Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Forego LBA to try to keep someone a Pentaxian?

I was feeding my daily LBA looking through some ebay listings and I came across a lens where the listing stated something along the lines of: "The reason I am selling my wonderful Pentax equipment is my editors push to move me into the digital world for their ease."

As much as I wanted to see what else he had I sent him a message stating that he could use all his equipment with new Pentax DSLRs. I bought my 70-300 locally from somone who didn't know this and was very disappointed that she had invested so much into another system when she didn't have to. The lister stated that he has already committed to a new Nikon system but was very grateful that I went out and told him this info.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I would think so since this community is very supportive of each other and willing to help those who ask.

05-15-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've done similar stuff a couple of times. Sometimes if a listing for an older camera has missing or inaccurate information I will send the seller the correct info. Most are glad to get it and update their listings. One of the most common things I do is while browsing twin-lens reflex auctions is to contact the sellers of rangefinders and tell them that they would probably have better luck listing their cameras in the appropriate section. It's amazing how many people think their old rangefinders are TLRs.
05-15-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
Banned

that seems a little strange to me, how could someone who shoots pentax not know that there lenses can be used, I mean pentax backwards compatibility is probably its best selling point and is something pentax has been bragging about for a long time. I thought this was common knowledge to all pentaxians?
05-15-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe not all Pentaxians know this. He is also selling his Super ME which he had been using up until this point.

05-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would and have done that a few times as well. I saw a listing about a year ago that was totally messed up and just had to write the seller. Gear that was worth at least $300 used was about to sell for $0.99. He cancelled the listing and relisted it correctly. Just didn't feel right about taking advantage of a title mistake.

But we have to remember that not everyone reads forums like this. There are thousands of Pentax shooters out there in the wilderness shooting without thousands of posts to advise them of the lens and camera abilities. Look how often the M42 or K/M mount questions come up on this and a few other forums.
05-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I actually know what seller you're talking about, as I looked through his listings. I also considered writing him but then thought he was just listing the lenses that way to explain why he was selling (because everyone wonders why you would sell perfectly good lenses). I just couldn't believe that a working photographic professional using Pentax equipment would not know (or find out) that Pentax has digital SLRs with K-mount.

I'm glad you wrote him; we need to stick together, us Pentaxians.
05-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
Banned

thats what I was getting at. casual film photographers (like those who might have gotten their equipment from family or friends) would likely know nothing about pentax and its history, but a professional photographer who uses and I can only presume has used pentax for a long time, not knowing that pentax still uses the K mount or did no research on pentax when moving to digital? thats a very difficult thing to understand. If I were him pentax would have been the first name I would have done research on since it served me well for what I can only guess is a large number of years. and it would have saved him/the publication? money on unneeded lens purchases when switching. he would have only had to have bought a digital body to fulfill his new needs.
05-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Stop ruining my chances on a FA* 300mm. Ok?

05-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There was a guy out here in minnesota who was selling his for $300USD on craigslist. It went pretty quickly if I remember correctly
05-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

NEVER MENTION THAT AGAIN!
*cries* I only find them for 4k.
05-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
There was a guy out here in minnesota who was selling his for $300USD on craigslist. It went pretty quickly if I remember correctly
Yes it did, but I think his original asking price was $450. He's the guy who sold me my FA 50 f/2.8 macro, and when I was at his house picking it up, I saw the FA* 300 f/4 - and it was mint. He had just sold it for $600 to someone else who was going to pick it up later or the next day. I hinted to him that if he had tried to sell it in this forum or on ebay, he could get significantly more. (I didn't have the cash to lay out an offer at the time, plus I find it distasteful to counter-offer on done deals.)

He looked a little harried, and said people had been emailing him left and right about the $450 FA* 300. He was a very nice guy though - I pointed to the "*" on the barrel and told him about it's significance. He was selling his dad's stuff, and was a Nikon shooter himself and didn't know about Pentax equipment.

Anyway, carry on, sorry to sidetrack, thought it was a neat situation.

05-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Or maybe it got left after someone passed away and the young kids has no idea how much it worth... :ugh: His loss is our gain.

jsherman: haha i didn't read the whole thread, and guess what? I am right :P
05-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Or maybe it got left after someone passed away and the young kids has no idea how much it worth... :ugh: His loss is our gain.
agreed but I don't think I could morally take advantage of someone especially considering the actual price that lens is worth. even if they did fail to do any research before selling. but for an A* 85mm 1.4 I just might be swayed to lock out my moral conscious (I am only human)
05-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Yes it did, but I think his original asking price was $450. He's the guy who sold me my FA 50 f/2.8 macro, and when I was at his house picking it up, I saw the FA* 300 f/4 - and it was mint. He had just sold it for $600 to someone else who was going to pick it up later or the next day. I hinted to him that if he had tried to sell it in this forum or on ebay, he could get significantly more. (I didn't have the cash to lay out an offer at the time, plus I find it distasteful to counter-offer on done deals.)

He looked a little harried, and said people had been emailing him left and right about the $450 FA* 300. He was a very nice guy though - I pointed to the "*" on the barrel and told him about it's significance. He was selling his dad's stuff, and was a Nikon shooter himself and didn't know about Pentax equipment.

Anyway, carry on, sorry to sidetrack, thought it was a neat situation.

So you're the guy who beat me out for it. He told me what you paid for it and you had my offer beat by $10

Alls fair in love and LBA they say
05-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian

lba

So you're the guy who beat me out for it. He told me what you paid for it and you had my offer beat by $10

Alls fair in love and LBA they say
Wow. That was incredibly lucky then, I didn't even know anyone else had been offering him anything for the 50 (he didn't mention that.)

Sorry! I'll PM you if I want to sell it