Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #1

I got my Seikanon lens stuck on my K20D

I have searched for other threads on this but nothing I have seen says how to actually get the damn thing off the camera. I am at a complete loss here. I can get it about half way then it locks and will only turn slightly in either direction. If I play around with the focus mode selection I can get it seated in the locked position and the camera will work, but I can't get the lens off of the camera.

Please help.

10-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh Pin perhaps?

Google "Ricoh Pin" and you will get links describing what may be jamming your lens in place along with hints on how to get it off. You can also do a search on this site.

Steve
10-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't panic, and don't force it. You just met the Ricoh pin ... as Steve said, just do a google search for a few useful threads here, like this one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/62194-ri...ed-remove.html
10-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

almo,

I'd suggest that you Google "Seikanon lens Ricoh pin." There's a good chance that the lens is fitted with a pin that has become engaged with the camera's autofocus shaft. The pin and shaft would be located at about the 4 or 5 o'clock position as seen when you look at the front of the camera.

This is not an uncommon problem, and the general approach is to use a feeler gauge or other thin metal strip to wiggle at the pin to move it out of its engaged position in the AF shaft recess. First, set the camera focus lever at the front of the camera to MF to disengage the AF shaft. You should be able to find numerous posts that describe the problem and present solutions.

The lens is possibly for a Ricoh mount - compatible mechanically with the Pentax K bayonet mount, but having the extra pin to communicate with certain Ricoh cameras.

- Craig

EDIT - I guess I was typing at the same time as the others above.

10-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
I got it off!

Thanks guys!
10-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent!

Was it the pin ?
10-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Excellent!

Was it the pin ?
Sure were.

I didn't have shims, or gauge feelers, so I chopped up an Altoids can and used that. I never was able to get the homemade shims under the pin, so I tried using a jeweler's flat-head screw driver, a very small one, to pry the lens back slightly so I could hopefully clear the pin. No dice on that, but I guess one of the lens flanges cleared the smaller of the three flanges on the camera mount and it just fell out in my hands. I just plain didn't believe it. I sat here looking at the camera and the lens like a stooge for the longest time before it occurred to me to put my new 18-55 on and see if all was well. It was, and I am pretty grateful for it. Ironically enough both of my AF lenses I ordered for this camera came in the post today. For some reason I put that 28mm lens on before trying out either of them. Go figure.

10-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by almo Quote
Sure were.

I didn't have shims, or gauge feelers, so I chopped up an Altoids can and used that. I never was able to get the homemade shims under the pin, so I tried using a jeweler's flat-head screw driver, a very small one, to pry the lens back slightly so I could hopefully clear the pin. No dice on that, but I guess one of the lens flanges cleared the smaller of the three flanges on the camera mount and it just fell out in my hands. I just plain didn't believe it. I sat here looking at the camera and the lens like a stooge for the longest time before it occurred to me to put my new 18-55 on and see if all was well. It was, and I am pretty grateful for it. Ironically enough both of my AF lenses I ordered for this camera came in the post today. For some reason I put that 28mm lens on before trying out either of them. Go figure.
Good job on the ingenuity, Now look up how to remove the pin, it's pretty easy to do. But if possible get a JIS screwdriver, a phillips may slip and gink up the screw.
10-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Good job on the ingenuity, Now look up how to remove the pin, it's pretty easy to do. But if possible get a JIS screwdriver, a phillips may slip and gink up the screw.
Sadly the lens did not survive the process of removal.

Oddly enough it would seem that glass lenses don't get along very well with concrete floors.

10-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by almo Quote
Sadly the lens did not survive the process of removal.

Oddly enough it would seem that glass lenses don't get along very well with concrete floors.
OOPS, At least it wasn't the camera!
10-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
OOPS, At least it wasn't the camera!
My thoughts exactly!
10-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

that will buff out. give it the ole lens pen treatment.
10-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
that will buff out. give it the ole lens pen treatment.
I pretty sure when the lens pen goes through the front element it's a bit more serious than that
10-02-2014, 05:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just think of it as an exotic special effects filter; I'm sure the results will be interesting.
10-02-2014, 06:27 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch. Hopefully it is not one of your favourite lenses.

You could list it for auction and describe the lens as having "...minor cleaning marks on the front element...shouldn't affect IQ" (just kidding)