Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
14mm Rokinon versus the 15mm DA Limited

I have owned the 14mm Rokinon for a while now, and must admit I really like it's performance. It's very sharp and seems to have different rendering characteristics based on the scene, in particular greens and blues. For the price I have been delighted with it. However, I would appreciate any comments from those who have compared this to the DA 15mm Limited.

Not a competition here, just want to understand better the differences or characteristics of the 15mm.

10-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Softer in the corners, Mike, but naturally you stop down.

It's a very small lens, which is great if I'm walking - no excuse not to have a wide angle with me. :-)
10-10-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The big difference is size.
For my preference, its portability.

Next is the ability to resist flare and the DA15 is practically immune to flare, and I have tried a few UWA (10-20; Voigtlander 12; Canon FD20, etc)

Thirdly, the DA15 takes 49mm filters, cheaper, less clunky. (ND; GND; )
The bulging front element on the Samyang calls for a less common 100mm filter solution or a DIY holder and filters.

Lastly, its the very nice starburst.
10-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Softer in the corners, Mike, but naturally you stop down.

It's a very small lens, which is great if I'm walking - no excuse not to have a wide angle with me. :-)
The 15mm LTD is one of the shining spots for Pentax. There really is no competitor out there for it.
You stick it in your pocket on a hike while you have a zoom on your camera and you break it out when a scene unfolds (can't do that with the Rokinon unless you are wearing cargo pants with huge pockets).
You don't have to worry if the sun is in your frame.
And like Pinhole mentioned, 49mm Polarizer filter, which is one filter you can't duplicate in post processing.

10-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I can keeep only one lens for daily use, I'll keep DA21;
if i can keep two, i'll keep da 21 and 15.
never used rokinon 14, but da 15 is a gem.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hongzhibin1987/15214913606/
10-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a sample.
Attached Images

10-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

When I first got my 15mm, I really wished the aperture was larger. After owning it for nearly 3 years now, I must say it was the correct decision at f4. This lens is my go to lens during hikes and day time events. It really doesn't matter which aperture I shoot at, all the important parts comes into focus. And the smaller aperture keeps the size down, which I always appreciated.

With this lens on, I just point, compose and shoot. I typically leave it at f5.6 to f8 anyways, and I mainly use this lens during daytime, so low light ability was never a priority. Tack sharp lens and you would not regret having one in your kit; definitely one of the easiest and funniest lens in my lineup.
10-11-2014, 03:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I didn't Rokinon, but owned Samyang 14mm which is same thing ....its UMC coated version is also very good in supressing the flare, so not a big advantage for da15 there, however as mentioned size is huge difference....another even more important thing is that Rokinon/Samyang can't take any filters, while DA15 can. Advantage of Rokinon/Samyang is higher overall resolution, although in the centre I think DA15 is sharper....

10-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

For me, the biggest drawback for the Samyang 14mm is overall build. It is a big, heavy lens, the hood cannot be removed, it has no filter screws, and often people had to get it exchanged because they got a decentered copy. The Pentax DA 15mm doesn't have these weaknesses, and it is fully automatic with AF and everything. The main problem of the DA 15mm, as far as I have read, is that it is relatively slow (but this is needed for such a small, compact size) and not super sharp in the corners. Then there is the price, which is in favour of the Samyang 14mm.
10-12-2014, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
3 examples of shooting straight at the Sun without flare issues, and the star burst.

This one 'shows' the portability.

a typical hike up is 30mins, but I was in a rush and did it in 10mins, thankful that the encumbrance was less due to a smallish bag that i could keep to the body well when rushing up (and down).
10-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
I have owned the 14mm Rokinon for a while now, and must admit I really like it's performance. It's very sharp and seems to have different rendering characteristics based on the scene, in particular greens and blues. For the price I have been delighted with it. However, I would appreciate any comments from those who have compared this to the DA 15mm Limited.

Not a competition here, just want to understand better the differences or characteristics of the 15mm.
I'm not familiar with the Rokinon rendering, but the DA15 has typical DA Limited family rendering - deep contrasts (deeper than life), very well rendered micro-contrasts, fabulous colours (over many colours, not just blue and green). It would be true to say that it's sharp, but as with the other DA Limiteds it seems to be more than just that - sharp no doubt, but fine detail is just so exquisitely rendered.

It has strong field curvature, so one must be careful with the corners.

Impossibly small and light, yet solid; with convenient built-in slide-out hood.

Personally I use this lens less for typical landscape/architecture work, and more for close-ups, with the extreme wideangle perspective making for fascinating images. This lens makes you THINK about a scene before you shoot, and this opens up new creative vistas - and with superb DA Limited style rendering, to boot.

Edit: As a further bonus, when doing close-ups, the bokeh is nice and smooth.

Last edited by KDAFA; 10-13-2014 at 08:11 AM.
10-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
3 examples of shooting straight at the Sun without flare issues, and the star burst.

This one 'shows' the portability.

a typical hike up is 30mins, but I was in a rush and did it in 10mins, thankful that the encumbrance was less due to a smallish bag that i could keep to the body well when rushing up (and down).
Nice pictures. Thinking getting one for my ff....