Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
walk around lens

I recommend the Pentax FA 24-90, between $200 and $300 for a used copy on eBay.

10-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tranceplante Quote
ok... I have another questions. Can someone link me or break down for me all the terminology for the pentax lens. what does those term means: DA - SMC - WR etc..??

So confusing
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

SMC = Super Multi Coating
HD = HD Coating, the replacement for SMC going forward.
WR = "simplified weather-resistant construction" to protect against ingress of water.
AW = "dust-proof and water-resistant" DA* lenses are AW even if not marked as such.

AL = aspherical lens, not to be confused with DA L which is a Pentax kit lens (All 3 of which are AL lenses anyway).

SDM = Supersonic Drive Motor. Uses an in lens motor to focus the lens with vibrations.
DC = A better in lens focusing motor than SDM.
10-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
WR means weather resistant and the lenses with a * are the high end, professional grade lenses which are also weather resistant.
Clarification: the DA* lenses are All Weather (better quality weather resistance than WR lenses). No other * lenses are weather resistant. The * appellation goes back to the A series lenses, which launched in 1983 (not sure when the first A* lens was made though).
10-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For more good walk around options and even more confusing abbreviations, I'll just mention a couple of Sigma lenses, the 17-70 C (the latest version) and their 17-50.

They are both very good lenses. When looking for a better walk around lens, you first have to really decide what is better for you. A faster lens (f/2.8), which will be very good for lower light shooting, or greater zoom range, like a 17-70 or 18-135? That's something you really have to decide for yourself because what works for me may not work for you.

10-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I recently took both my DA18-135 and my DA*16-50 on a European holiday, which may seem like overkill to some. However, I found the 18-135 was on the K-3 for most of the time, simply because of its extra reach, and I carried the DA15 for wider views where necessary. I did attach the 16-50 when I wanted more to do more critical work, as I did with my FA31 occasionally, and I was happy not carrying extra weight at times.

Nonetheless, with the 18-135, you'll need good post-processing software to provide lens correction. I used CS3 on my laptop to get the mountain of such work started while I was away, but it doesn't have lens profiles and its CA correction isn't as good as with CS5, which I have on my desktop computer, so I've had to do some additional PP as well, now that I'm home. The DA*16-50 benefits from this, too, I have to say. If you're just starting out with a DSLR, though, I'd go for the 18-135 as a general purpose lens. It's weather-sealed and the DC drive is very quick and quiet.
10-14-2014, 11:56 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
when looking for a walkaround lens, the only 2 that come immediately to mind are the 2 already suggested :sigma 17-70(c) and DA 18-135.
Personally I would go for the pentax, maybe because I already have one and im thrilled with the lens. Its ever so slightly cheaper than the sigma, slightly lighter and its WR. The autofocus is fast, quiet and accurate, only advantage I give to the sigma is probably that its a faster lens. but f/2.8 is only up to 21mm, f/3.5 to 45mm and then f/4 up to 70mm, which isnt bad I guess. but the pentax zooms to 135mm and I am sure that you will need the extra focal length. You should go for the pentax only for the WR capability.its a no brainer really (assuming your camera is WR too).
10-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #22

Original Poster
great advice from everyone, thx for your real world experiences. Very helpful.