Pentax SMC-DA 50-200 4-5,6f
Pentax SMC-M 200mm 4f
Pentax S-M-C Takumar 300mm 4f

Schneider-Kreuznach Edix-Tele-Xenar 135mm 3,5f

Sigma DC 18-50 2,8f EX MACRO

Tamron Adaptall-2 28mm 2,5f
Tamron Adaptall 200mm 4,5f

Tokina Wide 17mm 3,5f

Bellows, reverserings, extensiontubes, filters and 2 M42 2x converters, 1 PK 2x converter, 1 PK 1,5x converter.

I'd like to see the a collection on Nikon or Canon that match that list at the same or even near cost of infinity able lenses. Thats what I got and I got my first Pentax 18th of Mars 2008. If not counting the Pentax DA and the Sigma. I suppose I have spent about 400$ on that total.
Add Olympus OM lenses, some contax lenses, NAI nikon lenses and maybe some more to the list and you will have a list of compatibility with cropped Canon bodies. Hope it helps

05-20-2008, 06:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
If not counting the Pentax DA and the Sigma. I suppose I have spent about 400$ on that total.
Unless those are all in terrible condition and/or infected with fungus, you wouldn't be able to build that kit for $400 without a LOT of luck. It isn't impossible, but you can't count on more than 1 person doing it.

And you could build a pretty good kit of Tamron Adaptall and Nikon manual focus lenses for about the same as a comparable M42 kit.
05-20-2008, 06:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
One of the things that I constantly see debated is the cost of Pentax lens vs the others.

My rant is.....

Why does this matter?
One of the reasons this might be important is because Pentax bodies are less expensive and some people tout the 'system' as being cheaper. It probably isn't true unless you're sticking with just the kit lens (although most people do just this).

And for people who want, for example, a 24mm lens, a fast 28mm lens, or an 85mm lens, Pentax can be a very expensive proposition. We're talking about much more than a $100 difference, and this is even comparing a USED Pentax to a NEW Canon/Nikon.
05-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Unless those are all in terrible condition and/or infected with fungus, you wouldn't be able to build that kit for $400 without a LOT of luck. It isn't impossible, but you can't count on more than 1 person doing it.

And you could build a pretty good kit of Tamron Adaptall and Nikon manual focus lenses for about the same as a comparable M42 kit.
Hehe done a few good bargains. The last two days I bought these two packages;

40$
Spgelreflex Praktica med tillbehör på Tradera. Övriga | Systemkameror |

70$
Samlarekamera Pentax Spotmatic SP med optik m.m. på Tradera. Pentax |

Meyer-Optik Görlitz 5032856 Orestegor 200mm/4 with caps
Meyer-Optik Görlitz 4022199 Domiplan 50mm/2,8
Pentax Super-Takumar 35mm/3,5 with caps and original leather bag
Chinonflex Auto Reflex 100mm/2,8
APS Auto Teleplus 2X with caps and original leather bag
Panagor extensiontubes 18mm and 36mm
Tamron Adaptall 2 Pentax 42mm with caps
Flashhandle
Pentax viewfinder thingie 2x
Near mint bellows of unknown brand
Spotmatic SP
Leather bag
1xPraktica IV M
1xMeyer-optik Görlitz Primotar 50mm 3,5f
1xTokina Wide 3,5f (Still have no clue of focal length)
1xSchneider-Kreuznach Edix-Tele-Xenar 135mm 3,5f
1xFlash Agfatronic 252 C with manuals
2x"sun" filters (dunno if he means UV or ND)
1xSync cable (i believe, he didnt know described as "long cable")
1xExposure meter
+ Some different manuals

thats 110$ . I keep looking for these in the camera listings rather then the lens listings. Although I have my eyes on this atm. Which is aprx 2$ so far. I assume no more then 10$ will come from it.

if looking at this list doesnt make you go "wow" i dont know what will, but thats the state of M42 in Sweden atm (~6skr = 1$).
Tradera.com - Sökresultat för "M42"

The A.Schacht Ulm Travenar and the Helios I bought from the same guy for 4$. The Ulm is a bit buckled at the filter thread, but the helios is very good condition.

Last edited by Zewrak; 05-20-2008 at 08:01 AM.
05-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Add Olympus OM lenses, some contax lenses, NAI nikon lenses and maybe some more to the list and you will have a list of compatibility with cropped Canon bodies. Hope it helps
As far as I understand, the M42 does not let you focus properly to infinity with Nikon nor Canon? And they can't use my beloved SMC-M lenses. And more importantly they wont ever get the stabilized versions of them.

Don't get me wrong, I have stated elsewhere, If i had a unlimited amount of cash I would probably be using a Mark with the lovely Canon teles that are out there. But I can never ever imagine I will, as an amateur, spend 10k on a body and 10-20k on a lense, I got a house and a family too.
05-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I think there are plenty of lenses for Pentax with a good spread of prices. Good glass is never cheap. There is a difference between a $100 lens and a $500 lens of similar specs in the way its built and overall quality. The $100 lens mat be perfectly acceptable to one user but not to another. There are more lenses for Pentax out there from cheapo's to stuff I could never afford that should satisfy anyone. Availability of lenses should never be a reason not to buy a Pentax camera.
05-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #22
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
As far as I understand, the M42 does not let you focus properly to infinity with Nikon nor Canon? And they can't use my beloved SMC-M lenses. And more importantly they wont ever get the stabilized versions of them.

Don't get me wrong, I have stated elsewhere, If i had a unlimited amount of cash I would probably be using a Mark with the lovely Canon teles that are out there. But I can never ever imagine I will, as an amateur, spend 10k on a body and 10-20k on a lense, I got a house and a family too.
No problem. I understand the budget issue. I would only add that the Canon body (EF-s bodies like the rebels or 20-30-40D) with the right adapter DO lets you use M42, adaptalls, OM, some Contax (I think), Pentax K-mount... and allows to focus to infinity. I am not sure about minolta lenses, I think that for those you need a lens adapter with some glass to correct the image. I think that also allows to use Nikon n-AI lenses. On FF bodies, pentax K-mount and some contax lenses can hit the mirror. I have a 40D and I have used a vivitar 90 OM-mount, several pentax K-mount (including the 28mm shift) and a bunch of takumars, without problems. If you buy the right adaptor you can even use the focus confirmation but I passed on these. I think that the same goes for Olympus 4/3 system, and somebody in the forum (little Laker if I am not wrong) can give you some information about compatibility of Sigma dslrs. As Carpents said (and he might give you much more information), the high end Nikons (D200 and above) also accept ultracheap and extremely high quality N-AI and AI lenses. The only thing in terms of compatibility where Pentax wins to Canon-Olympus is on the A lenses.

05-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #23
Veteran Member

No problem. I understand the budget issue. I would only add that the Canon body (EF-s bodies like the rebels or 20-30-40D) with the right adapter DO lets you use M42, adaptalls, OM, some Contax (I think), Pentax K-mount... and allows to focus to infinity. I am not sure about minolta lenses, I think that for those you need a lens adapter with some glass to correct the image. I think that also allows to use Nikon n-AI lenses. On FF bodies, pentax K-mount and some contax lenses can hit the mirror. I have a 40D and I have used a vivitar 90 OM-mount, several pentax K-mount (including the 28mm shift) and a bunch of takumars, without problems. If you buy the right adaptor you can even use the focus confirmation but I passed on these. I think that the same goes for Olympus 4/3 system, and somebody in the forum (little Laker if I am not wrong) can give you some information about compatibility of Sigma dslrs. As Carpents said (and he might give you much more information), the high end Nikons (D200 and above) also accept ultracheap and extremely high quality N-AI and AI lenses. The only thing in terms of compatibility where Pentax wins to Canon-Olympus is on the A lenses.
Intresting, I am considering to buy an Olympus for some additional compability, maybe a Canon 450D instead then, as a second camera to the Kx0D's. By the way, Nikon n-AI lenses appearently mount well on the K10D aswell (without adapter). Read in mflenses forums. Also there are some reversable adaptations that can be made to put on Contax/Yashica on the K10D aswell.

Olympus OM and Nikon-F are also converted.

Anyways, the best option is still for me I think the Pentax and Olympus cameras. However, I do have a sweet spot for Canon aswell, this makes me have to consider it a bit more. I really like that super russian adapter to the Olympus, that swallows almost anything. And the olympus aswell offer stabilization.
05-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #24
Not Registered

I think that Carpents has some tutorial about transforming nikon nAI lenses to K-mount with minor surgery and the el cheapo M42-Kmount adapter that doesnt allow infinity-focusing. It is quite a nice reading. One thing that I like a lot from Pentax is how well designed the menus/functions are. To me they are much better and intuitive than the ones from the 40D and D300.
05-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I think that Carpents has some tutorial about transforming nikon nAI lenses to K-mount with minor surgery and the el cheapo M42-Kmount adapter that doesnt allow infinity-focusing. It is quite a nice reading. One thing that I like a lot from Pentax is how well designed the menus/functions are. To me they are much better and intuitive than the ones from the 40D and D300.
I was acctually picking the K10D over the 40D because it felt more comfortable. Lenses were less of a concern when I went for the Pentax. And the builtin stabilizer ofcourse had its part. And I am happy with the choice now, since I only use manual old lenses. Handholding the tak 200 or 300 without it on the Canon would suck, for me. I am sure alot of people are more steadyhanded then me. But I can't handhold a 200 or 300 without stabilizer.

So no regrets from me so far. And I doubt I will have any later on either. I feel confident in my pick. No matter what gadgets I can or can't have.
05-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #26
Not Registered

This is completely off topic but I was wondering if someone has ever seen an Olympus E-420 with the Bigma. It has to be really something