Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
...my views on the FA31, but I honestly believe it to be overwhelmingly overrated and a lens that has brought much problems to Pentax as a system because the company unfortunately rests on its laurels with that lens. I wouldn't pay $600 for one, honestly.
-Heie
You do like living on the edge... I'll just sit back now and hope for fireworks.

(Then again, you've earned enough respect in this community that I may end up being disappointed.)

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Kref - my personal favorite in the range you're thinking about is the FA 43, which can be had used for ~$500. Pairing that with the DA 15 would definitely give you qualities that you're not getting from your 18-135. Portraits of children with the 43 are magical, and the 15 is noticeably wider than the 18, with much better optical qualities. Also, you can carry these two lenses in your pocket with the 18-135 on the camera, and pull them out when you need them (though I personally think that once the 43 gets on your camera, you may have a hard time taking it off).

10-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
WIth your budget, that would be a phenomenal combo. I disagree with the FA31 recommended above - I've now owned/tested two copies of vastly different serial numbers (it matters to some people because it identifies that they are not from the same batch), and both were immediately disappointing. The one I owned I sold within a month and the other was for the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 "Art" in-depth review for here that is just about finishing up (sneak peak - stunning lens optically with the most problematic AF I've ever experienced in my entire photographic career - ever, and that's with multiple copies and using the Sigma USB dock). I know I will get flogged for that and my views on the FA31, but I honestly believe it to be overwhelmingly overrated and a lens that has brought much problems to Pentax as a system because the company unfortunately rests on its laurels with that lens. I wouldn't pay $600 for one, honestly.

That aside, the two lenses you selected would run you about $800, perhaps less with the rebates/2% rewards. You might be able to do a little better shopping around. Regardless, they will offer you two truly different purposes than what your 18-135 WR offers at the moment, which is important. You go much wider (15 vs 18 is significant) and the 50mm is significantly faster than the 18-135 at 50mm (over two stops). That would give you much more opportunities than just replacing the 18-135 (which is a fantastic walkaround kit lens, not to mention WR and the other two lenses unfortunately aren't).

In addition to that, since you'll have about $150-200 left over from your budget, I'd recommend either a small tripod (my vote goes to the Sirui T-025x, about $235 - Disclaimer - I wrote that review), or get some flash equipment and practice with taking portraits using umbrellas/softboxes. With the 50 and good lighting (even if just one light) can make stunning portraits, but you'll have to get a lot of practice

Another possibility, and now that I think about it this would be an even stronger recommendation, might be the HD 70mm Limited (and not the 50) and instead of the HD 15 mm go for something even crazier (and cheaper) - the Samyang 8mm Fisheye. Fisheye shots are A LOT of fun with kids, and the 70mm will make just stunning portraits (way better than the 50mm).

Hope this helps

-Heie
Heie,

I got the three amigos as package deal. So the damage was not as bad financially. I always wondered if they were worth the money until recently. I had to shoot a paid assignment and I used the three amigos almost exclusively. The pics called of a lot of wide open apertures. So I kept all three at around f2.8 and the results were much better than I expected. All three lenses are sharp and despite a PF unfavorable review of the 43, my results are top notch. The only objection I have of all three lenses is the unacceptably high purple fringing at wide open. They all improve by f4. But my feeling is that I did not pay top dollar to have purple fringing.

I guess I got lucky with a good copy of the 31.
10-12-2014, 01:52 AM   #33

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kref Quote
I could buy Pentax 16-50 2.8 for 500$, but i read review, here on pentax forums where Sigma 17-50 won and it has almost same price.
That would be a hard price to resist, I have the sigma and if I had the choice ( 500 for that is really cheap) even given the slight iq benefits I would have gone for the pentax for sure. Pair that lens with a 50mm or that 35 macro and good times will be had.
10-12-2014, 04:53 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jwc77 Quote
A used Tamron 90mm macro is a great macro plus also does a great job with portraits...and you would probably have enough left in your budget for the 15.
I bought my Tamron 90 for used for $270 and it's bee a great performer. Tessfully takes it out all the time as a walk-around lens, a favourite since day one. Extending your range with a 15 is also a great idea... I have the Sigma 8-16 but it's so big and heavy, it often gets left home.

10-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

So after reading all you messages I have 1 favorite and it is 15mm

But for me I think there is one more versatile lens and it is 35mm limited HD macro, but it has F/2.8 isnt it to high for inside room fast (child) shoting?

Or is better for me right now buy 15mm + 35 2.4 + tripod and then 100mm macro?
With active children, I reckon you would definitly need a good zoom. To get the shot as the need arises with out having to change lens using a prime.
10-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #36
Veteran Member

The two starting Lenses that I recommend is the 18 to 135 and a 70 to 300. With those two lenses you will cover most of what you need. Once you have taken a number of pictures with these two lenses, Look at the metadata on your pictures. See what focal lengths you use the most and look for a fast Prime lens that closely matches that focal length. Even though many of the members here, are well season photographers and know what they need, they are not you. Get what you're most likely to use. Not what someone else tells you you need.
10-12-2014, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ultimately, it's all about your priorities ...

So after reading all you messages I have 1 favorite and it is 15mm

But for me I think there is one more versatile lens and it is 35mm limited HD macro, but it has F/2.8 isnt it to high for inside room fast (child) shoting?

Or is better for me right now buy 15mm + 35 2.4 + tripod and then 100mm macro?
Now, as for the DA15, you probably can't go wrong with that one for landscapes.

When it comes to speed, for shooting children, F2.4 is not that much faster than F2.8. But the DA 35mm Macro Limited doesn't have a focus limiter, so you may occasionally lose time due to the long focus range when it hunts. Yet you can help the lens to auto-focus by prefocusing manually. However, the DA 70mm Limited would give you more distance, while being so unobtrusive that the kids will hardly be aware how big they are in your frame. I bet the 100mm Macro WR is another good portrait option, but again with a long focus range that makes it more prone to hunting.

It is true that fast zooms are more flexible, but they also tend to be expensive, and those with Pentax SDM may actually be slower to focus than the screw-driven Limiteds.

Ultimately, you have to decide about your priorities, given that all the lenses you seem to have on your radar should be competent performers, yet each with its specific characteristics ...

10-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #38

Same to you, my K-3 is only for my daughter, 32 months old.

Which I ever tried:
DA35, DA70, FA 43, FA* 85, FA* 24, Sigma 30 (non-ART)

Which I kept:
FA* 85, S30

Which I'm going to try:
DA15 (for tour)
DA55-300 or DA200 (for dance on stage when she get in kindergarten)

If I haven't got this expensive FA* 85, I may try:
FA77 or DA*55 or FA50/1.4 depend on budget.
10-15-2014, 02:22 AM   #39

Original Poster
So i got Pentax 35mm 2.4 for 100$ from second hand with half year warranty, lens mint, but autofocus is soooo loud :] Is it normal? It cant be compared to my Pentax 18-135.

Also got Pentax 15mm HD, but Its for my friend, I am only testing it now :]

Now I want to get tripod + I have spare and I am looking at Samyang 14mm MF reviews and its sample looks amazing

Or I will wait for sprint to get my 15mm copy

Thanks all for tips
10-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #40

So i got Pentax 35mm 2.4 for 100$ from second hand with half year warranty, lens mint, but autofocus is soooo loud :] Is it normal? It cant be compared to my Pentax 18-135.

Now I want to get tripod + I have spare and I am looking at Samyang 14mm MF reviews and its sample looks amazing

Thanks all for tips
18-135 uses DC motor, it's the most fast and quite lens. DA35/2.4 uses normal screw driven focusing, which cannot compare to DC motor.

Looking for your test on DA15 & Samyang 14. DA15 is said the "greatest" lens in front page, makes me quite curious on it. But since I'm going to use it in trip, no daughter beside, so I'd like to try Samyang 14 for saving money.
10-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Time to enter the wonderful world of Pentax Limited Prime Lenses.

The 15mm or the 35mm Macro is a great place to start.
10-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Thanks all for tips
The 35 2.4 focus is pretty loud but the pictures are nice :-). You got a pretty good price there. Who gives half year of warranty for a second hand lens?
10-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
The 35 2.4 focus is pretty loud but the pictures are nice :-). You got a pretty good price there. Who gives half year of warranty for a second hand lens?
Its big eshop here in czech republic that have also used items to sell, tested, cleaned and give warranty for it.
10-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah budget is an issue I have like 1000$ max

So maybe what about
Pentax 15mm HD + Pentax 50mm 1.8?
I have both of these lenses and the 15 is probably my favorite lens ever. The 50/1.8 is good too; I use it less but when I need the speed it does the trick.
10-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Heie,

I got the three amigos as package deal. So the damage was not as bad financially. I always wondered if they were worth the money until recently. I had to shoot a paid assignment and I used the three amigos almost exclusively. The pics called of a lot of wide open apertures. So I kept all three at around f2.8 and the results were much better than I expected. All three lenses are sharp and despite a PF unfavorable review of the 43, my results are top notch. The only objection I have of all three lenses is the unacceptably high purple fringing at wide open. They all improve by f4. But my feeling is that I did not pay top dollar to have purple fringing.

I guess I got lucky with a good copy of the 31.
You will get purple fringing with basically every large aperture lens due to lateral/longitudal CA. Only true fully apochromatic lenses (quite rare) will get rid of this problem, but tend to face other problems.
image-engineering