Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tokina f8 mirror lens

After reading all the posts on mirror lenses, i stumbled on a tokina 500mm pentax mount mirror lens on craigslist, from a local seller for $90. i just got back from doing the deal and took a couple of test shots. i'm too unsteady to handhold it, so i mounted it on a tripod, with my k20d, set to +2 contrast and +1 sharpness and fired away. the sparrow was about 20ft away. the first shot is with a little pp in cs3. the 3rd shot was blown up and cropped. i think i'm gonna like this lens. the full size images are sharper than the reduced for forum pics for some reason.

Last edited by ivoire; 04-12-2009 at 10:29 AM.
05-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice shot of the sparrow, but I think you overdid your sharpening in pic 2 & 3 as I can see haloing.

Why not show a post up a picture of the lens for the benefit of all as it isn't a common one.
05-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Nice shot of the sparrow, but I think you overdid your sharpening in pic 2 & 3 as I can see haloing.

Why not show a post up a picture of the lens for the benefit of all as it isn't a common one.
quick pic of lens on camera as requested. i think the haloing is from lack of concern when adjusting color in ps. was in a hurry to post and get out the door.

05-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very nice.

makes me want to go out and play a little with my Celestron 1000mm F11 spotting scope.

one point, and i don't know if it is focus error or just the result of resizing the photo, but it seems the focus point is the front of the blard the sparrow is on. is it just my imagination?

I know these things are tricky to focus accurately and DOF is measured in MM

05-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
very nice.

makes me want to go out and play a little with my Celestron 1000mm F11 spotting scope.

one point, and i don't know if it is focus error or just the result of resizing the photo, but it seems the focus point is the front of the blard the sparrow is on. is it just my imagination?

I know these things are tricky to focus accurately and DOF is measured in MM
Thanks for the comment. I've been wondering about the focal point myself. the focus and dof, as you mentioned, is very tricky. i erased the card as i was in a rush, so i can't compare it to a few of the additional shots taken of different sparrows. if its a bright day tomorrow i'll be out shooting with it again and test that idea.

got any pics with that celestron?
05-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Thanks for the comment. I've been wondering about the focal point myself. the focus and dof, as you mentioned, is very tricky. i erased the card as i was in a rush, so i can't compare it to a few of the additional shots taken of different sparrows. if its a bright day tomorrow i'll be out shooting with it again and test that idea.

got any pics with that celestron?
not with the digital.

I took some, and even posted one of a heron scanned from ektachrome.

the problem is that at 1000mm, and the crop factor, vibration is a nightmare. There are 2 problems, first is any tripod vibration and the second is that the T-Mount and attachment are prone to a little movement. I have now gotten a long lens stabilizer that should help this situation out a little and hope to test it soon.

its on my to-do list for this summer.
05-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
[QUOTE=Lowell Goudge;242897]not with the digital.

the problem is that at 1000mm, and the crop factor, vibration is a nightmare. There are 2 problems, first is any tripod vibration and the second is that the T-Mount and attachment are prone to a little movement. I have now gotten a long lens stabilizer that should help this situation out a little and hope to test it soon.

QUOTE]

I shot the moon tonite and found that i had to stay off the deck to prevent vibration (2second delay). i can imagine that another 4 inches in legth on this lens would be a huge problem. Heres the crop from tonites shoot, f8 at 125th; 2nd pic is pp in cs3. i am very pleased with the resolution on this lens:

05-15-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
quick pic of lens on camera as requested. i think the haloing is from lack of concern when adjusting color in ps. was in a hurry to post and get out the door.
Nice shot. The lens really looks pretty solid and the condition looks great.
05-15-2008, 05:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice shot. The lens really looks pretty solid and the condition looks great.
The guy pointed out a very small bubble in the front lens at its periphery and it doesn't seem to have any effect. other than that, it is in excellent condition. The lens hood is a long metal sleeve that takes forever to screw on and it reverses to cover the lens. The end cap is a push-on piece of plastic. As all the posts in this forum pointed out, the lens does have its quirks, focus, dof, light, need for tripod. Since a lot of my long lens shots are done in Florida during the day on a tripod, I don't think light will be a problem. My manual focusing will improve with time.
05-15-2008, 05:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It's so compact for a 500mm lens. Great find at a great price.
05-15-2008, 05:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I used to own a few Minolta mirror lenses in the past and one interesting thing that I noticed is that if left out in the open sun for a period of time, there can be an ever so slight focus shift, which I would put down to thermal expansion of the lens barrel.

ivoire, I'd say you got yourself a bargain.
05-15-2008, 05:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used to own a few Minolta mirror lenses in the past and one interesting thing that I noticed is that if left out in the open sun for a period of time, there can be an ever so slight focus shift, which I would put down to thermal expansion of the lens barrel.

ivoire, I'd say you got yourself a bargain.
Creampuff, thanks for the reminder on heat effect. Several other forum posts mentioned this as a potential problem and a couple of companies produced theirs in white. Hope i remember this when i'm shooting in Florida. If you can find this Tokina RMC 500mm 1:8 for a few $s, (have the interest and are willing to deal with its quirks) i highly recommend it (its not for everyone).
05-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Rear filters

I have a version of this lens, with a different name on it. Its an interesting lens.

The rear filter is a standard 30.5mm screw-in filter, so you can use any filter you like. Most of these came with three neutral-density filters, since there is no aperture. I don't have the ND filters, but f/8 is okay. I'd like to get an ND2 or ND4 filter, just to be able to have a little more control over the shutter speed. The way it is, I just shoot in Av mode and let the camera decide what shutter speed to use.

The drawback to rear filters, of course, is that you must remove the lens from the camera to change them.

Paul Noble
05-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

My Tamron 500mm SP Lens

Here is the Tamron 500mm lens I purchased in Paris for 180 euros. It is in excellent condition. It seems that it was rarely used.

Very, very sharp lens.

Ben
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix F30  Photo   

Last edited by benjikan; 06-08-2008 at 03:56 AM.
05-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ben, it was your comment about using a mirror lens for a pro shoot that made me take a look for one. Most of the comments made me skeptical as it looked like this type of lens would be trouble. For $90, i think i got a decent lens. The tamron was among the highest rated but never seemed to come up when i looked. It is surprising that these lenses look almost identical. Looking forward to some of your posts with the Tamron.

Paul, i had no idea that these had a 'filter kit'. It is a very different way of shooting with this lens. the moon was shot manual and the others in av mode. controlling exposure requires some thought. now i will be looking for a lens kit after seeing Bens. Post a couple of pics when you have a minute.