Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 05:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Restoring old K-Lens

I have just bought a nice little K 55mm f1.8 and its in generally good condition.

There are however a few areas on the Aperture Ring round the grooved bits that the paint/coating has come off the corners.
Whats the best way to touch these areas up?

I do love these old 'K' Lenses though, they just feel so rock solid even after ~40 years since it was made!

Its a perfect companion to my K85 f1.8, and probably a K135 f2.8 If I find one at some point!

09-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Black felt pen?
09-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachboy2 Quote
Black felt pen?
Well I thought that but would it not just rub off with use? Or a Permanent Marker?
09-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How about some Testors hobby & model paint. Or whatever they have over there as Testors only sell in the US & Canada AFAIK.

09-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A permanent black marker works for me. Although there's a point where lenses become so beaten up they start to look cool! I found a M50/1.4 in a local west London charity shop and it looks like it was used by a war photo journalist. It has bags of character, and the glass is great.

QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
Its a perfect companion to my K85 f1.8, and probably a K135 f2.8 If I find one at some point!
BTW you may wait forever to find a K 135 f2.8.....as its a f2.5...even better! I say this kind of smugly, as I'm also very keen on K-series, and recently purchased a f2.5 from the Marketplace here. It is a beast of a lens. I'm going to try it all month on the Single in challenge starting tomorrow, and also test it against my K 135 f3.5, another very fine performer.

Just look at all this glass!!

Last edited by utak; 09-30-2014 at 09:12 AM.
09-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachboy2 Quote
Black felt pen?
Yep, black-tipped permanent marker (Sharpie) is the weapon of choice for those wanting to touch up a lens for resale. Of course it will only wear off, but that is for the buyer to worry about

As for permanent solutions, there is no way to apply touch up paint in a manner that will look good and be durable. There is a forum member who does anodizing. That is probably the best option.

Steve
09-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
A permanent black marker works for me. Although there's a point where lenses become so beaten up they start to look cool! I found a M50/1.4 in a local west London charity shop and it looks like it was used by a war photo journalist. It has bags of character, and the glass is great.

BTW you may wait forever to find a K 135 f2.8.....as its a f2.5...even better! I say this kind of smugly, as I'm also very keen on K-series, and recently purchased a f2.5 from the Marketplace here. It is a beast of a lens. I'm going to try it all month on the Single in challenge starting tomorrow, and also test it against my K 135 f3.5, another very fine performer.

Just look at all this glass!!
Ah yes, my mistake, I meant the 135mm f2.5, doh!

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
How about some Testors hobby & model paint. Or whatever they have over there as Testors only sell in the US & Canada AFAIK.
Sounds like Humbrol Paint we have here (Model Railways, Planes etc)

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, black-tipped permanent marker (Sharpie) is the weapon of choice for those wanting to touch up a lens for resale. Of course it will only wear off, but that is for the buyer to worry about

As for permanent solutions, there is no way to apply touch up paint in a manner that will look good and be durable. There is a forum member who does anodizing. That is probably the best option.

Steve
I had seen those lovely lenses he has done, it might be an option for the K85 that I LOVE although my copy is pretty mint already, will see if this K55 f1.8 is just as lovely!

09-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a lens that had some weird damage to the original finish, so I painted it. I think it's very difficult to get the paint as thin as the original finish. So the sharp original corners now look more like the plastic A series. I had a lot of trouble with the engraved lettering. Paint fills the recesses and makes the characters thin and fuzzy. The paint is more durable than I expected. I took the lens apart so the optics weren't at risk. My lens had unusual damage. Anything that looks like ordinary wear probably looks better left alone. Permanent black marker is a good compromise because it's not a lot of work, you won't be bothered by the wear for a while, and it'll come off if you want to reverse it.
10-01-2014, 04:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't bother. Why hide the fact that a lens has been well used but otherwise cared for
10-01-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You can get black paint pens, great for writing on metal etc.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo