Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Carl Zeiss Jena 7.5cm f1.5 Biotar - M42 Pentax Screw Mt on eBay, also To Fit Pentax, For 35mm SLR, Camera Lenses, Photography (end time 14-Jun-08 14:06:54 BST)

Buy now! Damnit. One day there will be one listed with a camera for 7$ I am sure.

05-22-2008, 02:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
[Buy now! Damnit. One day there will be one listed with a camera for 7$ I am sure.
399 GBP, ouch! This one is even more expensive (600 Euros) .

Cheers!

Abbazz
05-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Brings up an interesting point. At those prices, it really makes one wonder if the new Cosina Voigtlander and Zeiss lines are really that badly priced afterall? You get full metering, don't need an adapter and have a warranty. Why pay that much for a beat-up relic? Even though I appreciate what a specific lens might offer the shooter, I struggle with exhorbitant pricing for the ancient glass, the market is indeed strange. There must be a lot of collectors out there buying them I guess.
11-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The Ebay links are off already... anyone remember the price for this lens?

I am curious how does it stand pricewise compared to 77 LTD for instance..

11-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
The Ebay links are off already... anyone remember the price for this lens?

I am curious how does it stand pricewise compared to 77 LTD for instance..
Well, links were 6 months old, heh. M42 versions are harder to find. There are also different varieties of this lens from the 50's and the 70's, and some marked with the red 'T' coat, and others not, so there are factors on the price. Most come up in Contax mount (can be converted back to M42 I've learned, but it takes parts and smarts). In good shape, they sell around 500US. M42 sometimes more.

I'd go so far as to say its worth it, if you like the character it displays, but if you weren't specifically interested in the radial bokeh, its probably not worth it.

Having said that - I am. I've sourced a couple. I'm holding out for a T M42 in great shape. Anyone?
12-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #21
Inactive Account

This thread was the origin of my interest in radial bokeh and my exhaustive search took me full circle back to this lens.

I don't have my adapter yet so I'm just holding the lens up to the K20 for the time being, but I think the results speak for themselves. First, a couple of shots of the lens -

And profile beside a Meyer-Gorlitz 100/2.8 Trioplan

Indoor shots - its too damn cold to go outside (and handhold the lens up to the body...)

Notes on the lens:

- very distinct bokeh with strong cats eye effect as noted earlier in the thread.

- good color and contrast, great for a lens more than 50 years old.

- sharp from wide open

- comfortable size and weight, not too heavy, just solid.

In short, its my new favourite lens.

K.
12-13-2008, 08:44 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Kelly, those are stunning, truly. Wow. Think how you'll do when the lens is actually attached to the body!
12-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Kelly, those are stunning, truly. Wow. Think how you'll do when the lens is actually attached to the body!

haha, thanks Jay. You can see in the pic of my fiance on the couch how the bokehs in the middle are round and toward the edge of the frame completely 'cats eyed'. Its by far the most unique and almost the most intense level of bokeh I've encountered in a lens. On a full frame it would be even further exacerbated.

I am looking forward to the adapter. I was offered in a great act of generosity by a member of another forum to build me a custom adapter so I could use this exacta mount Biotar on the K20. I'll be doing a minor infinity surgery to correct for the registration and I'll regrease the helical and buff out the finish while I'm at it. I'm stoked. This lens has me really excited.

Now, I just need something to shoot... oh summer where did you go :|

K.

12-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

thanks for sharing!
not sure if i'm always into the radial effect but definitely interesting.

have you ever thought of exercising your lenses on film?
12-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
thanks for sharing!
not sure if i'm always into the radial effect but definitely interesting.

have you ever thought of exercising your lenses on film?
Yes, I do give it thought. I haven't gone so far as to research yet, but I really enjoy the tonality and grain in film work. Its something I'll probably get too one day. No doubt I'll be back here for advice.

Certainly one of the most distinct of bokeh effects are the extreme radial shots and no lens I've encountered so far does it in a more pronounced fashion than the Biotar and its clone the Helios 85/1.5. Its definately strong enough to evoke a love/hate reaction. Hopefully I'll have an opportunity to change your mind - - - stay tuned for next spring, hehe.
01-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Well, winter hasn't got the best of me yet. More Biotar shots, all at or near f1.5. One thing to note with this lens is that the aperture does not click-stop. Its just a smooth graduation, which I don't mind in the least.

Kelly.
01-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I see that Camera Quest does not stock any of these good lenses any more.
01-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
More Biotar shots, all at or near f1.5.
Great pictures, Kelly. You are making good use of this wonderful lens. Please make our heads spin some more!

Cheers!

Abbazz
01-07-2009, 12:09 AM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I see that Camera Quest does not stock any of these good lenses any more.
I noticed the info section on Gandy's site - did he actually have some to sell at some point? That'd be pretty sweet!

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Great pictures, Kelly. You are making good use of this wonderful lens. Please make our heads spin some more!

Cheers!

Abbazz
Well Abbazz, I've followed your shots to this and other lenses. I'd be just as happy to see what you'de done with yours lately

Tbh, I've found it hard to induce the massive swirl effect thus far. I know its in there, but I think it needs the assistance of mother nature and a lot of brightly backlit leaves. Unfortunately, it is complete bleak and white here... I'll keep trying though!
10-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #30

damned, crazy lens in here !
i had an helios 40 (but i sell it early in the year)
but i know that one day, i will have the biotar 75 !