Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #1

Sears 135MM F. 2.8 208304 doesn't mount

I bought this lens off of ebay and it said that it had a Pentax mount but it sure doesn't fit in my KR. In the discussion group it didn't say this needed an adapter and doesn't look like it should but it doesn't mount. Does anyone know?

10-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is an "Auto Sears MC 1:2.8 f=135mm 52D No.827603" with the K mount.
It is quite a good lens and I hope you get your problem resolved OK.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
10-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ricoh pin I suppose.. need to open the mount and remove it. Try searching on forum - it was somewhere explained I recall.
EDIT: Does it fit inside the mount but wouldn't rotate and lock in place full ? Or it doesn't '*fit* inside the mount at all ?
10-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In my experience with the Ricoh pin, it will mount just fine. It's when you try to un-mount it that the horror show begins.

There's a chance that the lens could be a Canon, Nikon or Minolta - Sears wasn't exclusively a Pentax mount. A shot of the mount would probably be the easiest way to answer this for you.

10-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
In my experience with the Ricoh pin, it will mount just fine. It's when you try to un-mount it that the horror show begins.
I had a lens ( Miranda was it ? ) with KR mount cap and it wouldn't mount . I figured later that it was because of pin - I didn't force it , but it clearly wouldn't turn to lock inside the mount. I didn't take the mount apart but simple filed down the pin and it mounted just fine.
10-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
I had a lens ( Miranda was it ? ) with KR mount cap and it wouldn't mount . I figured later that it was because of pin - I didn't force it , but it clearly wouldn't turn to lock inside the mount. I didn't take the mount apart but simple filed down the pin and it mounted just fine.
In that case, I'll say its the pin as well. Its a simple enough operation to remove - you can grind it down like Manntax did, or if you feel brave unscrew the mount, pick the offending pin out and throw it away, then reattach the mount.

I did the 'remove the mount and remove the pin' trick for all my KR lenses.

Actually... since it's a Sears it should have KR or somesuch stamped right on the lens along the aperture ring. That would be the kind of mount that lens has on it.

EDIT: This is what the markings on my Sears 135mm 'A' look like.

---------- Post added 10-03-14 at 08:22 PM ----------

Also, FWIW, where my kens says "KR", Sears Pentax mounts should say "KA". "KR", or "PK" if memory serves.

Canon would be CA and/or AE.

Nikon... now that I think of it, I don't think Sears sold Nikon mounts, at least in the 135 - I don't remember ever really seeing any.

Minolta would be M and/or MD.

I'm probably forgetting something, but those would be the most common mounts.

Last edited by Sagitta; 10-03-2014 at 05:23 PM.
10-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
Forum Member

The lens may have an oversized shield on it, this may be hitting the SDM contacts, keeping the lens from fully mounting. The shield can be trimmed down.

Rick

10-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Without seeing the mount it is really difficult to say exactly.

If the lens doesn't have a "P" or "A" setting it won't have a pin, if it does the pin could be catching on the auto focus screw when you try to mount it, if that is the case deal with the pin before continuing to try to mount the lens.

NIkon mounts look very similar to Pentax mounts. If it is a Nikon it should still fit, but will turn the opposite direction and wont be tight when fully mounted.

More than likely though, if it is a PK lens and won't mount, Rick hit the nail on the head, it probably has too large of a flange / shield next to the aperture arm which is hitting the SDM contact inside your camera. The first day I had my brand new K10D I took a big chunk out of my SDM contact when I forced a SIgma lens onto my camera that had a flange that was just a tiny bit too big. I learned that lesson real fast. In checking my lenses I had several with flanges that were so big that they wouldn't mount at all. The flange can be CAREFULLY filed down to allow clearance, you can actually remove it all together, just make sure to protect the rear elements when you do.

Steve
10-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #9

The only mount that would confuse you with kr mount is the one made for konica which has KAR as its mount mark. Your lens is likely pentax k mount variant for ricoh. I had the same

problem with my rikenon 50.
The problem was the screws that hold the flange to the body were too tight
Try to loosen those screws a bit and see if it will work
I also agree with Steve.
Some KR lenses have big or taller and wider lever guard. you can either file or just remove the lever guard. Dont forget to fix the ricoh pin before mounting your lens to your camera body. It should be covered or permanently pressed down with glue or epoxy
10-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lakai Quote
The only mount that would confuse you with kr mount is the one made for konica which has KAR as its mount mark. Your lens is likely pentax k mount variant for ricoh. I had the same

problem with my rikenon 50.
The problem was the screws that hold the flange to the body were too tight
Try to loosen those screws a bit and see if it will work
I also agree with Steve.
Some KR lenses have big or taller and wider lever guard. you can either file or just remove the lever guard. Dont forget to fix the ricoh pin before mounting your lens to your camera body. It should be covered or permanently pressed down with glue or epoxy
Unless the Sears 135mm was made with different flanges, I don't think this is the case - I have 4 of the things (non-macro, 2 macros, and a macro-A) and never ran into a non-mounting issue.

I don't think its a flange issue, I suspect its probably a non-PK mount that someone claimed was because 80% of all other Sears lenses are PKs and it has enough of a similarity that at a glance someone assumed it was a Pentax. The Minolta mount looks enough like a PK that without double checking it could be mistaken until you went to mount the thing and it wouldn't 'stick'.
10-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a catalog of Sears lenses. I don't know if this is complete.The only other idea would be if the mount was a C/Y or Contax/Yashica. It would insert and turn just part of the way and then stop. It would stop because the tabs on the C/Y mount are thicker than that of a Pentax K mount. Zeiss helped Pentax design the K mount and then designed their C/Y mount in the same way - with an increased tab thickness, so that the lenses would not be interchangeable (Contax glass on Pentax bodies). I don't know how the lens mount would be marked if its a C/Y mount.

If its really a C/Y mount, then you can use a dremel on the tabs to shave their thickness down. Rio Rico had a procedure for this. Not suggested for use on an actual Contax Zeiss lens as you will destroy its value.
10-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Here is a catalog of Sears lenses. I don't know if this is complete.The only other idea would be if the mount was a C/Y or Contax/Yashica. It would insert and turn just part of the way and then stop. It would stop because the tabs on the C/Y mount are thicker than that of a Pentax K mount. Zeiss helped Pentax design the K mount and then designed their C/Y mount in the same way - with an increased tab thickness, so that the lenses would not be interchangeable (Contax glass on Pentax bodies). I don't know how the lens mount would be marked if its a C/Y mount.

If its really a C/Y mount, then you can use a dremel on the tabs to shave their thickness down. Rio Rico had a procedure for this. Not suggested for use on an actual Contax Zeiss lens as you will destroy its value.
That list is horribly inaccurate as well as incomplete.

AFAIK, Sears never produced lenses for some of the brands listed. It also has the same 135 listed twice, and fails to list the other two variants that I know of.

F'rnstance, there are two Sears "Yashicas" listed on fleaBay at the moment, but one clearly has PK stamped on it, and the other OM. I've never seen a Sears in a Yashica mount. Doesn't mean it may not have existed, but I would be very surprised if it did.

Sears did not produce their own lenses (they outsourced, mostly from Ricoh, Tokina, Toyo, and Samyang as far as I've been able to determine), and since they used (mostly) Pentax mount cameras rebadged from Ricoh, Chinon and, very briefly, Mamiya/Sekor, that's what they pushed for resale. They only stocked lenses with other 'big name' mounts because they had expectations to probably sell the things. If you were a small or even a medium sized camera brand, you most likely wouldn't find a Sears with your mount in it because the economics for the department store weren't there.

Roughly (very roughly) speaking, if the lens is Sears and "Made in Japan" its probably a Tokina or a Ricoh. If its Korean its probably a Samyang or a Toyo, which supposedly was actually a Sun (making it doubly rebadged).

I can't remember where the Chinons were made, but they weren't very common compared to the otehrs. Every Sears SLR was a Ricoh with the exception of the 500 and 1000 MX (those were Mamaya) and the KSX-P (that was the Chinon, and it only really came into play at the tail end of Sears' involvement with rebranding its stuff anyhow).

That 135mm macro is probably a re-rebadged Sun/Toyo. I vaguely remember stumbling over a manual ages ago before the Sears LBA bug hit me that had Toyo USA listed as the maker. I wish I'd kept it in hindsight.

At any rate, the bottom line is that Sears branded lenses had to almost always mount on a Ricoh made SLR. Yes, they outsourced, but if that lens didn't meet Ricoh specs, it couldn't be used since they usually bundled a KS camera with at minimum a 50mm and then pushed to sell the 28mm and 135mm to go with it, as those three focal lengths were the standard primes back in the day.

Faux Edit: This came out looking way more snippy than I intended it to be. All's cool in the pool, I just have done a lot of OCD digging on the topic at hand.
10-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I can't remember where the Chinons were made, but they weren't very common compared to the otehrs. Every Sears SLR was a Ricoh with the exception of the 500 and 1000 MX (those were Mamaya) and the KSX-P (that was the Chinon, and it only really came into play at the tail end of Sears' involvement with rebranding its stuff anyhow).
I have an old Chinon camera and a couple of Chinon lenses. They are marked Made in Japan. My stuff is M42 vintage although they later cameras and lenses used K mount. The lenses are very good. Chinon was a Japanese company that was bought out by Kodak in the 90's. They were still in operation building Kodak products up until Kodak went into bankruptcy. I have no idea what their status is today.
10-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #14

Original Poster
I think this is for a cannon. When I put the lens in, it seems to be just a little bit smaller than my opening. It came with a cannon lens cap on it. I wrote the seller and she told me someone said they "thought" it was a pentax lens and that is why she listed it as such. I'm sending it back. The serial number is 208304
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by majboyd; 10-06-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: add serial number
10-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #15
Forum Member

That looks like a m-42 screw mount, you would need an adapter for this lens to fit your camera. Pentax makes one and there are after market ones on ebay.

Rick