Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm going to go with a different line here. Our camera equipment is not so much an investment as it is a piece of consumable capital equipment. We buy lenses for a certain dollar value to mount on our cameras which cost another dollar value to produce images, photos, prints, etc. The output has value to us whether it is financial (professionals) or otherwise (hobbyists). As a hobbyist, I look at a lens and ask if the dollar value of it is worth the enjoyment I would get out of it. It's very subjective. Some lenses are worth it to me like my FA 50mm f/1.4 that I obsess over. Prices for used copies hover at around $200. IQ is great. It's FF. Other lenses are either too expensive for my budget and lifestyle or just don't interest me. Professionals will look at a system costing X dollars and see if they can produce something worth 10 * X! That's their answer to the investment question.

Lenses are mechanical devices. They spin, twist, open, and close. Over time they will wear out. It may be a very long time but that time will come. They are consumable but still durable. Lenses have a dynamic supply. More can be made. Compare all of that with gold. Gold by itself will not wear out and there's a fixed supply in the world - whether recovered or not.

10-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are good investments out there... for australians!
Due to super expensive shipping rates, see what happens:
Takumar 500mm f4.5 for next to nothing!

The guy who won the auction made a nice investment. Definitely.
Pristine, caps, case... for about 200 euros!

---------- Post added 13-10-14 at 09:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
..... neither of those (camera, lenses) can really be considered an asset (unless you're a pro earning money using them), they are not really a good thing to invest* in. This was, I believe, the OP question.

* - invest in purely financial sense. Investing your time & money in a nice hobby, which photography is, for your own pleasure is perfectly fine.
That's not absolutely and invariably true.
It is true for the average people, with average knowledge and competence, not for the few who can "sniff" how the market will develop.
It is like art. With photographic tools is the same, not much difference.
A friend of mine bought paints/drawings made by Basquiat and Herring, when the authors were alive and well, and prices very low. Now the market value probably is 50x the original investment.
Just imagine going back in time, not too long ago, just a little more than a decade, and buy soft focus large format lenses at the end of the nineties, or high-quality 16mm cine primes (TTH, Zeiss, Angenieux, Dallmeyer, etc) at ridiculously low prices, just before the advent of the NEX and the m4/3 cameras.

So the right answer is: Unlikely? YES. Possible? YES gain.

cheers

P

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 10-13-2014 at 08:24 PM.
10-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
I don't think that point is missed. It's just a matter of terminology. As neither of those (camera, lenses) can really be considered an asset (unless you're a pro earning money using them), they are not really a good thing to invest* in. This was, I believe, the OP question.

* - invest in purely financial sense. Investing your time & money in a nice hobby, which photography is, for your own pleasure is perfectly fine.
No

He asked whether considering the life time of the lens, if it was a worthwhile investment. My example shows lenses are much more worthwhile investments than cameras. I think I pretty well hit the nail on the head. Lenses outlast camera bodies in term so useful life
10-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
No

He asked whether considering the life time of the lens, if it was a worthwhile investment. My example shows lenses are much more worthwhile investments than cameras. I think I pretty well hit the nail on the head. Lenses outlast camera bodies in term so useful life

Yup, I went now to read it. I guess I chimed in once the discussion of investment value started. Or I misread it completely.