
10-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi. Thank you all for your input.
Sorry for not having come here earlier, but I was counting on getting an email notification and must have missed it.
I had seen some reference to something like the MultiMount some time ago, but the website wasn't anywhere as professional so I kind of moved on (possibly a mistake). It does look interesting, but there's things I'm not sure of:
- is the change of mount reversible without too much hassle?
- do real PK lenses behave as well in the MM, the WR issue aside?

After all, we'd like to use the Bronica lenses for fun (and because they're primes), not because we can't get PK ones.

One (just one, nothing more) of the reasons we got a K-30 instead of one of the smaller models was the weather sealing, tho as prophesied we actually have no WR lenses. My impression was that at least part of the body, if not the hole behind the lens, would be more protected against accidental sprinkling or moisture. Or maybe it's just marketing hype, but it does sound comfy.

I'll concur that calling the version-for-WR-bodies the WR-version is a bit misleading, unless you read carefully you'd think it preserves the WR character of the body. I don't understand whether they could add an O-ring to the MM so as to keep it WR and chose not to, or whether that's technically challenging or impossible.

The 1mm ring approach nanual linked to seems interesting and even simple. I'm not the handicrafty kind of guy, unfortunately, but I'll give it a more thorough look.