Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lens from KEH (AS IS)

Hi All,

I ordered a Pentax SMC FA J 75-300 F 4.5-5.8 Lens in excellent condition because I wanted an inexpensive zoom lens. Since I was already paying for shipping I added a couple of "AS IS" lens just because I thought it would be a good way to get some cheap lens to try and disassemble for learning. I received all of them today. I got 3 "AS IS" lens, nothing with exceptional optics (just the normal ones), but when I tested the AS - IS ones on my Pentax K-30 all of them seem to be working fine. They zoom, autofocus, all of them seem to be in great condition, no scratches or anything, just one of of them has a few small scuffs on the front lens, otherwise nothing seems to be wrong other than the fact that they were sold As is. Do you think there could be something wrong with them?

Here are the pictures I took with the As-is Lens

Last edited by donpjt; 01-20-2015 at 01:04 PM.
10-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

They have just added that grade "as is" a week or so ago. I saw them pop up with prices for next to nothing and bought about 8 of them, mostly m42s but a couple older K-mounts. Some have non-working apertures, sticky blades, beat up filter ring etc, but a couple of them I can't find anything wrong with other than maybe slightly dry focus action. (Although sometimes problems are not immediately obvious until you shoot with them which I have not done yet -- they could have decentering or won't focus to infinity or something. For cheaper lenses I think they don't want to bother fixing problems even if they are fixable.) Optics are all pretty good except one that has a pretty scratched up rear element. So it's a crap shoot.
10-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KEH is notoriously conservative with their condition ratings. You can often find a great deal looking at their "bargain" condition lenses and equipment. I'm not surprised that your "as is" lens is optically fine.
10-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree with the above. KEH is very careful with their ratings. If you noticed marks on the glass, I suspect that is the reason they rated it As-Is. Their "LN-" rating usually means you can't tell it from a brand new product. I trust KEH implicitly in this regard as I have seen over the years that they simply will not over-rate a product just to price it a few bucks higher. Their reputation is too important.

It seems you got a good deal on some usable gear.

10-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most likely, they've simply refrained from warranting ANY condition because the re-sale value of that consumer grade used lens, even in the best of condition, is less than the cost of the labor to critically evaluate the item and stand behind it with integrity and a good reputation.

How much time did you spend determining it was "good" and how much would you have spent to have someone else do it for you if you were going to re-sell it?
10-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

They are not taking returns on the AS-IS items, which I think is new for them -- they have always taken back even those graded "ugly" before. Maybe they were getting too many of those back and so are basically giving some of them away now...
10-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yes, I guess they are getting too many of the normal ones. And as I said, these are not the ones with very high quality optics. I found very few of them with As-Is and if there were, the As-Is ones were somewhat expensive as well.

Well, there was not much need for a visual inspection, all of them look great, in fact they look better than the ex ones I bought from b&h. And there is nothing shaking inside, so just attached them to my camera and tested them and all were working great!