Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #1

Why Set Manual Focal Length?

First a tiny bit of background. I used canon DSLRs for ten years. The end.

I have no experience using manual lenses on a modern DSLR, well almost none, I had a K10D and kind of played around with one lens, but not much. I just have no idea what the reason for setting the focal length is, and what happens if you don't set it correctly, which I have forgotten to do when switching between my 50mm and 28mm lenses.

TIA!

09-30-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by almo Quote
First a tiny bit of background. I used canon DSLRs for ten years. The end.

I have no experience using manual lenses on a modern DSLR, well almost none, I had a K10D and kind of played around with one lens, but not much. I just have no idea what the reason for setting the focal length is, and what happens if you don't set it correctly, which I have forgotten to do when switching between my 50mm and 28mm lenses.

TIA!
It's so that the in-camera shake reduction system knows how much camera shake to compensate for. Conveniently, the focal length is also stored in the exif data.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might note that it isn't necessary for modern auto focus lenses which automatically input that data -- it's only required when using lenses without data transfer contacts.

The great advantage is that SR is available even for older manual focus lenses.

Incorrectly reporting the FL will cause the SR system to over- or under-compensate for camera shake.
09-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What they said. Very nice with primes, but with a manual zoom lens it gets harder. You can set it near the middle of the range or reset as you go, I have done it both ways. It's partly why I try to stick with auto zooms and manual primes or zooms with a narrow range like the old Sigma 21-35.

10-01-2014, 03:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's so that the in-camera shake reduction system knows how much camera shake to compensate for. Conveniently, the focal length is also stored in the exif data.
Oh, good reason!

---------- Post added 10-01-2014 at 03:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
What they said. Very nice with primes, but with a manual zoom lens it gets harder. You can set it near the middle of the range or reset as you go, I have done it both ways. It's partly why I try to stick with auto zooms and manual primes or zooms with a narrow range like the old Sigma 21-35.
It was my plan to only use manual primes. I have two AF zooms that will be here today actually, but I figured already that when it comes to manual primes are probably going to be the best option. I started out using old Pentax film gear in the stone ages, and all we had were primes. I have had a few 70-210 zooms over the years at one point or another, but i never really got great results with manual zooms. Something about that loose push/pull zoom thing never really worked for me.
10-01-2014, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
Something about that loose push/pull zoom thing never really worked for me.
Agreed. Autofocus zooms work just fine, but I never knew what I was missing until I came across an old Vivitar internal zoom manual focus lens. I don't think I would use any other kind by choice now.
10-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jadedrakerider Quote
Agreed. Autofocus zooms work just fine, but I never knew what I was missing until I came across an old Vivitar internal zoom manual focus lens. I don't think I would use any other kind by choice now.
I don't think I have ever had an internal zoom manual lens before. Accept maybe for really short ones, but not telephoto. I might have to look into that.

10-01-2014, 05:52 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I don't think I have ever had an internal zoom manual lens before. Accept maybe for really short ones, but not telephoto. I might have to look into that.
Mine is the Vivitar 75-205mm f3.8 Macro

The aperture-lever shield needs to be filed down before it can be mounted onto a contemporary digital camera, but once you do you it's a pleasure to use.

10-01-2014, 05:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You still need the SR with an internal focus lens as it's the magnification that requires the stability, not the actual physical length of the lens. I have a 500mm mirror lens that is about the same length and weight as a 135/2.8 I own but it's nearly impossible to hold steady. With a manual zoom, best results will be with at length set as close to the focal length as possible. I have neglected to set the length on occasion and the results weren't good.