Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 12-24 Lens

Pentax will be sending me the 12-24 f4.0 lens tomorrow. Never used it before and am looking forward to perhaps using it for my next shoot...

Has anyone used it here?

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 01-30-2007 at 12:04 PM.
01-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yessir...

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Penatx will be sending me the 12-24 f4.0 lens tomorrow. Never used it before and am looking forward to perhaps using it for my next shoot...

Has anyone used it here?

Ben
Hi Ben,

I've got it, and it's a great performer. It's often used when I am doing landscape photography.

I thought about the DA 14/2.8, but I wanted the zoom for greater composition flexibility.

This is one of my favorite photos from that lens:
Marc Langille Photography - Photographing Different Perspectives - Devils Den/Lee Creek Dam

You'll really enjoy it... 8-)

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 01-30-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: linked to wrong image later on today - very strange
01-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Hi Ben,

I've got it, and it's a great performer. It's often used when I am doing landscape photography.

I thought about the DA 14/2.8, but I wanted the zoom for greater composition flexibility.

This is one of my favorite photos from that lens:
Marc Langille Photography - Photographing Different Perspectives - Devils Den/Lee Creek Dam

You'll really enjoy it... 8-)

Cheers,
Marc
Really nice work Marc...very rich colours and fine composition...So I can see you like the lens. It will get me out of some tight situations when shooting fashion in a small room...Kind of like this shot with my Sigma 10-20 on my Canon 20D..Pre-Pentax..

Last edited by benjikan; 02-07-2007 at 10:31 AM.
01-30-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks Ben!

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Really nice work Marc...very rich colours and fine composition...So I can see you like the lens. It will get me aout of some tight situations when shooting fashion in a small room...Kind of like this shot with my Sigma 10-20 on my Canon 20D..Pre-Pentax..
No kidding about a tight spot... LOL... wow.

I keep forgetting about "the process" that happens in your mind when doing photography. How the lens choice of the day can sometimes define your method of taking images that day.

For some reason for me, the angle/perspective of this fine image of yours is reminiscent of some photojournalism shots I've seen in the past.

BTW, you may already know this, but all of my images can be clicked on to load the larger image in a new window. My apologies if you've already discovered that...

Cheers,
Marc

01-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent lens.

Ben,

You wrote:

>Has anyone used it here?

Yes. I have to say that it is an incredibly sharp lens and the distortions are rather well controlled for such a wide zoom. I have used it for tight landscapes as well as broad ones. Contrast is exellent too.

Stephen

Ben[/QUOTE]
01-30-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used it on 3 trips so far, and I must say that it's really not bad for a zoom.

I only use it at the 12mm end, however, since I'd rather shoot with my 24mm/F2 FA prime, but it hasn't let me down!

Here's a sample shot:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It is really good. I use it very often with c-pol and half gray filters. It is great performer inside buildings.
Pentax *ist DS ,Pentax smc P-DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL [IF]
1/250s f/6.7 at 14.0mm iso200

1/10s f/4.0 at 12.0mm iso400

1/180s f/4.0 at 12.0mm iso200

Piotr
Piotr Sobolewski's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

02-04-2007, 06:08 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I've used it on 3 trips so far, and I must say that it's really not bad for a zoom.

I only use it at the 12mm end, however, since I'd rather shoot with my 24mm/F2 FA prime, but it hasn't let me down!

Here's a sample shot:

Mo:
Is that Tuscon? Only been to AZ once, but fell in love with the state and someday, I'll be back for more! Just started playing with my 12-24 and having some issues with CA in high contrast shots. Any ideas on how to overcome it? Shot the branches of a pine tree against bright blue sky in late afternoon at about 90 degrees from the setting sun yesterday and noticed SEVERE CA. This was in all modes. (Did a test shot with each of the settings to see what the difference was. Shot at ISO100 in all cases.) I figure it was a bad case of Pilot Error!
Rob W
02-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Piotr, have you already submitted that 3rd shot into this month's photo challenge? (Theme for Feb is Architecture) Nice shots! Mo, not too late, is it?
02-05-2007, 05:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very nice images...
02-05-2007, 05:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Your Work

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
No kidding about a tight spot... LOL... wow.

I keep forgetting about "the process" that happens in your mind when doing photography. How the lens choice of the day can sometimes define your method of taking images that day.

For some reason for me, the angle/perspective of this fine image of yours is reminiscent of some photojournalism shots I've seen in the past.

BTW, you may already know this, but all of my images can be clicked on to load the larger image in a new window. My apologies if you've already discovered that...

Cheers,
Marc
I checked your site..Very beautiful!
02-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
ISH

marc, what program are you using to create the framed look for your photos? I love how it creates the border around the picture and tends to accentuate your image.
02-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ISH..

QuoteOriginally posted by ISH Quote
marc, what program are you using to create the framed look for your photos? I love how it creates the border around the picture and tends to accentuate your image.
Sent you a PM...
02-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Isn't this lens the same as the Tokina 12-24?

I believe it is, but with Pentax written on it. So it gauls me that the price is twice that of the Tokina. Thus I'll probably end up with the Sigma 10-20mm.