Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 376
Russian Lenses

Hey guys! I've read a lot about the Zenitar Fish and the Jupiter-9 but what are some other Russian made lenses that you have tried and deem worth buying?

I might be in St. Petersburg for a few weeks in July and hope to be going on a lens binge I'll check on allowances but if it's possible I'll bring some back for anyone who request too.

05-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nowhere, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 654
QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Hey guys! I've read a lot about the Zenitar Fish and the Jupiter-9 but what are some other Russian made lenses that you have tried and deem worth buying?

I might be in St. Petersburg for a few weeks in July and hope to be going on a lens binge I'll check on allowances but if it's possible I'll bring some back for anyone who request too.
Helios 44-2 58mm/2f. So sharp its scary. And when I say scary, I mean I can acctually see the pores in the face of my 2 year old. I can't do that with my bare eyes from 3cm.
05-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
the 2 you mentioned and the mir lenses are the ones i have seen discussed extensively. thats a very generous offer you just made and the lba tickle is starting. i'm tempted to put in a request for a jupiter9 85mm and a m-42 to k-mount adapter. are you aware of this site:

MC JUPITER-9 2/85 Lens lens for Pentax
05-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
amazing lenses

MAY have QC problems, my zenitar did, but it was easy to fix because the lenses are so simple

M mode only tho, and no AF, otherwise, awesome.

i tried the Zenitar on a film SLR the other day... WOOOOO

05-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 376
Original Poster
No I haven't seen that site, but with the QC issue's people have talked about and high shipping rates you usually see I rather wait since I will be there to try them out myself
05-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
I ordered a Jupiter-9 from a different site (good ratings) over three weeks ago, and I'm getting a bit worried - the site had a "two week shipping" claim. I know things can take a while from Russia, but they have not responded to an email as of yet... If it ends up being a problem they'll get an e-bay ding and I'll let 'yall know who to avoid.



.
05-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
Voe
Veteran Member
Voe's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 708
Okami, another great russian lens worth mentioning is the Volna-9 which is a 50mm f/2.8 macro 1:2 lens and it has very special bokeh due to its star shaped aperture blades.

Have a look at the following post and see how it compares to other great 50s lenses:
Manual Focus Forum / 50ish - wide open

BTW I returned the Vivitar 105mm macro as it had a faulty aperture and it would not open more than f/4.5 when used in Av mode on my K10D, even though I could do this from the aperture ring with no problems, but I also found the lens barrel to be in a very bad shape. So don't regret that you did not get it.
05-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Owego, NY
Posts: 976
It's really too bad the Russian lens manufacturers don't have any US-based dealers.

I think they'd be able to sell a LOT more lenses if they sold through a dealer that had fast trackable (yet economic) shipping and some sort of return policy.

I keep getting tempted by the Rubinar mirror lenses as they're supposedly some of the best mirror lenses out there, but they're just too risky at their current prices with no U.S. dealers. (They used to be a lot cheaper apparently.)

05-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
It's really too bad the Russian lens manufacturers don't have any US-based dealers.

I think they'd be able to sell a LOT more lenses if they sold through a dealer that had fast trackable (yet economic) shipping and some sort of return policy.

I keep getting tempted by the Rubinar mirror lenses as they're supposedly some of the best mirror lenses out there, but they're just too risky at their current prices with no U.S. dealers. (They used to be a lot cheaper apparently.)

how big of a demand is there for world war 2 manual only lenses?

Russia's specialized technology sector is pretty much non existant, i would not be surpised, knowing how shit goes on over there, that the lenses that you buy are put together from parts manufactured YEARS ago when things were built for teh sake of being built.

my Zenitar came with a pamphlet stating it was manufactured in 2007, perhaps it was assembeled in 2007 but i'm quite certain that the raw parts for it are decades old.

at this point its just a collectors item really, and honestly guys, 30 dollars for shipping, thats not all that outrageous.
05-16-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sedona Az
Posts: 216
Interesting.
I was in Moscow last month and will be there again in June .
This time in Chelny .
Did not think of looking for lenses .

If there is any shops that sell lenses in Chelny , I will check them out
05-17-2008, 01:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Abbazz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Myanmar
Posts: 520
I have recently discovered some vintage Russian lens catalogs (they are available online on my website).

Okami, if you go to St. Petersburg, please bring me back the following lenses:
- the 20mm F/0.5 mirror lens ref. 48-036, page 269 of the GOI lens catalog;
- the Helios-67 200mm F/1.5 ref. 58-12, page 398 of the GOI lens catalog;
- the Dinar-2 300mm F/1.8 ref.58-12, page 399 of the GOI lens catalog;
- the Uran-12 500mm F/2.5 ref.43.05, page 214 of the GOI lens catalog;
- the Mars-5 1000mm F/4.0 ref.54-07, page 348 of the GOI lens catalog;
- the Mars-7 1800mm F/6.0 ref.58-11, page 396 of the GOI lens catalog.

If you have some more room in your suitcase, there are also a few lenses that I'd like to have from the other two catalogs .

Cheers!

Abbazz
05-17-2008, 01:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member
ftpaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yurp
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,669
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
- the 20mm F/0.5 mirror lens ref. 48-036, page 269 of the GOI lens catalog;
- the Helios-67 200mm F/1.5 ref. 58-12, page 398 of the GOI lens catalog;
- the Dinar-2 300mm F/1.8 ref.58-12, page 399 of the GOI lens catalog;
- the Uran-12 500mm F/2.5 ref.43.05, page 214 of the GOI lens catalog;
- the Mars-5 1000mm F/4.0 ref.54-07, page 348 of the GOI lens catalog;
- the Mars-7 1800mm F/6.0 ref.58-11, page 396 of the GOI lens catalog.
Holy crap! Those are science-fiction!

f/0.5??
1800mm f/6????!?!
05-17-2008, 02:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Abbazz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Myanmar
Posts: 520
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Holy crap! Those are science-fiction!

f/0.5??
1800mm f/6????!?!
In fact, all these lenses seem to be "special purpose" lenses. The 20/0.5 has an image circle of 2.9mm, it might have been used on a microscopy device. All the others are huge conventional lenses (not mirror lenses) that were maybe destined for aerial photography (spy satellite eyes?).

Cheers!

Abbazz
05-17-2008, 07:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
In fact, all these lenses seem to be "special purpose" lenses. The 20/0.5 has an image circle of 2.9mm, it might have been used on a microscopy device. All the others are huge conventional lenses (not mirror lenses) that were maybe destined for aerial photography (spy satellite eyes?).

Cheers!

Abbazz
can u give me the name of the outlet where to get these in st.petersburg?
05-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member
Abbazz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Myanmar
Posts: 520
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
can u give me the name of the outlet where to get these in st.petersburg?
I doubt you could find those lenses in the average pawn shop but Russia is a country of many surprises...

Cheers!

Abbazz
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lenses, pentax lens, russian, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Russian Lenses Bubbabob Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 04-14-2010 04:56 PM
Russian made lenses Garyleed Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 11-30-2009 09:21 PM
Do you think the K-7's video capablity will lead to a run on Russian lenses? konraDarnok Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 05-31-2009 08:51 PM
russian lenses axl Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 05-07-2009 11:36 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:32 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top