Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

getting the DA 40mm XS

I already have the DA 35 ltd. 2.8 and the FA 50 1.4.

I'm tempted to buy a used copy of the DA 40 XS, and here's the embarrassing part....I'm tempted because it looks so cool on the camera (I have a k-30), it's cheap, and I'm curious to see how compact the camera becomes. I don't really know that I'll get much more use out of that focal length than from the two lenses I've already mentioned. It just seems like a fun buy given the reasonable price.

Would you do it?

10-05-2014, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I thought most people bought it for its look/size?
10-05-2014, 02:10 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anselesn Quote
I don't really know that I'll get much more use out of that focal length than from the two lenses I've already mentioned.
I don't understand the question.....
10-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm tempted to buy a used copy of the DA 40 XS, and here's the embarrassing part....I'm tempted because it looks so cool on the camera (I have a k-30), it's cheap, and I'm curious to see how compact the camera becomes. I don't really know that I'll get much more use out of that focal length than from the two lenses I've already mentioned. It just seems like a fun buy given the reasonable price.

Would you do it?
No, I'd take the money and buy a used DA21 Ltd. They are often available for around $300.

10-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Would you do it?
Being able to have a prime that's so compact is a real treat, and it can certainly come in handy. I'd go for it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all. That's good enough for me. Luftfluss, I'd love to pick up the 21, but at the moment I'm not feeling that extravagant. Maybe next week
10-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There's nothing embarrassing about contemplating a lens purchase. Like any purchase, it's important to be honest with yourself.

The +5 / -10 mm difference between your two other lenses is minimal for the most part. You could make up for it by zooming in and out with your feet. Don't get it for the focal length.

It is a decent performer at f/2.8 but your DA 35 and FA 50 will run circles around it. Don't get this lens if you have a fetish for pixel peeping.

The most salient feature of this lens is its size. Being small makes it very lightweight! If you want to have as small of a DSLR package as possible then the lens is a good fit (literally). It's a great travel lens, like going on vacation. I took this lens and my DA 18-135mm on my trip to Legoland with the family. It was easy to fit in my camera bag and it worked great in low light. So, I would say get it primarily for its physical features.

A less talked about feature of this lens is that it covers the traditional 35mm film frame. I've used this on my ZX-60 with good results. There's a catch though - no aperture ring! The lens operates as if it is permanently stuck in the "A" position. Ideally you would want a body with Av shooting capabilities. My ZX-60 has this. I suppose you could go into Tv mode and manipulate the shutter speed until you get the right aperture you want. Same result but different way of going about it. Get this lens if you are looking for full frame coverage You have a FA 50mm so maybe this isn't a big selling point for you.

Other than that, if you want this lens then go for it. Get it. Use it. Enjoy it. Sometimes new gear can be a source of inspiration because you want to exercise it. During those random moments of trying out new gear you may find yourself shooting something you never would have otherwise.

10-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
6BQ5

Thank you. This is a really thoughtful and helpful reply. Your comment about the inspiration of something new was truly helpful.
10-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not go for it if you like the look of it. I am tempted myself with one of these as my wife has one on her bumble bee K-01 and it makes a great combination.
10-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello

I did it January last year (had just the 50mm 1.4, not the other lens you have) and for the same reasons…
Bought it here (in the marketplace) and unfortunately it does back focus in both my cameras (KX and K100DS).
So… installed the access to Debug Mode in the Kx, adjusted the focus (12) and can get pretty sharp shots with it at 3.2 (at 2.8 is still good but not tag sharp).
I’m thinking on trying the same procedure in the K100DS and let it stay with this lens for the time being… will see how it goes - correction ! - the access to Debug Mode explained in “Pentax DSLR and Camera Articles” does not work with K100D Super (it’s stated in the post) but just with the K100D, sorry for the incorrect information.
Besides of my “bad luck”, my advice is go for it, it will make your K30 super compact (it’s like just having the body of the camera…)

Best regards,

Last edited by ddharriman; 10-08-2014 at 03:19 PM.
10-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get it. Pluses: rounded blades, tiny size, $200 or less, good IQ, usable on certain film cams as mentioned. Minuses: non-standard filter size, you WILL lose the lens cap, in-between-focal length (according to some). I prefer 40mm on 135 to 40mm on APS-C, but I still like it and find it quite useful on my K-5II. I mean, what, do people with zooms just skip from 35 to 50mm?

Also, it fits in this, sans rear cap. If you're curious about it, just get it. If you buy used you won't lose much if any $$$. Can't see myself parting with mine anytime soon.
10-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still have a *istDS. As compact kits go it doesn't get much tidier than the smallest Pentax DSLR body with any of the DA 40's mounted. I often pocket a 12mm extension ring for opportunistic, garden-variety close-ups. The DS also allows the use of a compact, non-PTTL flash.
10-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all. I made the purchase tonight. Now just the waiting.
10-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I got mine because it came free on my K-01, I just love that lens. The 40XS adn my 21ltd go almost everywhere with me. because they can.
10-06-2014, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Would you do it?
Photography is for fun, of course you should get it