Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Just get the DA*16-50.

If you already have the DA15, DA21 DA35 and DA40 limiteds to fall back on if flare, CA or need for close focus or 14 point starbursts are an issue you have a very versatile system in that focal range.
Listen to Sandy. I did

10-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Wanna really make your head spin... consider buying one of the many great primes out there instead of a zoom.
If you read the first post carefully, I think you'll find the original poster already has a few primes in this focal range....
10-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
But as you know Norm, the old Kerrowdown here doesn't have the expertise to operate these new fangled zoom things, lets alone ones without aperture rings and funny self focusing stuff on them.
Screw it on, press the button... don't touch anything.. better still , something like the DA 50 1.8, there's nothing to touch.

Last edited by normhead; 10-29-2014 at 10:10 AM.
10-29-2014, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm still playing around with some old MF zooms before I spend the money. I have a dozen "Rubik's Cube" macro-zooms from the 70s & 80s. You know the ones; twist it this way for zoom, that way for wide, pull and twist the other way for "macro", then hope you can figure out how to twist-pull-twist to get it back to minimum-size. I also have a pile of old manual-focus lenses in 28mm, 50mm, and 135mm, but I haven't quite gotten used to their FoV in APS-C format. I would likely set up a darkroom before I would buy a 135-format DSLR.

I use the DA Limiteds when I need to do serious work, plus the M-50/f4 and M-100/F4 macro lenses. I really only want the DA*16-50 for tourist stuff and snapshots - a true walk-around lens. I have the DA35 & DA50, but I rarely use them. I feel like I need to either embrace them or release them back into the wild.