Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Black Friday Lens Deals - are you waiting?

I don't mean this to be so much a price discussion - maybe more of what some of our members think about the usual Pentax Black Friday deals that should be upcoming again this year.

A couple years ago there was quite a frenzy if I remember correctly since it was soon after the huge MAP price increase on lenses. But last year (2013) just didn't seem to get as much attention. Since Pentax started doing these price drops on Black Friday - which is something in the line of dropping their MAP for 4 days - I usually get to thinking of what I may want to add to my collection if I have some funds to spare.

But then also I think it was last March when then did a similar price drop - don't remember exactly if the prices in the March sale were better than the previous Black Friday or not.

I really only have one lens I covet right now - the DA* 16-50. I had bought one used some years back that turned out to be not the greatest - quickly dying SDM and somewhat decentered elements - I kind of lost interest in it. But from what I understand the new ones that folks have acquired have been perfect copies. But since then my financial situation has changed and I look really hard at the prices now. List price of $1297 with last Black Friday's price of $849. Actually a hefy discount but don't know if I will be swinging it this year.

For reference, here is last year's Black Friday pricing list:

Black Friday Pentax Lens Deals - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com

Anyone getting ready and/or waiting to pull the trigger on a lens this year?

Also to add - Pentax has really been discounting their bodies this year - actually amazing prices. Do you think this will reflect on the upcoming lens prices. Is this something like heavily discounting the bodies so people will pay higher prices for lenses - like the selling of printers really cheap so they get their profit on ink sales?

10-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I really want for Christmas is the 16-85........
Also was waiting for Black Friday to get the HD 1.4x RC but since they have run a number of sales and never put it on the list I finally went ahead and bought it, full price.

So at this point there is nothing in the 'new' category that I even want until the 16-85 is released. Hoping, but really doubt it will be out in time for any Black Friday sale.
10-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So at this point there is nothing in the 'new' category that I even want until the 16-85 is released. Hoping, but really doubt it will be out in time for any Black Friday sale.
They said December at Photokina, so it will likely not be out yet, unfortuantely. Plus, discounts on new lenses tend to be low (i.e $50-100 off the $1000 20-40mm, for example). I just hope they price the lens reasonably: hopefully $599 so it's only a bit more than the 18-135.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This year i'm eyeing either a DA 55-300 WR or the DA 10-17mm Fisheye lens... I am leaning towards the DA 55-300 WR... It might come down to whichever is the better deal.... Either way I will most likely add something to my collection since this is the best time of year to buy something, and I probably won't consider buying another lens until Black Friday 2015

10-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I don't mean this to be so much a price discussion - maybe more of what some of our members think about the usual Pentax Black Friday deals that should be upcoming again this year.
I expect the DA* lenses to be offered with the largest discounts because those are the most expensive lenses, with the most profit margin for B&H and Adorama to play with. I have the 16-50 from last Black Friday and don't have an urgent need for the other DA* zooms. A DA 21 or DFA 100 Macro sale could convince me to fill a gap in my lens lineup if I don't buy used first.
10-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I will certainly be looking. I can't really say I'm waiting for anything in particular. There are several lenses I want and none of them I can afford at current prices but if a really awesome deal comes along, I'll jump on it.
10-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nope :-) Black Friday is becoming known as Gray Friday because the sale is now spread out wider than just Friday. Cyber Monday is when retail kicks in now.

10-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm looking forward to a hefty discount on the K-3 body only. I'd like to see that for $750. We'll see......
10-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only new lens I truly covet is the DA 300/4... but I won't be forking over a G-note for a lens.

Perhaps a new body...

Last edited by luftfluss; 10-07-2014 at 06:16 PM.
10-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I had been waiting for Black Friday for the 77mm, but I snagged that at the sale last month (last month?) Then, I was waiting for Black Friday for the 40mm, but I bought a used copy. So, for the moment, I'm out of lenses I want!
10-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The only new lens I truly covet is the DA 300/2.8...
Yeah, I would be interested in that as well. But I think it will be significantly more than $1k. That would give us 420 f/4 with the RC.

---------- Post added 10-07-14 at 06:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I expect the DA* lenses to be offered with the largest discounts because those are the most expensive lenses,
Logically they are also the next group to get an HD upgrade so steep discounts to clear SMC inventory might indicate a new set of DA* lenses are in the works.
10-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I am pretty much set on lenses. There is only one that is on my 'want list'--the 77mm, but as it stands my 70mm is fine.

The thing that is really getting me is the K-3. I can't help but to keep on eyeballing that thing.

The only thing that's been holding me back is that I have a perfectly fine K-5 and other goals in mind for other things including saving money.
10-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yeah, I would be interested in that as well. But I think it will be significantly more than $1k. That would give us 420 f/4 with the RC.
Oops, I typoed. I meant the 300/4. Fixed my post.
10-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Oops, I typoed. I meant the 300/4. Fixed my post.
No, no, no! Don't do that. Maybe we can get a rumor going that a 300 f/2.8 is imminent and Ricoh will have to build one then, because people saw it on the internet.
10-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Might have gone for the 18-135mm but not now. The K-30 White about killed the gear budget for the rest of the year... :P