Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #1

Traveling to Europe. Lens ideas?

Hey guys.

I'm going to be traveling to Germany for christmas time. I was wondering what you guys think would make for some great photos.

I have a K-30 camera and my current arsenal of lenses include:

18-55mm (kit lens)
DA 35mm f2.4 AL
DA* 300mm f4
DA* 50-135mm f2.8

Should I just bring the 35mm and 50-135mm? Or should I be buying a wider lens (18? 21?) for street/landscape photography? I don't mind weight really but changing lenses would be a downer since I just imagine taking the camera around my neck and not lugging around a bunch of lenses.

10-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Where do you go, what will you see, what will be the scenes that interest you. A short lens/zoom for travel photography makes a lot of sense.
10-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely take something wider as well. There are lots of beautiful landscapes in Germany that you won't want to miss.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like primes when I am able to walk (not my theatre photo's) and prefer 2 moderate to small versatile lenses.
That for me (on a Pentax dslr) is:
-- 24 or 28 mm that I can zone focus (super takumar 24 or 28mm f/3.5) and
-- 50 mm macro (K 50mm f/4)
Trips (for me) are scenery/street shots and museums, and these two do more than 90% of what I want.

If my thinking was more about available light photography I might substitute for one or both of the above,
-- a fast (about f/2) 28mm, and
-- a f/1.7 50mm and an extension tube, 2x teleconverter, or close up diopter
BTW I prefer the f/1.7 (vs f/1.4) for it's better large aperture macro results.

10-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #5

As your focal lengths are already in the metric system, there shoudnt be any issues with your lenses.
Which places will you go to?
What are your subjects and style?
Anyhow the combo of 35mm and the 50-135mm sound like a good start to me.
10-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I like primes when I am able to walk (not my theatre photo's) and prefer 2 moderate to small versatile lenses.
That for me (on a Pentax dslr) is:
-- 24 or 28 mm that I can zone focus (super takumar 24 or 28mm f/3.5) and
-- 50 mm macro (K 50mm f/4)
Trips (for me) are scenery/street shots and museums, and these two do more than 90% of what I want.

If my thinking was more about available light photography I might substitute for one or both of the above,
-- a fast (about f/2) 28mm, and
-- a f/1.7 50mm and an extension tube, 2x teleconverter, or close up diopter
BTW I prefer the f/1.7 (vs f/1.4) for it's better large aperture macro results.
yeah museums, zoos, buildings, scenery, going on top of a tower, etc. i like doing all that too. wide angle would suck at a zoo i think. but i really like taking pictures of church buildings on the outside and inside which are pretty tall and big.

would the DA 15mm fit as a scenery lens although im guessing there's a lot of distortion involved being so wide?

or 21mm LTD?

the super takumar 24 pictures that i see on the reviews section seems a bit soft to me.

here's one of my albums from last year.. but i used the 18-55mm lens.. i feel like i want a bit more IQ this time around.
https://plus.google.com/photos/113056256616270182527/albums/5795288864934570369?banner=pwa
10-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No the 24mm f/3.5 (mine anyway) is not soft. Never even thought about it, about 50% cropped (not because the edges are soft) and 8"x12" prints are great.

I don't care for wider and I do collages to get more. You need to maybe try the short zoom at the wide end to see if you like the perspective.

Just wider can mean just all smaller--it is really more about the near far perspective (what you call distortion)--making close even larger and farther away even smaller--and that is not the typical travel/scenery perspective but more the "for Art" shot.

---------- Post added 10-01-14 at 01:39 PM ----------

I had a quick look at your shots (just the small size) and my impression is they are a great set of travel pictures--only perhaps more selectively editing to a lesser set would really make them sing. More specifically by type:
-- you have the interiors done well with the FL you used.
-- For the zoo/animals I think a longer lens (zoom likely) that you only take on those outings would be useful.
-- The wide angle outdoors shots seem to suffer from perspective issues--they are falling inwards! That can be handled well by using perspective adjustment in pp software--I use photoshop (edit/transform/perspective) and maybe what software you use has something similar. I think it would make a huge difference. And would allow you to use wider angle lens w/o problems.

10-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took the liberty of picking a typical shot outdoors of yours, and using perspective tool (actually I rotated it, then perspective, and then crop).

The additional softness due to my edit--would not be a problem with a detailed original and if need be some additional final sharpening--but w/ the low resolution jpg it is!

It looks so soft I added a sharpened version--although w/ the low resolution the sharpened one does look a little too "cooked".
Attached Images

Last edited by dms; 10-01-2014 at 02:20 PM.
10-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by teylix Quote
Should I just bring the 35mm and 50-135mm?
Yes, those and maybe something wide like DA 15mm. Or at least one of those zooms that go to 18mm. Maybe you will want WR? What I use when I travel (and I live in Europe) is Samyang 14mm, DA 35mm f2.4 (or DA 40mm XS) and a tele, like DFA 100mm, or a low light like 50mm f1.7 depending on what I expect to be photographing. Though, the Samyang 14mm is sometimes awkwardly wide. But keep in mind that European cities and buildings are pretty tight, so wide angles are needed.
Good luck and have fun! Hope you post some photos

Last edited by Na Horuk; 10-01-2014 at 02:53 PM.
10-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Definitely take the DA 30 2.4 and the DA*50-135.

If you have the funds, I would suggest adding a Samyang or Rokinon 16mm f2 lens (both are the same lens). It'll cost about 379 new, and it's very hard to find used... It would be very useful inside of not so well lit building such as churches. It's the lens I want right now

Having said that, I made do with my DA 35 2.4 inside churches, museums and other buildings in my trips to Ireland and Portugal, within the last year. I don't have the funds for the 16mm f2 so this year I bought a Tokina 19-35mm f3.5-4.5 which is great at the wide end and f8. Very superior to the kit 18-55 lens. For the Ireland trip my widest lens was my 28mm 2.8 and that's just not wide enough a lot of times... so I'm glad I got the Tokina. But it can be used outside only, as it's a bit soft and has low contrast wide open. But, for about 100 bucks, it's a good and cheap upgrade to the 18-55, I think.
10-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I always recommend the 12-24 for any vacation, especially around town :-)
10-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #12

I took my Q to Europe last year, and I only had two lenses with me - the 01 prime (47mm equivalent) and my 13mm Cine Raptar movie lens (that was for doing the artsy thing). It was a backpacking trip, so size/portability was a determinant. I really, REALLY missed having a wide angle with me, but gee - Pentax hasn't made a wide prime for the Q yet... (don't mention the toy lens) I should have taken my K5 DA21 combo with me. Live and learn.

Your DA35 would be able to cover you for most of your shots and will give you great IQ, but for goodness sake, take something wider or you will regret it. the DA15 has quite a following here, but the Samyang also sounds like a good choice, and you gain two stops in speed. Then the 50-135 for those telephoto moments to round out your kit (although I never really had a situation where I needed something that long - you may feel differently however).

I see you went to Bamberg - me too! Such a gorgeous town. Did you try the Smoke Beer? I was really cursing myself for not bringing a wide prime when I was at the Domeplatz!

here are some Q photos from that trip https://plus.google.com/photos/112926204174575391170/albums/5906076186685953...Ny47-r7i83UswE

If you are in the region of Coburg, I would recommend visiting. The fortress is impressive, and they have a bratwurst (the Coburger Rostbratwurst) that is amazing. buy two, they're cheap. hell, buy three!

Last edited by emergo; 10-01-2014 at 03:43 PM.
10-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Should I just bring the 35mm and 50-135mm? Or should I be buying a wider lens (18? 21?) for street/landscape photography? I don't mind weight really but changing lenses would be a downer since I just imagine taking the camera around my neck and not lugging around a bunch of lenses.
I would seriously consider the DA21. It is good enough wide open and is just the thing for street shots (Christmas markets etc.). The autofocus is quick and reliable. The DA15 is a bit too wide for this, pretty useless wide open and harder to get focused well if you are taking quick shots.

Mind you, the kit 18-55 at 18mm is not too bad either, but you don't have the WR version, which would be useful when it is raining or snowing, as it probably will
10-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hey guys.

I'm going to be traveling to Germany for christmas time. I was wondering what you guys think would make for some great photos.

I have a K-30 camera and my current arsenal of lenses include:

18-55mm (kit lens)
DA 35mm f2.4 AL
DA* 300mm f4
DA* 50-135mm f2.8

Get yourself a nice DA15...leave the 18-55 at home it's too bulky for carrying around all day.
Take the Da35mm for normal shooting
Take the 50-135 for tele stuff.

That's all that you will need and more than enough.
10-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Weighed down by all the weisswurst and wheat beer in your stomach, a minimal kit of DA15, DA35 and DA*50-135 should be easy to manage. You'll be able to do landscapes, street photography, interiors, portraits and close-ups

If you go to Munich, do a daytrip to Neuschwanstein (Mad King Ludwig's castle aka Snow White's).