Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I always recommend the 12-24 for any vacation, especially around town :-)
I also like the 12-24 because of the sharpness of the images and wide angle for panoramic scenes. I use it in conjunction with my 18-250 mm tp cover all focal lengths.

10-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i was in Germany and Austria over the summer and I took with me the 18-135, da15, samyang 8mm and da 35mm. if i were to go again, i would only take the 18-135 and DA15mm. 85% of my shots were with the 18-135 however. i suggest you buy the 18-135 and since it being WR, it will be ideal during that time of year.
10-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #33
Pentaxian

18-135 (70-80% of the time)+ a REALLY wide angle zoom - Sigma 10-20mm in my case - for all those fantastic interior shots in the large historical buildings, Generally take the 55-300 but rarely use it.
10-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by teylix Quote
Hey guys.

I'm going to be traveling to Germany for christmas time. I was wondering what you guys think would make for some great photos.

I have a K-30 camera and my current arsenal of lenses include:

18-55mm (kit lens)
DA 35mm f2.4 AL
DA* 300mm f4
DA* 50-135mm f2.8

Should I just bring the 35mm and 50-135mm? Or should I be buying a wider lens (18? 21?) for street/landscape photography? I don't mind weight really but changing lenses would be a downer since I just imagine taking the camera around my neck and not lugging around a bunch of lenses.
From what you have I would take the 18-55 and 50-135.

From what I have, if travelling with other people I would take 18-55 and 50-200. Or maybe FA 24-90 + DA15 + 50-200. If travelling alone probably DA15 or DA21 + M28/3.5 + DA70 + M150.

Don't use primes if travelling with others and you want to be on speaking terms at dinner.

---------- Post added 10-04-2014 at 12:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Another option to consider...

Just returned from a 24 day USA/Europe excursion that included Athens, Greek Isles, Turkey, Ravenna and Venice. The photo settings confronted ran the full range - dark interiors, museums, churches, broad cityscapes, lush gardens, bustling streetscapes, mountain landscapes, quiet restaurants, high contract bright and dark lighting, etc. - typical tourist fare. Packed in my camera bag was a K-3 with pairing options that included the 10-17 FE, DA 20-40 and FA 77... AND a Q7 with 08 WA Zoom, 01 and 06 Tele Zoom lenses.

The Q7 perfectly met all of my photo needs with the most used lens (say 75%) being the 08 Tele WA (similar crop factor as the DA16-50, but greater DOF). In fact, the K-3 never left the hotel room. When I do it again, it will be Q-7 (or similar) all of the way (the 08 Tele WA is awesome...). I did see others lugging Pentax DSLR cameras about, but not another Q/Q7... Interestingly, the only unsolicited comments on my Q kit came from two Dutch customs/immigration officers during their inspections (separate occasions)... both offered that they personally owned and loved using their Q cameras when they travel on their holiday... surprise... surprise...

...my 2 cents...

Cheers... M
But Michaelina the Q is no damn good if you need reading glasses and can't see the screen. Why Pentax did not offer an EVF option (same with K01) I will never know. It would have increased sales massively to anyone over 45.

Tim

10-04-2014, 03:04 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Europe is not really different from many other countries but sure that as there are old cities heres, building are more packed together and wide angle is good investment for sure.

I would say that with what you have already, you can take 18-55 + 50-135 + DA35 and get all the shoots you needs. 18-55 for most wandering arround shoots. 50-135 for portraiture, architectural details, reach in general, events if you happen to include some in your vacations. DA35, not to be used all the time, to keep the conveniance of zoom, but to use to replace the 18-55 for interiors and low light shoots. This beast is very good wide open at f/2.4.

This for me if you go the pragmatic route, where you use what you already have.

Now we can see what money you could spend for more fun! As other have said, 18mm is a bit limiting.

I used the DA15 in Italy and in Paris and I can say that it really help and is still small. Very conveniant. When I visited Florence, I didn't have it yet, and constantly had issue with my 21mm being too narrow. In practice, with DA15, most case are coverred. But don't get me wrong. DA21 is for most wide angle shoots. DA15 is for when you want the perspective distorsion or when you really need to put more in the frame. It is still a speciality lens.

I would consider to upgrade the 18-55... It really average image, while a set of primes or a better zoom would give much more quality. To stay with conveniance of zoom that for example tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or sigma contemporary 17-70 f/2.8-4. For ultimate small size zoom, that would be DA20-40.

There also an interresting possibility to use DA12-24. It would get all your wide angle needs covered. Like DA15+ DA21 together with more possibilities in terms of focal. Would keep the 50-135 and DA35, this would cover most case. Only drawback for me if the need to change optics for 35mm and weight of 50-135.
10-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #36
Veteran Member

My kit is usually DA Ltd 15/21/40/70 or FA77/ FA35/DA15 always with the WR kit lens as backup and a longer zoom. The DA Ltd collection is so small that it easily fits in a compact bag. It really depends upon whether you will be in a city or countryside. In Spain, and Vienna I was in cities, interiors and close quarters. I used the primes most, and took a lot with the DA21. OTOH In Romania, I was more in the countryside, and my most used lenses were the DA 55-300 and the FA35 and FA77. Those three probably accounted for 80 per cent of my shots. On that trip, I noticed that I was the only DSLR shooter among the tourists who had not just settled on a superzoom of some kind, usually an 18-135. However, for interiors and nights, the fast primes are a must.

BTW, I never travel without one of my 40mm compact lenses. The DA40 is so small and light, that it carries for free. You can slip it in your pants pocket. It is sharp wide open at 2.8, and very sharp from 4 on. My other 40 is a Voigtlander, which is quite good at F2 and excellent from 2.8 on. It is slightly larger than the DA40 and it is manual focus, but I find it easier to focus for night shots than using AF. If you want to walk about light, carry the camera with the WR kit and a DA40 in your pocket, and you have a very compact and capable outdoor and indoor rig.

Last edited by GeneV; 10-04-2014 at 06:55 PM.
10-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
From what you have I would take the 18-55 and 50-135.

From what I have, if travelling with other people I would take 18-55 and 50-200. Or maybe FA 24-90 + DA15 + 50-200. If travelling alone probably DA15 or DA21 + M28/3.5 + DA70 + M150.

Don't use primes if travelling with others and you want to be on speaking terms at dinner.

---------- Post added 10-04-2014 at 12:17 PM ----------

But Michaelina the Q is no damn good if you need reading glasses and can't see the screen. Why Pentax did not offer an EVF option (same with K01) I will never know. It would have increased sales massively to anyone over 45.

Tim
Heh. I'm just traveling with my gf. I ended up buying the DA 15. So now I have a DA 15, 35, 50-135 setup. I imagine 35 is on it most of the time and when I do landscapes, etc then I switch to DA 15. But the 50-135 is so good. But probably wouldnt take it out on day trips.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Europe is not really different from many other countries but sure that as there are old cities heres, building are more packed together and wide angle is good investment for sure.

I would say that with what you have already, you can take 18-55 + 50-135 + DA35 and get all the shoots you needs. 18-55 for most wandering arround shoots. 50-135 for portraiture, architectural details, reach in general, events if you happen to include some in your vacations. DA35, not to be used all the time, to keep the conveniance of zoom, but to use to replace the 18-55 for interiors and low light shoots. This beast is very good wide open at f/2.4.

This for me if you go the pragmatic route, where you use what you already have.

Now we can see what money you could spend for more fun! As other have said, 18mm is a bit limiting.

I used the DA15 in Italy and in Paris and I can say that it really help and is still small. Very conveniant. When I visited Florence, I didn't have it yet, and constantly had issue with my 21mm being too narrow. In practice, with DA15, most case are coverred. But don't get me wrong. DA21 is for most wide angle shoots. DA15 is for when you want the perspective distorsion or when you really need to put more in the frame. It is still a speciality lens.

I would consider to upgrade the 18-55... It really average image, while a set of primes or a better zoom would give much more quality. To stay with conveniance of zoom that for example tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or sigma contemporary 17-70 f/2.8-4. For ultimate small size zoom, that would be DA20-40.

There also an interresting possibility to use DA12-24. It would get all your wide angle needs covered. Like DA15+ DA21 together with more possibilities in terms of focal. Would keep the 50-135 and DA35, this would cover most case. Only drawback for me if the need to change optics for 35mm and weight of 50-135.
i was really debating having a 12-24, 35, 50-135 setup. but i figured id be happy with just getting a DA15 and save some money.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
My kit is usually DA Ltd 15/21/40/70 or FA77/ FA35/DA15 always with the WR kit lens as backup and a longer zoom. The DA Ltd collection is so small that it easily fits in a compact bag. It really depends upon whether you will be in a city or countryside. In Spain, and Vienna I was in cities, interiors and close quarters. I used the primes most, and took a lot with the DA21. OTOH In Romania, I was more in the countryside, and my most used lenses were the DA 55-300 and the FA35 and FA77. Those three probably accounted for 80 per cent of my shots. On that trip, I noticed that I was the only DSLR shooter among the tourists who had not just settled on a superzoom of some kind, usually an 18-135. However, for interiors and nights, the fast primes are a must.

BTW, I never travel without one of my 40mm compact lenses. The DA40 is so small and light, that it carries for free. You can slip it in your pants pocket. It is sharp wide open at 2.8, and very sharp from 4 on. My other 40 is a Voigtlander, which is quite good at F2 and excellent from 2.8 on. It is slightly larger than the DA40 and it is manual focus, but I find it easier to focus for night shots than using AF. If you want to walk about light, carry the camera with the WR kit and a DA40 in your pocket, and you have a very compact and capable outdoor and indoor rig.
almost went with DA21 but apparently the DA15 controls your mind... some kind of pixie dust.

Thanks for the comments all. I settled on getting a DA15 and figured I'd bring along the 35 as the main lens... but the 50-135 is kinda iffy for me. i don't do much people shooting and in december i wont be doing zoo trips. my camera bag can hold the 2 primes and 50-135 though. but my last trips i never brought the camera bag with me. but the pictures ive taken so far with the 50-135 are really amazing quality.

I actually got the 50-135 for backyard wildlife.. i got critters running around that are too close for my da* 300.

10-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #38
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by teylix Quote
Traveling to Europe. Lens ideas
Definitely have a think about fast and wide for the city and not worry so much about the long end, but really depends so much on your own shooting style.
10-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Definitely have a think about fast and wide for the city and not worry so much about the long end, but really depends so much on your own shooting style.
We've seen your wonderfully sneaky candids, Kerrowdown ... a long lens would help, no?
10-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #40
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
We've seen your wonderfully sneaky candids, Kerrowdown ... a long lens would help, no?
Many of mine are made using my "Good Lady" (SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8) or my "Special Lady” (SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2).

Now again I have day out with my "Lady luck” (SMC Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8) but I usually prefer to work the wider end of things.

“If your photos aren’t good enough, then you’re not close enough” – Robert Capa
10-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Brings you almost into the range of their fists, mate! :-D
10-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Hmmm... I don't understand your point... Help me...

I'm 72+ and wear progressive lens glasses...

Cheers... M
Well that's one answer! But I don't wear progressives - had them a long time ago, but the 'in focus' zones never seemed to match up for the two eyes. Lousy supplier maybe.

Tim

(still unconvinced!)
10-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess some of this depends on how often you want to change lenses and where exactly you will be touring.
A good wide angle should cover most city areas and indoors.
The last thing you want to be doing is changing lenses all the time. Personally, I end up using the 18-135mm on vacation and have some primes for landscape or portrait style shots. It's not perfect, but I don't want to be holding everyone up often changing lenses for specific shots.
10-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
The last thing you want to be doing is changing lenses all the time.
You should say, "the last thing *I* want to be doing is changing lenses all the time" .

Me, I have no problem with it. In my outings I always have at least 2-3 lenses with me and swap them as I need to. That's why I bought an ILC

The OP also doesn't seem to mind changing lenses every once in a while.
10-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You should say, "the last thing *I* want to be doing is changing lenses all the time" .

Me, I have no problem with it. In my outings I always have at least 2-3 lenses with me and swap them as I need to. That's why I bought an ILC

The OP also doesn't seem to mind changing lenses every once in a while.
Agreed. Once in a while I need to use the mini rocket blower for a puff or two to keep the sensor clean, but I have no problem changing a lens in a few seconds or [gasp] zooming with my feet. Part of my comfort with changing lenses comes from more than 35 years of putting Pentax K mounts on cameras without thinking, starting from a time when zooms really weren't that good.