Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DA* Lens Performance on FF (with [HD] 1.4x Teleconverter)

So I was just wondering if anyone has tested any of the DA* Lenses (mainly zooms, it seems the primes are pretty much FF compatible anyway, although they lose AF on film due to their lack of screwdrivers) on a PZ-1 or similar camera and inform me of their performance when paired with the new HD teleconverter? Just wondering if I could use my DA* lenses as F4-F5.6 lenses on a full frame camera if it were to come out. I'm just not sure that the optical performance of the lenses is high enough, but I'd live to be proven wrong.

Thanks in advance, Joshua.

10-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The DA prime lenses from 35mm and longer should work fine on a full frame camera. The DA* 55mm f1.4 is the only one that will not focus on a full frame camera, because it is SDM only, all the others are dual SDM and screw drive. DA prime lenses shorter than 35mm will vignette, but they all have screw drive so they can be focused on file cameras.

DA zoom lenses are different. Reports indicate that one cam expect them all to vignette - Wide angle zooms more so than telephoto zooms. The DA* 60-250mm f4 would have the least vignetting. You should be able to focus all of these lenses except, I think, the 17-70mm which only has DC fosucing via the SDM contacts.

Regards

Chris
10-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
The DA prime lenses from 35mm and longer should work fine on a full frame camera. The DA* 55mm f1.4 is the only one that will not focus on a full frame camera, because it is SDM only, all the others are dual SDM and screw drive. DA prime lenses shorter than 35mm will vignette, but they all have screw drive so they can be focused on file cameras.

DA zoom lenses are different. Reports indicate that one cam expect them all to vignette - Wide angle zooms more so than telephoto zooms. The DA* 60-250mm f4 would have the least vignetting. You should be able to focus all of these lenses except, I think, the 17-70mm which only has DC fosucing via the SDM contacts.

Regards

Chris
As the TC only use the central part of the the optics the vignetting problem should be minimized on all focal lengths, as long as the TC is supporting FF.

A 1.4x TC can be used for converting a APS-C lens to a FF lens, as it will use the APS-C image circle and expand it to (almost) FF image circle.
But TCs are usually optimized for long focal length so they might not work well on wide angle focal lengths

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-13-2014 at 10:06 PM.
11-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax 1.4x HD PENTAX-DA

Although there has been speculation in this thread and others about how the new TC would work on FF I do not recall seeing any clear statements of whether it really would allow APS-C lenses to cover the image circle of a FF camera. Does anyone have information on this? I suppose it could be tested on a 35mm film camera.