Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2014, 05:42 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jadedrakerider Quote
Doing things manually forces you to think more. Often it's temping to just let the camera/computer do the thinking for you. But when you're doing everything manually, you take stock of all your variables because the one that you don't account for is the one that will ruin your shot.

All of my lenses on my digital camera are manual focus, and I love it because it makes me stop and think. Because the price is right. Because I have access to glass that is on par to what professionals use with their zooms, and all I have to be willing to do is pick and choose my variables.

This is the big reason- the old M series or screwmounts make you control the variables yourself. A lot of us cut our teeth back in full manual camera days, and Pentax has built cameras which allow us to easily control the crucial variables. When you get it right the results can be outstanding. Whether it's the old glass or just the fact that we have to pay more attention to all the conditions I can't say. The other reason mentioned above is controlling focus. The focus points in our beloved Pentax cameras have burned us a lot - they're not always small enough to nail focus. Manual focus, though, if you have the time and light, will allow this.

In the field with my FA100 f2.8 I often had to drop down to manual focus this summer. The camera's autofocus doesn't know which part of the brown and green dragonfly it's supposed to focus on against a brown and green foliage backdrop. I'll still use autofocus for most of my work but I'll also dig out the nice old manual lenses when the lighting is compelling outdoors - or just take the manual lens to a garden. I tend to shoot fewer pictures, but get more keepers (less snapshots).

So I think it's mostly psychological, we have to think more with manual so we pay more attention to the process and composition.

10-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Or a manual transmission rather than automatic...
Much better analogy, even though with computers in transmissions the torque curve is nearly perfect on automatic transmissions these days.

"Because I want to" is the true answer.
10-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Price

Price ..
For the price of a old M lens , lets say a 50mm f1.4 , you get serious glass for a low price , yes I know , Manual ..
But a lot of us started back when everything was manual , so its not such a big deal ..

+ There is the option of hanging out for some A lenses , then you can run Auto - Green mode or what ever , you just need to manually focus , again not much to do for some of us .
But it is a way for those on a budget to buy glass , they could never afford in a autofocus lens ...

Or perhaps they want to enjoy a little nostalgia with a digital camera ?

If you don't understand , that's ok too , you don't have to , this isn't 1960's Russia ( Well not yet anyways )
10-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ohh, I use my cameras in manual mode because even TAv seems to miss exposure for me, and I've had manual lenses, the 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2, 35 f/2.8, and I have to use them on a couple film cameras, but I really don't seem to have problems with autofocus. I can see when I have a miss and recompose really fast on autofocus. I've only been using a DSLR for not quite 5 years and have only done maybe 20k shots, so maybe since I didn't grow up with manual lenses I don't see the magic that others see.

Manual transmissions are fine though!

10-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Why do people like manual focus lenses, whether K, M, A or M42? I really don't get it. I've had many, including a Pentax M 50 f/1.4 and I really didn't see what was so magical about them. I like autofocus better myself. It is much more convenient to me. So, can someone tell me what is so good about manual focus? Why do people like them so much? I read and even participated in the lens poll and contest today and I simply do not get it at all.
I don't think that people like manual focus lenses per se. I think they like to manually focus lenses, regardless of whether the lens is equipped with autofocus or not. Given enough time, they prefer to choose precisely what is in focus, rather than let the autofocus system decide for them.
10-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #36
Veteran Member

It's to force myself to slow down and think about the image more carefully. The lens doesnt AF and usually it's a prime, so I really think about everything that I usually forget. It's good exercise, and I think it actually helps my photography
10-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax-M 50/1.7 - A manual focus gem

Here's what I wrote in the current Lens competition:

Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7:

Designed to mate with the compact ME and MX cameras in the 1970s and 80s, the handsome M 50/1.7 is a classic ultra-light, ultra-thin design. Producing very good contrast and excellent colour rendition, this extremely sharp lens – even wide open – is unassuming in size but universal in appeal and utility. Once offered as an affordable upgrade to the then-standard M 50/2 ‘kit’ lens, it has become a desirable low-cost, must-have addition to any Pentax shooter’s kit. Used by countless photographers in an earlier era, the M 50/1.7 is still frequently highly recommended, and remains as an enduring example of Pentax quality, usability, and value.

Often, 'manual focus' harks back to an era of high-quality construction, excellent optics, and hands-on, tactile use. Manual focus lenses are not something to be avoided simply because modern auto-focus alternatives are available. On the contrary - as many have said here - MF lenses offer a degree of focus control as well as enjoyment in the process of deliberately and carefully setting up to take the shot.

- Craig

10-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #38

well,at first i thought i cant live without AF.but then a got M 50mm f1.7 and i found that there are some situation that MF can do better job than AF like macro work or shooting throught a transparent object.
And if you can do a fine tuning you will get a better image quality than similar AF len,that why it take me hours in seeking a good shoot.
Lots of fun!
10-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I like MF lenses are:

1) They're usually much cheaper than an AF counterpart of equal optical quality.
2) I used MF lenses for many years, so manual focusing is second nature to me anyway.
3) AF is hit-or-miss with some lenses, especially in low light. Frequently I can focus faster manually than an AF lens can.

I have 3 AF lenses and the AF does come in handy. The other 10 or so are all MF.
10-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

- hyperfocusing
- macro work

If you change your question to manual focusing instead of using a manual lens I add:

- selective focusing in crowded sports situations. In this situation I use an autofocus lens in combination with the quick shift mechanism, prefocusing via autofocus and than manually adjusting the focus point fast.

Last edited by acoufap; 10-09-2014 at 08:49 AM.
10-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7:

Designed to mate with the compact ME and MX cameras in the 1970s and 80s, the handsome M 50/1.7 is a classic ultra-light, ultra-thin design. ... Used by countless photographers in an earlier era, the M 50/1.7 is still frequently highly recommended, and remains as an enduring example of Pentax quality, usability, and value.
Often, 'manual focus' harks back to an era of high-quality construction, excellent optics, and hands-on, tactile use.
- Craig
The M 50mm f1.7 was the first manual lens I bought, and, as Craig says, it is simply a high-quality piece of equipment. Aesthetically, it is simply beautiful, solid, and feels wonderful in the hand.
And it works for taking pictures too! I do mostly use AF, but as others have said, there is the control that comes with manual, and in some instances (macro, low light, complex scenes) where manual is just easier to use.
10-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MF lenses almost all have the amazing ability to focus to infinity without trouble. When I was taking eclipse photos last night, I just turned the focus ring to infinity and I was done.

Some lenses have no AF equivalent. There's no f1.2 lens in a KAF mount. The Samyang line is mostly lenses without AF versions.

AF has been around for almost 30 years but is still a work in progress. Canon uses AF mostly as a marketing tool. The top of the line has all the killer features that sound great on paper. The camera isn't affordable so few actually use that system except the highest-paid pros. They get great shots so regular people know it works. Then that AF system dribbles down in pieces to the rest of the line. "The new XXX has as many asterisk-type f2.4 wavelet laser micro-adjustable AF sensors as the 1D Mark VIIIII HD!" Each innovation probably does get closer, but what about today?
10-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Economical reason: I pay a small portion from the price of modern higher grade lenses.
Practical: manual lenses give more sense of controlling the whole process. AF focusing is not accurate all the time.
Educational: I would never learn so much with modern lenses in short period of time. Not even learn, but "feel" it.
Nostalgic: shooting with helios makes me feeling young again
10-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The OP's question has opened an insightful discussion with very interesting perspectives.

This is not meant as a 'homework assignment', but I wonder if the OP would be interested in taking a stab at writing up the discussion as a summary paper for the PF Articles section? It would serve very well as a reference for newcomers and experienced users alike.

- Craig
10-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tactile considerations should also not be underestimated. These old lenses feel good, they have the proper resistance when focusing. Their metal construction feels solid and satisfying. And they make you look serious!