Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All of the above. If I was forced to use current release AF lenses then I probably wouldn't have tried more than say three of four lenses (i.e. the one that comes with the lens and perhaps, at most, three more) BECAUSE OF COST.

But, legacy manual (and AF) lenses are generally way cheaper and as such I have tried dozens of lenses (perhaps 60 in total) - WOW what an experience!!! I have learned sooooo much about photography by simply trying an immense array of lenses ranging from the really bad to the sublime ......

It is through this experience that I have learned more about the limitations of glass, the camera itself and the need to improve technique. My technique seems to be improving more so by using MF lenses - so I stick with it in the main. Great fun

10-08-2014, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never used a regular MF lens, but my 16-50, 50-135, 35 Ltd, and 40 Ltd are all quickshift and I've become attached to the feature. At some point you gain an intuitive feel for whether autofocus will do well in particular lighting and I find MF simply faster than AF. Also, there's never any worry about FF/Back focus issues when you can rely on your wrist instead. Honestly, if I could have the same lenses for less money sparing the AF mechanism, I'd probably do it. The DA* lenses would be lighter, at least.
10-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Doing things manually forces you to think more. Often it's temping to just let the camera/computer do the thinking for you. But when you're doing everything manually, you take stock of all your variables because the one that you don't account for is the one that will ruin your shot.

All of my lenses on my digital camera are manual focus, and I love it because it makes me stop and think. Because the price is right. Because I have access to glass that is on par to what professionals use with their zooms, and all I have to be willing to do is pick and choose my variables.
10-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use of Hyperfocal distance and selective focusing would be my first choice, great value my next.

10-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #20
Pentaxian

You can focus on whatever you want without playing with focus points, etc. Also when the DoF is thin you can manually rack it back and forth and see the focal plane move slowly and you can "compose" your focus in a way you just can't with AF (and you'll see things you didn't know you were looking for). And it's quiet. I like both but MF is more fun...
10-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Some of us take focusing seriously.
Critical focusing in landscape is usually not a matter of picking some prominent point of focus. It is about depth of field.
Many manual focus lenses have DoF scales.
Manual focus lenses focus more precisely and pleasurably.
Manual focus lenses do not contain failure-prone motors.
10-09-2014, 12:02 AM   #22

I like the control. Plus when using an AF lens and some of the scene modes it feels too much like using a point and shoot.

10-09-2014, 12:36 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Why do people like manual focus lenses?

Because they age gracefully.

Here's the best looking 60 year old I know:

Tele Takumar 135 f/3.5
10-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Because they age gracefully.

Here's the best looking 60 year old I know:

Tele Takumar 135 f/3.5

Wow! Why the extra ring?
10-09-2014, 12:48 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Wow! Why the extra ring?

It's a pre-set lens. The middle ring sets the aperture - with distinct clicks for each stop.
And the top ring allows the diaphragm to move from the set stop to wide open - smoothly, with no clicks.
This allows for wide open focusing and then a quick, easy stop down to take the picture.

Last edited by .a.t.; 10-09-2014 at 01:11 AM. Reason: clarity
10-09-2014, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

I use manual lenses because autofocus slows me down too much and makes me miss too many shots.

Scenario: Out for a walk on Dartmoor.
Manual Lens: Exposure pre-set with no need to change unless the light changes. Focus set to hyperfocal as conveniently marked on the depth of field scale. Shooting time, instantaneous.
Autofocus Lens: Where's the depth of field scale? How do I know the hyperfocal point? Isn't there a menu setting for that somewhere? Or maybe I should just focus on something in the middle distance and hope for the best? Ah, to hell with it, I've been screwing around so long the light has gone.

Scenario: Day out with family.
Manual Lens: Exposure pre-set with no need to change unless the light changes. Focus set to hyperfocal as conveniently marked on the depth of field scale. Shooting time, instantaneous.
Autofocus Lens: Why is the little red light showing focus locked on that lamp post in the background? I'm trying to catch the kids with ice cream all over their faces. Darn it, I'll have to re-select the focus point. Oh, wait, I'm still in hyperfocal mode from my walk on the moor yesterday. Need to change that. . . oh, crap, now they've wiped the ice cream off their faces. Would have been a funny shot too.

Scenario: Low light with the lens wide open.
Manual Lens: Hit exact focus on subject's eyes with correctly shimmed split-prism screen.
Autofocus Lens: Uh oh, the lens is hunting for focus. I hope it locks onto her eyes instead of her nose. With no depth of field at 50mm and f/1.4, I'm screwed if it focuses on her nose.

I'll try to think of a scenario when I'd actually want to use autofocus, and get back to you on that one. . .
10-09-2014, 02:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I use my FA77 exclusively in MF mode and used to own a 50mm f2.0.

In my opinion it's not technical. You get precisely what you're after and there is a degree of craftsmanship associated with producing a nice image. Just like someone said earlier, hammer versus nailgun, manual versus automatic, open sight versus scope. The core skills of the operator will improve more so with one than the other and in turn the better images come from the improving skills of the operator, not the glass.

Come to think of it, the glass is a big thing with the FA77 (bad example), maybe just refer to the 50mm when reading this!

Last edited by jawsy; 10-09-2014 at 02:55 AM.
10-09-2014, 04:30 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I use manual focus lenses for the simple reason I had a bag full of them when I moved on from film to a digital camera.

The reason I stayed with Pentax at that time was the fact they made it so easy to use my fine old optics on the new cameras. With a couple of kids in school and now at university I couldn't afford to replace my 14 manual focus lenses with modern AF ones.(see signature)

So for me using manual focus leneses was, and remains, a solution which makes sense both financially as well as on a practical level. Did I mention I can still make great images with them? Besides the landfill has too much trash in it without adding these great old lenses to the pile.

Tom G
10-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #29
Veteran Member

If I miss focus, I know exactly where the problem lies....not the lens or camera
10-09-2014, 05:41 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Because AF lenses, even good ones, don't always focus perfectly in all situations. Sometimes MF is the difference between getting a really great sharp shot and a slightly soft shot. Most of my AF lenses are zooms not primes for good reason. Prime AF lenses cost so much money I can't really afford to buy many of them. So far I don't actually have an AF prime for my K-30's. I wish. But right now I only have a couple of them for my M43 cameras. That's all I've been able to find at an affordable price so far and even then I had to buy used to be able to get those. I could not swing them new. Too much $$$$ for me.

I like my zooms. They can be handy, but I don't think most of my zooms can touch the few AF primes I have and those aren't as good as some of my MF prime lenses. I shoot MF so I can shoot prime a lot of the time and not kill my wallet. I shoot MF prime because there is some really nice older glass out there, glass that I feel is superior a lot of the time to the AF zooms I can afford. I do wish I could afford a lot more by way of AF primes. My eyes are crap lately and MF is increasingly hard for me. But short of winning the lotto I can't just go there so MF and older lenses it is...