Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #1

Tamron/Sigma walk-around lens queries

Tamron SP AF 24 to 135mm Macro Lens
The above lens is on sale on e-bay, and is quoted as having a Pentax K bayonet fitting;

1 Will this lens work on a K100D Super.
2 Is this lens any good?
3 What would be a reasonable price for a used one?

Does anybody know of decent alternatives within a similar focal range, within a budget of around £200/$380?

The Sigma 18-125mm f3.5-5.6 DC ticks all the boxes, anybody own this lens and have any experience of it?

My only lens to date is the standard kit lens, and in the near future I would like to upgrade to something better. Whilst I like the wide 18mm, the zoom range is a bit restrictive (my old non-DSLR had a 12x zoom).

Initially the mega-zooms interested me, but most reviews donít seem too flattering, but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Adrian

05-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #2

I don't know about the Tamron 24-135...are you looking for a macro specifically?

I have the Pentax (Tamron makes one too) 18-250mm for my "walkaround" lens and have been very happy with it. It would give you a lot more range.

Good luck,
PW
05-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
Many thanks for your reply PW.

After reading various reviews I think that better IQ would be gained by sacrificing the extra range given by a mega-zoom. Again please correct me if I'm incorrect.

The above Tamron appeal as it seems to fit the bill, but whether it will work properly with my camera I'm unsure.

Regards,
Adrian
05-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As for superzooms, many here are really happy with theirs Tamron/Pentax 18-250 (I'm using poor man's superzoom - Tamron 28-200, it's good enough for walkaround lens)
I know Sigma 18-125 exists but haven't held it so I don't know how good/bad it is. Tamron 28-75 seems to be excellent option unless you don't find 28 at wide end too limiting. Otherwise there was quite a few good posts about Sigma 24-60. Oh, and of course Sigma 17-70 is one to coung with. If you find all these too short, you could be in trouble trying to get something you'd really want/like...

05-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendations axl, especially the superzoom.
The Tamron 18-200 also seems very decent, TIPA lens of the year 2005 apparently.

Do you know anything about the Tamron 18-125, I don't know how compatible it will be with digital; see Tamron SP AF 24 to 135mm Macro Lens for Pentax Camera on eBay, also To Fit Pentax, For 35mm SLR, Camera Lenses, Photography (end time 19-May-08 19:30:00 BST)

Regards
Adrian
05-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Tamron Models

I have the 18-250 and find it versatile, light, easy to use.

The IQ is fine for my purposes but they tell me it's not a pro-grade lens. Any superzoom will have compromises. For example, it's not particularly fast.

When I don't need the focal length, I'm also very happy with a Sigma 17-70. It's a bit faster and I've never been disappointed with the images. Please keep in mind, though, that I'm new to this and don't have a well-developed eye yet.

I had a problem with zoom creep but Tamron fixed it quickly and with no fuss and (now) no noticeable creep.

I've frequently read that the IQ of the 18-250 is clearly superior to Tamron's older 18-200. I've not tried both so can't give a personal opinion.

Good luck!
05-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bychan Quote
Tamron SP AF 24 to 135mm Macro Lens
The above lens is on sale on e-bay, and is quoted as having a Pentax K bayonet fitting;

1 Will this lens work on a K100D Super.
2 Is this lens any good?
3 What would be a reasonable price for a used one?

Does anybody know of decent alternatives within a similar focal range, within a budget of around £200/$380?

The Sigma 18-125mm f3.5-5.6 DC ticks all the boxes, anybody own this lens and have any experience of it?

My only lens to date is the standard kit lens, and in the near future I would like to upgrade to something better. Whilst I like the wide 18mm, the zoom range is a bit restrictive (my old non-DSLR had a 12x zoom).

Initially the mega-zooms interested me, but most reviews donít seem too flattering, but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Adrian
Hi Adrian,
Yes, I have the Sigma 18-125, it was the kit lens on my *ist DS back in 2005. I still have the lens and still use it.

Like any super zoom, it is a compromise, but I believe one of the better ones available. IF you dont intend to do a lot of low light stuff (solution: monopod/tripod) it is a good choice for a walk around lens.

I am just back from a trip to NZ where the 18-125 spent most of the time on the DS in my wifes hands, but I did put it on the K20D one day and will post some shots when I get everything sorted. (will post in "post your photos" under some title relating to NZ)

Cheers
Grant