Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by iamwhoiam Quote
I have an 8700. Bought it last year when Costco was offering it at a great price. Did not plan on buying a Dell because of my negative experiences with them but it was a great deal and purchasing it from Costco I knew that they would stand behind the product. I want to upgrade the GPU and will probably have to upgrade the power supply. Hope you like your new system.
And how was your experience with this one so far ?
on my side, I always had good experience with Dell (we use to buy the work systems from Dell), and My laptop (Latitude E6530 that I bought refurbished) is really a great performer so far...
no issues

---------- Post added 2014-11-30 at 18:15 ----------

Anyone have seen a deal on a portable mini studio like this ?
http://www.amazon.ca/Polaroid-Portable-Includes-Carrying-Backdrops/dp/B0057OX3JY

11-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All of you have far more will-power than I did this year. I ended up buying the 2 silver lenses I intended to buy (15 and 21), then gave up and just ordered the DFA 100WR. Did I ever go over-budget, even with the sale prices. I've been resisting that macro lens for years, probably since it came out. I can't tell you how many times I put it in a cart and talked myself out of it.

I'm glad the 15 is coming first, it's the one I think I'll need the most time with to make a friend of it. I'll have an entire day with it before getting the other 2. I'm now very, very impatient!
11-30-2014, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
All of you have far more will-power than I did this year. I ended up buying the 2 silver lenses I intended to buy (15 and 21), then gave up and just ordered the DFA 100WR. Did I ever go over-budget, even with the sale prices. I've been resisting that macro lens for years, probably since it came out. I can't tell you how many times I put it in a cart and talked myself out of it.

I'm glad the 15 is coming first, it's the one I think I'll need the most time with to make a friend of it. I'll have an entire day with it before getting the other 2. I'm now very, very impatient!
All great lenses you have coming. I just saw your post in the Macro Flower thread about your reasoning for the 100WR. Over the years a lot of lenses have come and gone for me, but the 100WR is like a staple for me. Not only as a macro lens in which it excels, but I've used it as a walk about lens here in the big woods. I sure hope you plan on keeping all 3!

11-30-2014, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member

I refuse to look at any more Black Friday ads..I'm done and way over budget for the year....
The only thing that will get me excited now is a Pentax FF..

11-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
All great lenses you have coming. I just saw your post in the Macro Flower thread about your reasoning for the 100WR. Over the years a lot of lenses have come and gone for me, but the 100WR is like a staple for me. Not only as a macro lens in which it excels, but I've used it as a walk about lens here in the big woods. I sure hope you plan on keeping all 3!
I'm definitely going to keep all 3 lenses. I didn't strictly need the 21 but I'm looking forward to having AF - I'll hang onto my K 24 f2.8 but probably won't use it much. I may decide later to sell the Vivitar Series One 105, depending on how things go with the 100WR and how I feel as time goes on. It would be really hard to part with it, I've always loved that lens.

These 3 plus what I already have should take care of just about any situation I can think of - lightweight options: 10-17, 15, 21, 31, 35, 40, 77, 100WR. WR: 16-50, 50-135, 100WR, 200, 300. I'll still have K 24 f2.8, M50 f1.4 and f1.7, Viv 105, A300, 1.7AFA and a variety of other things/accessories. Next year my Black Friday purchases will be something other than lenses!
12-01-2014, 01:32 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
And how was your experience with this one so far ?
on my side, I always had good experience with Dell (we use to buy the work systems from Dell), and My laptop (Latitude E6530 that I bought refurbished) is really a great performer so far...
no issues

---------- Post added 2014-11-30 at 18:15 ----------

Anyone have seen a deal on a portable mini studio like this ?
http://www.amazon.ca/Polaroid-Portable-Includes-Carrying-Backdrops/dp/B0057OX3JY
The 8700 (knock on wood) has been good. I have multiple Dell computers and I just don't like dealing with their terrible customer service and tech support department as well as some of their bait and switch tactics and false advertising. A few other things rubbed me the wrong way but won't go into detail. Nonetheless, here I am with another Dell again but I went through Costco and if there is a problem I can contact Costco's concierge service and they contact Dell and stay on the phone w/ the tech person and serve as a mediator so you get better service.

---------- Post added 12-01-14 at 12:34 AM ----------

The 100WR is one of my favorite lenses. Excellent image quality and a joy to use.
12-01-2014, 05:14 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just saw the 100WR on Amazon for $558.49 this morning.

12-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the Sigma!

I caved on a desktop that I've wanted for a while - note I said wanted and not needed. Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 processor, 12GB DDR3 ram, lots of USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, plus an SSD to use as the primary O/S drive.

This is the first Black Friday not buying any lenses. I've whittled down to my favorite 4 lenses now and am very happy with what I have.
Thanks, it should be here today or tomorrow. My old Sigma 70-300 has been a good lens for me for several years but I dropped it a couple of years ago and the zoom hasn't been right although it still focuses OK. I have been using 135, 200, and 300mm MF primes a lot and the old Sigma has become my macro/close up lens for when I'm out on the water in the kayak. I've been using a K300/4 for birds and wildlife and throwing a TC on for extra reach. It's been OK but I really needed an AF long zoom.

I will be upgrading or replacing our computers next year I think.
12-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iamwhoiam Quote
The 8700 (knock on wood) has been good. I have multiple Dell computers and I just don't like dealing with their terrible customer service and tech support department as well as some of their bait and switch tactics and false advertising. A few other things rubbed me the wrong way but won't go into detail. Nonetheless, here I am with another Dell again but I went through Costco and if there is a problem I can contact Costco's concierge service and they contact Dell and stay on the phone w/ the tech person and serve as a mediator so you get better service.
Well, I think Dell has a better corporate client service than home user's