Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #31
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've been following this thread with great interest, and am thankful for the suggestions of lens. However, it's really confusing when members start attacking each other, rather than simply moving on and making more suggestions. Since I'm new to Pentax, the availability of lens is overwhelming, and I wish to get the best I can afford, for the type of photography I do; landscape, wildlife, macro.

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to help me!

10-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@csa,

Sorry for taking the thread a bit off the direction you intended. It did annoy me to see a valuable member and a great photographer just be rudely attacked for no reason.

And Greg (northcoastgreg) is too humble to direct people to his site, where he reviews a few of the lenses you would probably consider, which would be in or very close to your budget:

http://www.northcoastphotographer.net/blog/index.html

Look for these:

. DA 15mm f4 Limited (used older SMC version can be found for around 450 here at our Marketplace forums)
. FA 20-35mm f4 (around 300-400 used, no longer made)
. DA 17-70mm (can be found used for just over 300 dollars at keh.com with 6-month warranty)
. DA 16-45mm (can be found used for around 200ish, no longer available new)
. DA 12-24mm (probably out of your budget, but still worth checking out...)

Look in the Pentax reviews in this forum as well, as someone already pointed out. I find, however, that it is useful to see the lens in actual use - without lots of post processing that make the actual lens output almost irrecognizable - instead of just reading about it. So do a search on flickr for the lenses you are considering and you'll see all sorts of people who use them - some without any post processing at all.

As for me, since I have a much lower budget than most, I went with a Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5. It's actually pretty decent, especially considering the price. It works for me, but I have no professional aspirations in the near future...

Good luck in your search!
10-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #33
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No apology necessary; I agree about the rudeness of personal attacks, it's very distracting and leaves a bad taste for anyone reading it.

Thanks for the link, I'll certainly go to his site, and also thanks for the lens suggestions! The 12-24 seems to be greatly appreciated, and I've had that in mind. I'd rather get a lens that is a great one, even out of my budget, than getting a couple of "ho hum" lens that I won't be happy with.

Again, thanks!
10-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #34
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
csa, here are some examples of the pentax-m 28/3.5 that i was referring to earlier... it's maybe $40-50? a nice piece of glass, for cheap.

i wish that i had a better handle on the pp, for that shot of roosevelt point.

Grand Canyon North Rim pics

10-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #35
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
From what I could see, it definitely does a great job!! I had problems with clicking on the images to enlarge them to view; screen would turn dark, and nothing would happen. A couple did show enlarged, and they were impressive!