Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #1

Newbie question film/digital lense crossover?

Hello. I have been told by more then one person in my area that Pentax lenses from the film era fit on Pentax digital cameras. Is that correct and is it the same for all other manufacturers?

Thanks

10-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensCollector Quote
Hello. I have been told by more then one person in my area that Pentax lenses from the film era fit on Pentax digital cameras. Is that correct and is it the same for all other manufacturers?

Thanks
Pentax lenses - no problem.
Just check for the "Ricoh pin" on some K-mount lenses, they can potentially get stuck on your camera, but it's just a few lenses and there's way to remove them in case they do.

Other manufacturers:
Canon
There's a great divide in about 1987, when they changed AF system. Everything after that is ok, everything before won't fit

Nikon
Often you'll have reduced functionality, many old lenses have been retrofitted with an aperture coupling.
You will find a very informative & comprehensive article on Ren Cockwell's (AAAARGH!!! ) blog... it's called "Nikon Lens Compatibility"

Last edited by LensBeginner; 10-22-2014 at 02:02 PM.
10-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes that is correct. You can use any K mount lens on a Pentax DSLR camera. You can even use M42 screw mount lenses. No, other manufacturers do not follow the same Standard. Certain cameras can use certain older lenses. But not all. for instance, Canon has three different mounts and is rumored to be developing a fourth. These mounts are not interchangeable. On a Nikon camera, certain cameras cannot use older lenses. Others, mostly professional level cameras, can use the older lenses. You need to check the owners manual to find out which cameras will and will not accept the older lenses.
10-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Pentax lenses - no problem. Just check for the "Ricoh pin" on some K-mount lenses, they can potentially get stuck on your camera, but it's just a few lenses and there's way to remove them in case they do.
Just to add if it is an actual Pentax brand lens then there is no problem. It is some third party lenses that have issues. The Ricoh pin is one and some have a larger aperture lever shield that causes issues on digital. But any Pentax brand lens will work, and nearly all third party k-mount lenses will work with no issues.

10-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks
All genuine Pentax lenses will fit and work. There are some metering restrictions for M, K, and adapted M42 lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Here's an overview of the different Pentax lens series and their functionality:
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks a lot you guys. That is a big help.

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 02:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just to add if it is an actual Pentax brand lens then there is no problem. It is some third party lenses that have issues. The Ricoh pin is one and some have a larger aperture lever shield that causes issues on digital. But any Pentax brand lens will work, and nearly all third party k-mount lenses will work with no issues.

Interesting so if I took a Tamron off a Pentax, it might not fit on another pentax?
10-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting so if I took a Tamron off a Pentax, it might not fit on another pentax?
There are only a handful of lenses that have the big aperture level shield. It hits the SDM contact bar on a digital Pentax and I think on some of the later film ones. If it is a problem the shield can be removed to make it work. I think it is found only on Vivitar and Sigma lenses but my knowledge is limited.

The Ricoh pin is a little more problematic as it can be found on a number of older lenses but I do not think any Tamron lenses have it. If you want just post the exact model of the lens and usually someone will chime in with advice.

Are your lenses auto-focus? If so then I do not think there are any issues. it is older manual focus lenses that might have issues.

But really the potential issues are tiny compared to the vast number of lenses that work flawlessly.

10-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hello. I have been told by more then one person in my area that Pentax lenses from the film era fit on Pentax digital cameras....
great news eh ?
I was overjoyed to hear Pentax made DSLR and my super takumar 50/1.4 would have a new life
10-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
There are only a handful of lenses that have the big aperture level shield. It hits the SDM contact bar on a digital Pentax and I think on some of the later film ones. If it is a problem the shield can be removed to make it work. I think it is found only on Vivitar and Sigma lenses but my knowledge is limited.

The Ricoh pin is a little more problematic as it can be found on a number of older lenses but I do not think any Tamron lenses have it. If you want just post the exact model of the lens and usually someone will chime in with advice.

Are your lenses auto-focus? If so then I do not think there are any issues. it is older manual focus lenses that might have issues.

But really the potential issues are tiny compared to the vast number of lenses that work flawlessly.

Thanks again. Really appreciate the feed back.
10-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two Soligor C/D series zooms (mid 80s?) that both had the big shield. A couple minutes with a Dremel fixed that.

Adaptall mounts marked "K/R" are reported to have the Ricoh pin. Anything marked K/R (meaning for K-mount/Ricoh) should be checked, but it's an easy fix.
10-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Pentax lenses from the film era fit on Pentax digital cameras
Just one of the many joys of Pentax ownership.
10-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks
Just to give you a full answer. Yes and no.

All pentax lenses, even screw mounts can be used (screw mounts with an adaptor), but not all functions are possible with legacy lenses.

Other makers do not go so far, Nikon is not bad, but not all bodies can meter with legacy lenses, and canon had abroad owned its lens mount twice in the 1980's. Minolta changed when they went to AF ( note Minolta AF lenses fit on sony digital cameras)

Can't comment on Olympus film to digital,

Between makers, lenses can't be easily switched. Each maker has a different regestry distance (distance between lens mount and film plane) so swapping between makers is hard, although due to design, most other brand lenses can fit on canon bodies with adaptors because canon has the shortest regestry distance and a large diameter lens mount
10-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian

that Tamron is gagging to meet a Pentax DSLR
10-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
that Tamron is gagging to meet a Pentax DSLR

Lol thanks a lot man. I have about 10 Tamrons that came off Pentax and several others that came off Nikon and a couple off a Canon.

Got some Vivitars on a camera called "Chinon" which I have never heard of and a Tam off it also.

All toll about 60 lenses I reckon. Trying to figure out the best way to put them on the market. Of course I took pics of them but when I dl'd to photobucket they all got mixed up. Man I was pissed off.
10-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I recommend you peruse the PF Lens reviews section when you are shopping for a lens to verify compatibility and to identify some garage sale treasures. Many great older lenses can be had in the under $100 category. Heck, some of my favorites are under $50.
Happy shopping.