Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Virtually all Pentax lenses where people whine about being too expensive are good investments. All the Limiteds and most of the * lenses. Example; the FA* 200/4 Macro, generally thought to not be worth the money at about $1000 when new, goes for up to $3800 on e-bay.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 10-07-2014 at 01:05 PM.
10-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To ensure a profit on my investment I plate me lenses in 14k gold within a week of purchase and lock them in airtight acrylic boxes, that works every time.
10-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thor Gunderson Quote
Ihave over a short time added some lenses to my precious little collection; Ihave to stop soon, but not yet...
I would like to know your opinionon the life time of these lenses.
I am asking because I havethe 'Sigma 50-150mm 2.8 HSM ii', and I now fell(for a good price) in love withthe 'Sigma 70-200 HSM ii macro' and it is hard to back up my investment of thislens, unless it under little use will last a lot of years (or has the opportunityto do so)
I have some m-lenses that’svery old, will a 'Sigma 70-200 HSM ii macro (from 2009)' last just as long?
Have a nice day
In my experience with camera equipment, you lose money. The question is where do you lose the least amount.

Over the years I have purchased a lot of lenses and camera bodies. After about 4 or 5 years body prices go down substantially. However, it is not so with the lenses. The lenses lose value too but not to the same extent. There is a caveat here and that this is true with premium quality lenses regardless of the manufacturer. For instance, Pentax Limited lenses, Sigma Art lenses and such will hold their value a lot longer and more than "coke bottle" lenses. As a result, I have tried to buy premium quality lens. Although you pay more (sometimes a lot more) initially, but at least when it comes to selling you do not lose as much as say a consumer lens.

Just my two cents.
10-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
In my experience with camera equipment, you lose money. The question is where do you lose the least amount.

Over the years I have purchased a lot of lenses and camera bodies. After about 4 or 5 years body prices go down substantially. However, it is not so with the lenses. The lenses lose value too but not to the same extent. There is a caveat here and that this is true with premium quality lenses regardless of the manufacturer. For instance, Pentax Limited lenses, Sigma Art lenses and such will hold their value a lot longer and more than "coke bottle" lenses. As a result, I have tried to buy premium quality lens. Although you pay more (sometimes a lot more) initially, but at least when it comes to selling you do not lose as much as say a consumer lens.

Just my two cents.

I concur, in general the depreciation rate of camera bodies is much higher by 2-3x factor compared to lenses.

Last edited by Stavri; 10-07-2014 at 02:51 PM.
10-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thor Gunderson Quote
Lenses as an investment?
I wish my wife would agree with that :-)
I usually sell some lenses to fund a new one, which can make she feels better and my decision easier. In that term, I think buying lenses is an investment.
10-08-2014, 04:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I wish my wife would agree with that :-)
I usually sell some lenses to fund a new one, which can make she feels better and my decision easier. In that term, I think buying lenses is an investment.
That's actually how I got my LBA under complete control and shrunk my lens collection to the small size it is now. Best move I ever made: Selling multiple lenses to buy just one of a higher tier. I'd rather just own 3 extremely good lenses that I can take with me and use often then a cupboard full lenses of varying quality and overlapping FL's that I can't all lugg around. I'm now the proud owner of a nice APSC kit of the K3 and K5 with 6 lenses that I really enjoy. And a kit of the A7r with a mere 3 high quality lenses.

(...Well ok, I'm not mentioning my idioticly large collection of Soviet lenses, enlarger lenses and microscope lenses and all the adapters that go with those. But the low resale value of those really warrant the above mentioned method.)
10-08-2014, 05:02 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That's actually how I got my LBA under complete control and shrunk my lens collection to the small size it is now. Best move I ever made: Selling multiple lenses to buy just one of a higher tier. I'd rather just own 3 extremely good lenses that I can take with me and use often then a cupboard full lenses of varying quality and overlapping FL's that I can't all lugg around. I'm now the proud owner of a nice APSC kit of the K3 and K5 with 6 lenses that I really enjoy. And a kit of the A7r with a mere 3 high quality lenses.

(...Well ok, I'm not mentioning my idioticly large collection of Soviet lenses, enlarger lenses and microscope lenses and all the adapters that go with those. But the low resale value of those really warrant the above mentioned method.)
That's true, especially since moving up one performance Tier usually requires 2x-3x the investment ( 2-3 lower tier lenses = 1 upper tier one) Right now I'm stocking mostly FF lenses and don't have many holes in my lineup. It seems after a time of purchasing frenzy one reaches a plateau and settles in.

10-08-2014, 05:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
It seems after a time of purchasing frenzy one reaches a plateau and settles in.
Very recognizable. Moreover, when new to the hobby fresh photographers often have their interests all over the place. But once settled in the equipment can be finetuned for their personal shooting style. For me, that was heavily in the (ultra)wide-angle to normal FL's. For others that my be in the longer lengths, or still all over the place.
10-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting concept.

I consider my lenses an investment in a quality photographic experience. But in that respect my lens collection is one chosen carefully, carefully on the following principles:

1. Versatile - FF capability for that future FF pentax digital camera, an existing film camera or another system if pentax cameras cease to exist (there will always be an adapter)
2. Quality - optical design and build, it could be manual or autofocus
3. Desirable - the lens has qualities that are either timeless or are simply so good that it is unlikely that another would significantly exceed its capabilities

I care little for weather sealed. Care for your lenses and they will last.

Ultimately, if you are patient and watchful you will find the good buys and steadily assemble the toolbox without it costing a fortune.

If you buy well, then your 'investment' should at least break even if forced to sell due to the above principles (probably would not be that hard to find a buyer at a good price). But, such calamity is rare. The greater likelihood is that the lenses would remain with you for your lifetime and become a heirloom for future generations. Meanwhile, the joy they bring will certainly cancel the expense.

In saying the above I have to say that my SMC Takumar 85mm f1.8, Pentax K 28/2 and Pentax A* 200/4 are good investments in the broader sense.
10-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #25
Forum Member

I have often wondered about the resale pricing effect on the elite A* and FA* lenses if there is a release of a full frame pentax. It would seem that there would be a fairly quick jump in the already lofty cost of these lenses (unless pentax released better modern equivalents with the full frame body).
10-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sandpipe Quote
I have often wondered about the resale pricing effect on the elite A* and FA* lenses if there is a release of a full frame pentax. It would seem that there would be a fairly quick jump in the already lofty cost of these lenses (unless pentax released better modern equivalents with the full frame body).
Depends if the FF Pentax will still use the K-mount or not.

There's a lot of hoarders counting on the FF introduction to increase the prices.
10-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I'm pretty rough on my gear. I backpack, kayak, and ride motorcycles and a camera and a few lenses are always along. I bought all of them to use. My old MF glass was picked up so cheap that any "investment" isn't really worth considering although I suppose I could sell some of it and make a few bucks. That said, I probably won't.
10-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Depends if the FF Pentax will still use the K-mount or not.

There's a lot of hoarders counting on the FF introduction to increase the prices.
I have pondered this issue for some time and have concluded that the K mount will be preserved. Why?

Well the Pentax brand is built on its legacy - the best form of marketing. Why rubbish that with a change in mount (hence destroy the legacy).

Moreover, Pentax has a suite of patents and optical knowledge that does not need re-inventing. Sure a tweek here and there within the bounds of the patent is needed for digital sensors but ultimately the optical knowledge is well worth preserving from a business perspective.

The fact that there is a hoard of high quality legacy glass out there is a MASSIVE advantage to the Ricoh marketing strategy. All they have to do is pump out a sensational camera body and bang - gazillions of pentax lovers clamor for their fill. What follows is a wave of high quality photography and reviews fueling 'new' entrants into the Pentax brand (if they got their camera body right). Next, these newbies buy the modern lenses further adding to the Pentax profit. Ultimately these newbies mature and start buying some legacy glass, thus completing the lifestyle of a Pentaxian ....

As far as resale goes, the price can only go up (if Pentax preserve the optics formula in new lenses). There will always be minor differences but these will be minor and somewhat negligible (coatings for example). The reason why I say this is simply because the cost of remanurfacturing legacy glass to the historical build standards would cost a bomb. Take my FA* 80-200mm - sending that beast by mail order international would cost over $50 alone ....... it weighs a lot because of the glass and metal finish.

The FF debate is another one entirely - if Pentax do produce one (which from a marketing perspective I think they should - re-affirm their legacy) then the process is probably a complex one. To re-affirm their legacy I suspect that they are systematically testing sensor performance with legacy glass so that the 'lifecycle' mentioned above can actually happen ...... it would not surprise me that producing sensor performance at the FF scale using legacy glass is not that simple.
10-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

While a lens is a much better investment than a camera I would not consider either investment vehicles.
While most of us love the Pentax build and quality, we are in a minority. Pentax would most likely be less of an investment than Nikon or Canon which is a lot more marketable to a greater number of users.
Leica lenses on the other hand are more coveted and hold their value better and in some cases actually appreciate with age. I'm sure there will be opposing opinions on this view....
10-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
While a lens is a much better investment than a camera I would not consider either investment vehicles.
While most of us love the Pentax build and quality, we are in a minority. Pentax would most likely be less of an investment than Nikon or Canon which is a lot more marketable to a greater number of users. )
The expensive Pentax lenses hold their value much better than comparable (if they exist) Nikon and Canon lenses due to their scarcity.