Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
There is more to an image than the lens.
Oh definitely! I think no-one will disagree with that.

10-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
There is more to an image than the lens.
But some images just look better with some lenses

Probably one of my more artistic shots just playing around out in the yard with the girls.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
10-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
Probably one of my more artistic shots just playing around out in the yard with the girls.
Gorgeous!
10-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

If you were serious about saving money though because you don't use it that much and you want similar quality - the Rokinon/Samyang/Vivitar 85 1.4 is pretty darn stellar. The focus rings are hit and miss, and there is no SMC, but for portraits they are extremely good. I would certainly put their 85 over the DA 70 in portrait ability. But probably near your FA size but cost - $210 used (at least the one I am selling). I really liked mine, somebody decided they would give me a great deal on a FA 77, otherwise the 85 would have stayed. I've produced some incredible pictures with mine. I am surprised by the accuracy of in focus. I shot quite a bit between 1.4-1.8 and I didn't miss often at all with either my K5II or K30.
Here is an example - Pretty sharp wide open.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by zbrueningsen; 10-14-2014 at 09:09 PM.
10-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't tried the FA85, but the DA70 has done quite well for me:

dionusia patricia
by john m flores, on Flickr

olga

untitled, for now
10-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I haven't tried the FA85, but the DA70 has done quite well for me:

dionusia patricia

olga

untitled, for now
Fantastic illustrations of how I am not that great! I had a few turn out really well with the DA 70, but that first one you have is stellar.
10-15-2014, 03:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just wondering how FA85 will compare to Sigma 85mm 1.4 as I have the same dilemma for which lens I should go in that range... Samyang, Sigma or FA85. I do consider also 77ltd as well.

10-15-2014, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #23

I have DA*55, FA77Lim and FA*85. They are all great lenses but only with the FA*85 almost every image comes out to be a masterpiece. Only FA*85 delivers some sort of FF experience. Objects pop out from images! Also, the lens somehow alters the colours so that human faces look extremly well.

Here, I think, one can find good examles of what FA*85 is capable of (as well as DA*55) - [AF] Portrait bonanza with Pentax FA* 85/1.4 and DA* 55/1.4
10-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #24

These are all from the FA* 85mm, wide open at f1.4
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by Drake Avenue; 10-15-2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: resolution
10-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't own an FA*85mm F1.4, but rather an A*85mm F1,4. I suspect the two are quite similar in image rendering. I bought a DA70 F2.4 limited for the lighter weight and smaller size (also in my case for the autofocus). I thought I would replace the 85 with it. I really like the 70 and carry it in my bag most of the time instead of the 85, but I will not part with the 85. It is my favorite. I use it at my home and for specific types of photos. It produces certain image qualities (especially at F2.0 and F1.4) that I can't reproduce with the 70. I too thought I would save money by selling the 85, but instead ended up with two great lenses. I guess some of the other lenses I want will just have to come later rather than sooner. Just some food for thought. Good luck with what ever you decide.
10-19-2014, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input from all of you.
Yesterday I had a nice shooting session with two friends of mine using the FA* again.
See some sample pictures here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/276044-people-first-p...vitations.html

I realized that for this kind of shooting, where I will arrive with ~3 lenses, a reflector, at least one tripod, a flash, cactus V6, batteries... it does not matter whether the FA* is a little bit bigger than the other lenses. The bag will be filled in any case, and my gym membership pays off when I lug all that stuff around...

But the quality itself... mhh... I love the lens.

Will keep it.
10-20-2014, 06:23 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
If you were serious about saving money though because you don't use it that much and you want similar quality - the Rokinon/Samyang/Vivitar 85 1.4 is pretty darn stellar.
+1

The Samyang is excellent both in terms of wide open sharpness and bokeh quality.

P.S.: I'd never trade the FA* 85/1.4 for a DA 70/2.4. The latter is a competent lens but I feel that its main virtue is its compactness. Optically, it is no match for the FA* 85/1.4 (or the Samyang).
10-20-2014, 07:07 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Just wondering how FA85 will compare to Sigma 85mm 1.4 as I have the same dilemma for which lens I should go in that range... Samyang, Sigma or FA85. I do consider also 77ltd as well.
I owned the Sigma EX 85mm f1.4 (after I sold my DA 70mm f2.4) I bought it for FA 77 money, thought being modern, HSM etc would be better. In reality It didn't grew on me, large, heavy, cool tones. It's very sharp, with good bokeh and isolation, but I personally didn't like its character (I preferred the rendering of my -F 50mm f1.4 over it, ) I sold mine some months back, and bought the DA* 55mm f1.4. I really like the Da* 55, solid, robust (not too big) smaller than my Sigma Ex 50mm f1.4, both have similar low light AF capabilities, Sigma might be sharper on the MTF scale by a hair but it cant touch colors of the DA*. If you're really want the Sigma 85mm get the new Art version should be coming up, otherwise get the DA* 55, (or the FA 85 if you can afford it I personally like "pentax" colors, if I didn't I'd be using a Canon DSLR, and the Sigma rendering seems to have been built for that camera.)

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Thanks for the input from all of you.
Yesterday I had a nice shooting session with two friends of mine using the FA* again.
See some sample pictures here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/276044-people-first-p...vitations.html

I realized that for this kind of shooting, where I will arrive with ~3 lenses, a reflector, at least one tripod, a flash, cactus V6, batteries... it does not matter whether the FA* is a little bit bigger than the other lenses. The bag will be filled in any case, and my gym membership pays off when I lug all that stuff around...

But the quality itself... mhh... I love the lens.

Will keep it.
All I have to say is: I wish I was in your position
-Have fun with the Fa*

Last edited by Stavri; 10-20-2014 at 07:20 AM.
10-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Hi everybody,

me again, thinking about lenses again...
This time, it is actually about SAVING money instead of throwing more of it away (I know, sounds crazy...).

I am not carrying my FA*85 1.4 around with me all that much, since the lens is a tank. I love it, but I only take it for "I-want-to-shoot-portraits" occasions.
But most of the time, right now I use the FA 31 limited for almost anything, and the size/weight of the 85 is a bit of a pain in the ass for casual walking around.
So I was thinking about selling the FA* and getting a DA 70 2.4 for around 300 bucks... If I manage to sell the FA* for at least 800 bucks (should be no problem), I can make 500 bucks that go into my drinking-fond...

What do you think?
Yes, no? Why, why not?
Other suggestions instead of the 70? Should I go 50? Should I go 100?
What would you do... etc. etc.

Cheers
René
Train your arms dude, the FA85 is a low weight lens compared to the new 85 mm designs from Sigma, Nikon, Zeiss, ...
10-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I owned the Sigma EX 85mm f1.4 (after I sold my DA 70mm f2.4) I bought it for FA 77 money, thought being modern, HSM etc would be better. In reality It didn't grew on me, large, heavy, cool tones. It's very sharp, with good bokeh and isolation, but I personally didn't like its character (I preferred the rendering of my -F 50mm f1.4 over it, ) I sold mine some months back, and bought the DA* 55mm f1.4. I really like the Da* 55, solid, robust (not too big) smaller than my Sigma Ex 50mm f1.4, both have similar low light AF capabilities, Sigma might be sharper on the MTF scale by a hair but it cant touch colors of the DA*. If you're really want the Sigma 85mm get the new Art version should be coming up, otherwise get the DA* 55, (or the FA 85 if you can afford it I personally like "pentax" colors, if I didn't I'd be using a Canon DSLR, and the Sigma rendering seems to have been built for that camera.)
Thank you for the response! The thing is that I hesitated for Sigma 85mm just in regards of color cast while as you I do like Pentax colors. I know that in PP everything can be adjusted but why I do bother myself and even for fast shooting where I need to deliver in less than one day I use sometimes JPG with quick adjustments in Lightroom and all is good. Strange is that as you reported 85mm Sigma has cool tones and my zoom Sigmas have a warm tone.
I have to check new Sigma 35mm Art again on the color cast.
(My uncle owns it and let me use whenever I need it; He got himself a Pentax K3 on my recommendation and after my K5II blow his Canon gear with new Zeiss 50 1.4 lens on it. I had just Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4 attached and I must admit that Zeiss was slightly better wide open but when he compared photographs on his power mac he loved the sharpness of the super-tak and raved about colors too. One more Pentax lover has been born. BTW his Canon camera had more pixels than Pentax, do not rememberthe model anymore as it is sold with 600 shutter count only).

Wondering how different will be color cast, compared on K3, taken with 35mm Art and 31 Ltd but I do not have 31Ltd to test it.

Summa Summarum I guess that I have to look for FA85mm or maybe 77Ltd. and as you said I will wait a bit for new 85 Art. I guess in the meantime I will get Samyang 85mm just to have fun with it unless I can get FA85 for cheap... but this will be a dream.

Thank you again!