Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2014, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How many variants of Kenko Pz-AF 1.5X TELEPLUS SHQ?

I finally found on Ebay a Kenko 1.5X AF (exact name as per title of the thread). Buy It Now, super price... there was no time to ask questions, i purchased it immediately.
My question would have been: why the seller writes that it does not work with DA lenses?
Going by memory, the SHQ version should be one of the very few 1.4/1.5X converters that are compatible even with SDM and HSM lenses.
I searched the forum, and i discovered that the SHQ was made in different versions (6 or 7 electric contacts... mine has 7 on both sides) and with different names (sometimes "MC" or "MC4" was added at the end of the name).
Now i'm curious about the differences, if any, between the various models, and the degree of compatibility with recent DA lenses, and with Pentax and Sigma objectives with internal focusing motor.
At the moment i'm not very concerned about possible problems. I use teleconverters only with primes, and the only DA prime i own is the 40mm Limited, which i will probably never use with the Kenko 1.5X.
Most of my primes are MF, and most of my AF are zooms... so for the moment the ideal mates for the Kenko will be my Sigma 70mm and 105mm Macros, but i'd like to know which lenses are likely compatible, and which not... just in case of a new bout of LBA!

If somebody out there knows better about the intricacies of Pentax lenses with electric contacts, here is another small question:
why on earth my Pentax-F 70-210mm works well with my K-5 II and K-01, but doesn't "talk" with a perfectly functional K10D body? No AF and no transmission of ANY information.

cheers

Attached Images

10-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I also have the Kenko 1.5X AF, SHQ version.And it works fine with my DA 18 to 135 WR lens. However there is no translation chip in the tele-converter so it only reads the actual focal length of the lens, Not the focal length multiplied by the tele-converter. Nor does it recalculate the aperture. Your tele-converter should have the two power pins that are located in the throat of the lens Along with the extra data pin. Make sure these pens are clean and your lens should work properly.
10-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Mine has 6 contacts on the camera side and 7 (one recessed) on the lens side, plus the "Pz" SDM contacts on both sides. As far as I can tell, and I've compared them side-to-side, it is the same TC as the Tamron-F 1.4x Pz-AF but with different coatings...
10-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Mine has 6 contacts on the camera side and 7 (one recessed) on the lens side, plus the "Pz" SDM contacts on both sides. As far as I can tell, and I've compared them side-to-side, it is the same TC as the Tamron-F 1.4x Pz-AF but with different coatings...
If you look closely, one of the pins is recessed. It's supposed to be like that, That's the way it is on the camera. They do that to keep this pin from shorting out when a standard lenses used. When that pin is shorted it tells the camera That a automatic aperture lens has been placed on the camera, and has been turned on to allow the camera to control the aperture.

10-13-2014, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x Teleplus SHQ has 6 contacts on the body mount side and 7 on the lens mount side. Metering works great as does the AF on my DA 18-135 and other lenses.
As promacjoe noted above, the only drawback is that it doesn't calculate the new focal length. I lose about 2/3 steps of light using this tc.

10-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
If you look closely, one of the pins is recessed. It's supposed to be like that, That's the way it is on the camera. They do that to keep this pin from shorting out when a standard lenses used. When that pin is shorted it tells the camera That a automatic aperture lens has been placed on the camera, and has been turned on to allow the camera to control the aperture.
Yeah, it's the A pin, but OP says he's got 7 on both sides? I've definitely only got 6 on the camera side with a bare metal gap between the two contacts...
10-13-2014, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, it's the A pin, but OP says he's got 7 on both sides? I've definitely only got 6 on the camera side with a bare metal gap between the two contacts...
Well, here's what mine looks like: 7 contacts on either side.

Attached Images

10-13-2014, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry, mine has 6 on the back, with an empty space. I took one of the screws as a pin
Attached Images

10-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice! I bought a used ($2) Cimko 2x-6e yesterday. Works ok for my manual lenses
10-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Btw, what's the function of the missing pin at the back?
10-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It is a binary data pin (Gray code), Not used on the newer autofocus lenses. If I remember correctly, By grounding that pin, It raises the maximum aperture number buy 1 stop. That is assuming that the lens itself has not already grounded that pin.
10-14-2014, 02:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

One more "front 7 - back 6 pins" version here

My version is also "Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x Teleplus SHQ" and has 6 contacts on the body mount side and 7 on the lens mount side (similar to what mgvh and cyberjunkie have posted). Works fine with all of my "screw-drive" lenses. Can't tell for SDM lenses as I don't own or tried any of them.
10-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Mine's also the SHQ with 6/7 pins. Works great for both screw mount and SDM lenses. I've mostly used it with my da* 16-50 and 60-250, but also with my tamron 28-75, which is a screw mount, and just for kicks I've put it on the 40mm xs

As for losing stops of light -- of course you are. Any teleconverter would be doing that. You're changing the effective focal length, so the effective aperture is changing. Less light is getting onto the sensor.