Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
I found the elusive AOCO 83mm 1.9 Takumar today.

My wife brought home a box of cameras and lens today. In the box was a Zeiss Icon Contax IIa, Pentax Honeywell SP1000, and Pentax Heiland H2. A few other early Pentax lens AND.....

THE 83mm 1.9 Takumar M42 lens - yep - the ghost and the darkness from what I understand about the rarity of this lens. S/N 167499. Whoop! All of the above for $10.00! It has the original chrome cap, sun shade and original AOCO leather cases.

Just two weeks ago I bought a Leica SL with the large leather Leica doctors bags, extra lens, orginal instruction books and flash. I paid $150 for the Leica kit and sold it for $711.

I find old Pentax gear around our part of Texas for some reason - there are always old Pentax cameras and lens for sale - cheap!

Attached Images

Last edited by Cypress6767; 10-10-2014 at 08:06 PM.
10-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Phoooooooooooootttttttttttttttttttttttoooooooooooooooooooosssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
Here is the entire score today -
Attached Images

10-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
Here is the Leica kit (Sold already)

Attached Images

10-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With scores like that, I'm movin' to Texas!

Great haul. Take your wife out for dinner!

- Craig
10-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cypress6767 Quote
Here is the Leica kit (Sold already)
Admire.....

Close to New York City, it sounds every lens goes to a fair price or higher... In craiglist, the number of advertises for buying the camera/lenses seems to larger than the number for selling, sigh.

Last edited by starjedi; 10-10-2014 at 08:30 PM.
10-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I'm movin' to Texas!

Great haul. Take your wife out for dinner!

- Craig
Without a doubt - Momma's getting a new pair of shoes!

10-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So jealous
I have been looking for takumars lke that in the forums for the last 2 years
10-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That's too cheap for it to be fair to the rest of us!
10-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Admire.....

Close to New York City, it sounds every lens goes to a fair price or higher... In craiglist, the number of advertises for buying the camera/lenses seems to larger than the number for selling, sigh.
It's like that in Ohio too. And it's amazing that many of the ones trying to sell think that the digital kit they bought 7 years ago is still worth the price they paid for it, or the broken K1000 & M 50/2 is worth $300.

FANTASTIC DEAL Cypress6767!!! Your lady did really well!
10-11-2014, 02:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

nice lens but isn't worth 1000 USD imho, which is the starting price I found on ebay ..... coincidentally also sold from Texas .... seems that proclaimed cheap lens prices in Texas couldn't be taken literally for entire state of Texas as it appears to me
10-11-2014, 03:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cypress6767 Quote
My wife brought home a box of cameras and lens today. In the box was a Zeiss Icon Contax IIa, Pentax Honeywell SP1000, and Pentax Heiland H2. A few other early Pentax lens AND.....

THE 83mm 1.9 Takumar M42 lens - yep - the ghost and the darkness from what I understand about the rarity of this lens. S/N 167499. Whoop! All of the above for $10.00! It has the original chrome cap, sun shade and original AOCO leather cases.

Just two weeks ago I bought a Leica SL with the large leather Leica doctors bags, extra lens, orginal instruction books and flash. I paid $150 for the Leica kit and sold it for $711.

I find old Pentax gear around our part of Texas for some reason - there are always old Pentax cameras and lens for sale - cheap!
Holy sh*t ! You are a very lucky man !

10-11-2014, 03:50 AM   #13

Original Poster
I would love to keep all this stuff but I can't keep it all. I did list it on eBay and priced in line with Worthpoint and the one sale on eBay last year for 1k+. I researched this lens for most of the day yesterday and when the rarity and scarcity of the lens is the common theme, then that drives price. Just putting it out there in the world to see if anyone wants it. I would like to take the family on a nice weekend vacation (not using my money) rather than put this lens on a shelf display.

---------- Post added 10-11-14 at 06:08 AM ----------

The added plus is that it comes with the sun shade, caps and cases. Still relishing the super score. ;-)
10-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Was this from a local auction? In my experience, that is the best way to get old camera gear for next to nothing. Good bargains are harder to score on Craigslist since people generally over-value their old gear, or if the price is really good it will be gone quickly.

My in-laws are from Brazil, where almost everything is ridiculously expensive, and her father is addicted to auctions. He can't believe how cheap things go for, and he often brings home lots of old lenses and cameras, which he then re-sells on eBay or in his booth at an antique mall.
10-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Was this from a local auction? In my experience, that is the best way to get old camera gear for next to nothing. Good bargains are harder to score on Craigslist since people generally over-value their old gear, or if the price is really good it will be gone quickly.

My in-laws are from Brazil, where almost everything is ridiculously expensive, and her father is addicted to auctions. He can't believe how cheap things go for, and he often brings home lots of old lenses and cameras, which he then re-sells on eBay or in his booth at an antique mall.
It was an estate sale - they priced it that cheap because "no one ever uses these things." Lol