Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
Igilligan

Weird lens advice needed DA 50-135

A K100d and a DA 50-135? anyone have this strange combo?

If you would have told me 10 months ago that I would be considering a lens for my K100 that costs twice what I paid for the camera...... well you know...

I recently picked up a tamron 28-75 2.8, and it quickly became my favorite lens. I decided I will not go back to variable ap slow glass zooms again. So I want some more reach at 2.8 constant ap and I have seen beautiful shots with the DA 50-135. I realize that the SDM/weather seal is lost on my old body but someday, maybe a K20/30 will be my body of choice.

Is there a third party F2.8 zoom with 135mm+ that I should be looking at? Or a pentax one in the pipeline?

Thanks for your help... You all steered me in the right direction with the tamron so I am listening...

05-15-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do what I did, I upgraded to a K100D Super for the SDM. I think you'll definitely see a discernable improvement in focusing speed.
05-15-2008, 03:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Tamron is coming out with a 70-200mm f/2.8 that is priced at $700. No definitive word on a release date yet, but that would be a good match for you IMO.
05-15-2008, 04:04 AM   #4
Banned

if you are happy with the 50-135 then I think the best bet for you would be to sell the k100 and upgrade to the super, it will be far less expensive than buying another lens, particularly since you already have a great lens in the 50-135 and it will give you SDM while retaining the small size and weight of the 100. I cant think of any good reason to not upgrade your body in this case it just makes more sense.

05-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
If you would have told me 10 months ago that I would be considering a lens for my K100 that costs twice what I paid for the camera...... well you know...
Even if you consider that I bought my *istD within a few months of its release, and the K10D when one appeared at my local store 20 minutes before I bought it, also shortly after release, (hence at a relitively high price) and add the cost of my 3 film cameras on top of that, the cost of my lens collection far exceeds the cost of ALL 5 of my camera bodies.

Keep in mind also that I have bought 6 of my lenses used, (at a discount to what they go for in the market place today) and one at a store closing and product line phase out, (hence I am a bargin hunter) and you can see easily that you should expect to spend far far more on lenses than cameras. Why, because they last.

In that respect pentax has taken very good care of it's long term users.

Also keep in mind, camera bodies really only do 2 functions, 1 is hold the lens at the correct distance to the sansor (and square to it) and 2, control the shutter. Virtually all else related to image quality is the lens
05-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Tamron is coming out with a 70-200mm f/2.8 that is priced at $700. No definitive word on a release date yet, but that would be a good match for you IMO.
I'll second that. That should be a good match for you 28-75. Not sure when it will be out, though. The Tamron rep I talked to last weekend said he gave up trying to get a date and is now just telling people it will be the fall. That way, he feels safer in his answer.

If you decide to upgrade bodies, then I'd say get the 50-135. It's one sweet lens.
05-16-2008, 12:33 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2 Sigmas

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
...Is there a third party F2.8 zoom with 135mm+ that I should be looking at? Or a pentax one in the pipeline?...

Thanks for your help... You all steered me in the right direction with the tamron so I am listening...
I don't know anything about how good/bad these are but to answer your question, there are other then suggested Tamron....
Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd
Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd
BR