Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like this option the best but you should probably research a bit to really see if you will need the length. I love my 55-300 but not so much within the city.

"2. Sigma 10-20mm, DA 18-135mm, DA 55-300? (issue: poor for nighttime photos)"

One last thought if you feel the need for a prime. I recently picked up this guy and it fits in a filter pocket in my bag. Allows to bring one extra lens without noticing that you have it.

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS

10-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I typically take my Tamron 17-50/2.8 + DA 55-300 + one other not-too-big lens that I might use if I feel all 'artistic'. The artistic lens taken can vary depending on what mood I'm in and what I think I might encounter. Last trip it was a FA 43 Limited. In practice, 90% plus of images use the Tamron, 55-300 comes out if critters are involved or I'm plane spotting at airports (although I got some great night shots of KL last trip with the 55-300 on a tripod) and maybe just once the 'artistic lens' gets used. Sawpping lenses a lot can be impractical (not enough spare hands, being hurried along, dust worries), so I find I don't do a whole lot of lens changes.

This lot works well for me either on round the world business travel or regional family holidays.

I'm off again in two weeks for work. Umming about taking a FA20-35/4 in lieu of the Tamron as I'm grown to rather like the 20-35 (sharpness + colors) of late. But Tamron does better star bursts for city night scenes and I do like my night shots. But for dull interiors, the F2.8 vs F4 has its advantages when ISO is already being pushed up. The 17-20 bit of the Tamron also has its advantages in cramped settings.

A 60-250 is bulky and heavy. Not so good for travel/walking about lots. That is the 55-300 advantage - you'll carry it about everywhere while a heavy lens will spend days sitting in the hotel room.

WR can be over-emphasised. Be half sensible and water ingress shouldn't be a problem (stand under an eave/tree, stuff camera under waterproof jacket if caught outdoors, etc. If using a zoom, wipe droplets of extended barrel before retracting.

Last three trips I've packed a tripod so I can get city night shots. I get by with one less pair of shoes now to make room / offset the weight. I use a Cullman 4 section tripod with Manfrotto ball head and RC2 quick release plate. If I travel with just a small carry-on suitcase, I unscrew the ball head and the whole lot fits neatly in the carry-on. For a long trip with larger suitcase, ball head on/off doesn't matter. Might only get used once or twice, but the photos are worth the effort.

Some teaser images from Stockholm last year (to bolster my case to take a tripod): Stockholm at Night | Photo Morsels

Haven't choosen the artistic lens for the coming trip. A 31 limited seems to be at the top of mind at present.

Last edited by southlander; 10-16-2014 at 09:49 PM.
10-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My suggestion is option 1, or option 6 if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, but the K30 is a dang capable camera, and well suited for a trip like that. You might find you use the 18-135 most of the time, you'll have a good WA zoom for tight spots and interesting perspectives, and a fast prime for night, indoor, whatever. Have fun.
10-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I doubt the 55-300 would get much use in Singapore. The 18-135 should be long enough, and WR in case of bad weather. Something wider and something faster would complete a suitable kit.

10-17-2014, 01:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Sigma 10-20 plus the kit 18-55 if it's the WR version, else the 18-135WR. You do not need the 55+ range. In Singapore expect daily showers.
If you go to the zoo in night then take the DA*55 for occasional night shots.

Seb