Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Pentax 12-24 Lens

Pentax will be sending me the 12-24 f4.0 lens tomorrow. Never used it before and am looking forward to perhaps using it for my next shoot...

Has anyone used it here?

Ben


Last edited by benjikan; 01-30-2007 at 12:04 PM.
01-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Marc Langille's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Posts: 4,702
yessir...

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Penatx will be sending me the 12-24 f4.0 lens tomorrow. Never used it before and am looking forward to perhaps using it for my next shoot...

Has anyone used it here?

Ben
Hi Ben,

I've got it, and it's a great performer. It's often used when I am doing landscape photography.

I thought about the DA 14/2.8, but I wanted the zoom for greater composition flexibility.

This is one of my favorite photos from that lens:
Marc Langille Photography - Photographing Different Perspectives - Devils Den/Lee Creek Dam

You'll really enjoy it... 8-)

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 01-30-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: linked to wrong image later on today - very strange
01-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Hi Ben,

I've got it, and it's a great performer. It's often used when I am doing landscape photography.

I thought about the DA 14/2.8, but I wanted the zoom for greater composition flexibility.

This is one of my favorite photos from that lens:
Marc Langille Photography - Photographing Different Perspectives - Devils Den/Lee Creek Dam

You'll really enjoy it... 8-)

Cheers,
Marc
Really nice work Marc...very rich colours and fine composition...So I can see you like the lens. It will get me out of some tight situations when shooting fashion in a small room...Kind of like this shot with my Sigma 10-20 on my Canon 20D..Pre-Pentax..

Last edited by benjikan; 02-07-2007 at 10:31 AM.
01-30-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Marc Langille's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Posts: 4,702
thanks Ben!

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Really nice work Marc...very rich colours and fine composition...So I can see you like the lens. It will get me aout of some tight situations when shooting fashion in a small room...Kind of like this shot with my Sigma 10-20 on my Canon 20D..Pre-Pentax..
No kidding about a tight spot... LOL... wow.

I keep forgetting about "the process" that happens in your mind when doing photography. How the lens choice of the day can sometimes define your method of taking images that day.

For some reason for me, the angle/perspective of this fine image of yours is reminiscent of some photojournalism shots I've seen in the past.

BTW, you may already know this, but all of my images can be clicked on to load the larger image in a new window. My apologies if you've already discovered that...

Cheers,
Marc

01-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,294
Excellent lens.

Ben,

You wrote:

>Has anyone used it here?

Yes. I have to say that it is an incredibly sharp lens and the distortions are rather well controlled for such a wide zoom. I have used it for tight landscapes as well as broad ones. Contrast is exellent too.

Stephen


Ben[/QUOTE]
01-30-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,755
I've used it on 3 trips so far, and I must say that it's really not bad for a zoom.

I only use it at the 12mm end, however, since I'd rather shoot with my 24mm/F2 FA prime, but it hasn't let me down!

Here's a sample shot:


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Piotr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warsaw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 337
It is really good. I use it very often with c-pol and half gray filters. It is great performer inside buildings.
Pentax *ist DS ,Pentax smc P-DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL [IF]
1/250s f/6.7 at 14.0mm iso200

Pentax *ist DS ,Pentax smc P-DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL [IF]
1/10s f/4.0 at 12.0mm iso400

Pentax *ist DS ,Pentax smc P-DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL [IF]
1/180s f/4.0 at 12.0mm iso200


Piotr
Piotr Sobolewski's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
02-04-2007, 06:08 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 141
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I've used it on 3 trips so far, and I must say that it's really not bad for a zoom.

I only use it at the 12mm end, however, since I'd rather shoot with my 24mm/F2 FA prime, but it hasn't let me down!

Here's a sample shot:

Mo:
Is that Tuscon? Only been to AZ once, but fell in love with the state and someday, I'll be back for more! Just started playing with my 12-24 and having some issues with CA in high contrast shots. Any ideas on how to overcome it? Shot the branches of a pine tree against bright blue sky in late afternoon at about 90 degrees from the setting sun yesterday and noticed SEVERE CA. This was in all modes. (Did a test shot with each of the settings to see what the difference was. Shot at ISO100 in all cases.) I figure it was a bad case of Pilot Error!
Rob W

02-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Alvin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,530
Piotr, have you already submitted that 3rd shot into this month's photo challenge? (Theme for Feb is Architecture) Nice shots! Mo, not too late, is it?
02-05-2007, 05:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Original Poster
Very nice images...
02-05-2007, 05:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Original Poster
Your Work

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
No kidding about a tight spot... LOL... wow.

I keep forgetting about "the process" that happens in your mind when doing photography. How the lens choice of the day can sometimes define your method of taking images that day.

For some reason for me, the angle/perspective of this fine image of yours is reminiscent of some photojournalism shots I've seen in the past.

BTW, you may already know this, but all of my images can be clicked on to load the larger image in a new window. My apologies if you've already discovered that...

Cheers,
Marc
I checked your site..Very beautiful!
02-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
ISH
Junior Member
ISH's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 42
marc, what program are you using to create the framed look for your photos? I love how it creates the border around the picture and tends to accentuate your image.
02-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Marc Langille's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Posts: 4,702
ISH..

QuoteOriginally posted by ISH Quote
marc, what program are you using to create the framed look for your photos? I love how it creates the border around the picture and tends to accentuate your image.
Sent you a PM...
02-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brighton, United Kingdom
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 311
Isn't this lens the same as the Tokina 12-24?

I believe it is, but with Pentax written on it. So it gauls me that the price is twice that of the Tokina. Thus I'll probably end up with the Sigma 10-20mm.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax DA12-24mm f4, Pentax FA50mm /1.4, Pentax DA18-55mm kit lens (Worldwide) geauxpez Sold Items 16 03-10-2011 09:20 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Rectangular Metal Lens hood for 58mm Lens (Worldwide) oneill Sold Items 2 03-19-2010 05:12 PM
My All Time Favorite Pentax Lens benjikan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 57 02-03-2010 08:43 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax k-2000 + kit lens (18-55) + sigma zoom lens 70-300mm dexmus Sold Items 6 11-09-2009 05:25 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top