Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kenko 2X MC7 DG Teleplus Autofocus Teleconverter for Pentax AF

Kenko | 2x DG AF Tele-Converter for Pentax AF | MC7AFDGPK | B&H

I have a Nikon friend that swears by this Teleconverter. Anyone have any experience with them on Pentax gear?

05-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I have one and the image quality is certainly worth the price. I have found one strange thing though. On my Zeiss f2, the camera still shows an f2 max aperature, but on my Voigtlander f1.4 the camera shows a max aperature of f2.8 and the pictures overexpose 2 stops. I don't know if this is a quirk of the converter or the lens but the simple fix is to set the ev comp for -2, or meter stoped down in manual with the green button.
05-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Pat, I have also found the Kenko MC7 DG 2x to be a good TC. Here are a few bird shots with the DA*300 + TC

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/26171-few-birds-da-300-a.html

I also did some test crops of images including the 2x TC which you can find here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/26491-da-300-s...-some-tcs.html

The 2x requires an aperture of F4 or brighter to get AF, but I can't get AF with the DA*300
even with its F4 aperture. I have to use manual focus.

I agree that left to its own devices metering seems to overexpose, but I generally find -0.5 or -1.0 is sufficient compensation. This may vary perhaps with the lens/TC combination. I suspect in my case that I've been using AV mode a lot combined with spot metering and just with a slight movement of the camera the exposure will change and overexpose the main subject. I would be better using the exposure lock or using manual metering to get full control of exposure.

Paul
05-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the examples and info. I may look into one as the price is not that bad. again thanks