Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Ed in GA

Rant: Pentax Lens -vs- others.

In addition to this forum, I frequent several others.

One of the things that I constantly see debated is the cost of Pentax lens vs the others.

My rant is.....

Why does this matter?

If you commit to a Camera system, does it matter that the other brands have a lens that, being allegedly the same, cost $100 less or $100 more?

Or that Pentax doesn't have an "85" for $300 while the other brand does?

IMHO, if the system that you have bought into doesn't have what you want, the price you want and the quality you want, get out early. Sell what you have and buy into the system that has what you want.

Don't keep adding to your system and at the same time bitch and moan about what your system doesn't offer.

If the system that you have bought into doesn't have exactly what you want, get and use what it does have and adjust.

Note: and disclaimer.

This rant is not directed towards anyone on the forum. It's just me bitching.

05-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Duly noted!

BTW, I approve of this message.....you are spot on.
05-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
-----8<------[SNIP]
Yes. There are always lenses though. People don't care though to investigate, they care to measure e-peen. People on forums do less photography and more ramblings about gadgets. Don't listen to them. Problem is that there are more nerds with cameras on the interwebs, then there are photographers with computers.
05-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The same thing can also be said about camera bodies, too. All that whining, complaining, and even arguing gets on my nerves. No thanks!

Heather

05-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you don't like the lenses your system offers you can always look at alternate sources, like used, Sigma, Tamron, etc.
I'm always amazed by those people complaining about their over priced lenses, or lack of choice when there are so many alternate choices out there. Often in the size they want.
When you buy a camera you aren't automatically signed into a pro contract, so your sure not limited
05-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will not live to try them all

There are so many lenses that can be mounted on my cameras that I will not live to try them all (and someone obviously keep on designing more). OK, what if some of the best glass are not built any longer, to find them 2nd handed is also not the most boring activity I can think of. Just trying to resist beginning to buy m42 lenses.

But I am a bit anoyd about the problem to to find a set of A able extension tubes and an A and FA+SDM able converter. Now I've done my weening. When I have found them I will enjoy telling the story of how hard I had to work to find them.
05-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
In addition to this forum, I frequent several others.
One of the things that I constantly see debated is the cost of Pentax lens vs the others.
My rant is.....
Why does this matter?
Errr, is this a trick question? It matters because not all of us are made out of money.

QuoteQuote:
If you commit to a Camera system, does it matter that the other brands have a lens that, being allegedly the same, cost $100 less or $100 more?
It sure does if it's that way for every lens.

QuoteQuote:
If the system that you have bought into doesn't have exactly what you want, get and use what it does have and adjust.
Sure, we'd all love to have the Perfect Ideal System For Us. However, every system has its own advantages and disadvantages, so you can't just say "Oh! I'll get the system with only positives! I can't believe I didn't think of that before!"

05-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

This is an interesting discussion...good points have been made. I have dabbled in various systems. Indeed, one should look for a system that suits one's photographic needs. I recently came back to Pentax after being away for a while. I had tried some other brands, but noticed how nice my shots were when shooting Pentax. My other equipment produced good shots, too, but there was just something about some of my better Pentax shots that stood out. Overall, I think Pentax gear is the best value in photograhic equipment--at least in film gear, as I have no interest in digital.

PS: Also, some argue--and rightly so, in my opinion--that not only is Pentax gear an excellent value, but that the older gear (i.e. Takumar lenses) is hard to beat.
05-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

that's why I went with an all m42 (takumar) lineup...sure these are pentax lenses, but I'm in no way committed to a 'system' since I can throw this glass on any brand of body that I feel like.

No fanaticism...just good glass that will last another 50 years.
05-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Not Registered

Bitching, moaning and ranting is free and sometimes is even recommended . I guess that it is in human nature.
05-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

When I was looking at digital cameras, 20 years of seeing first-hand the image quality produced by a Pentax 6x7 made the decision for me.

I have no complaints, nor regrets.

Mike
05-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #12

"Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system." - Bruce Lee
05-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Good quotation from Mr. Lee; perhaps only half the story, however:

"To do good work, one must first have good tools." – Confucius, Analects.
05-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

A.Schacht Ulm Travenar 50mm 2,8f

Chinon Auto 35mm 2,8f
Chinonflex Auto Reflex 100mm 2,8f

Meyer-Görlitz Domiplan 50mm 2,8f
Meyer-Görlitz Primotar 50mm 3,5f
Meyer-Görlitz Orestegor 200mm 4f

Pentacon MC 50mm 1,8f
Pentacon Electric 135mm 2,8f

Pentax SMC-M 28mm 2,8f
Pentax SMC-M 35mm 3,5f
Pentax Super Takumar 35mm 2,8f
Pentax Super Takumar 50mm 1,4f
Pentax Super Takumar 135mm 4f
Pentax SMC-DA 50-200 4-5,6f
Pentax SMC-M 200mm 4f
Pentax S-M-C Takumar 300mm 4f

Schneider-Kreuznach Edix-Tele-Xenar 135mm 3,5f

Sigma DC 18-50 2,8f EX MACRO

Tamron Adaptall-2 28mm 2,5f
Tamron Adaptall 200mm 4,5f

Tokina Wide 17mm 3,5f

Bellows, reverserings, extensiontubes, filters and 2 M42 2x converters, 1 PK 2x converter, 1 PK 1,5x converter.

I'd like to see the a collection on Nikon or Canon that match that list at the same or even near cost of infinity able lenses. Thats what I got and I got my first Pentax 18th of Mars 2008. If not counting the Pentax DA and the Sigma. I suppose I have spent about 400$ on that total.
05-20-2008, 02:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Good quotation from Mr. Lee; perhaps only half the story, however:

"To do good work, one must first have good tools." – Confucius, Analects.
Hi Christine, I am not deliberately opposing you. A chef needs utensils and food to cook a meal. You are quoting it right

Just being as a keen scholar on Confuscious study, I would have to add a comment regarding him.

His good tools referred to principles of "how to be a good person" for the better good of a community where individualism is less favoured (the beginning of utopia concept). Confuscious was also known to be "unemployed" for most of his life time despite his reputation among so many warlords - Confuscious talked about helping the majority of people all his life but ended up contributing little to the people at his time (controversially affecting the consequent history of China).

The student - Yen Huei who he considered to be the best among his pupils turned out to be dead due to starvation in an alley at the age of 33 year old. This was an irony that Confusciosu also said "One with utmost integrity and skills for the good of people would not benefit a society if one cannot contribute".

Both of them had the "tools" but failed to contribute to the people in their time.