Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of good thoughts already, but I'll add a few more. It's hard for me to believe that getting an extended warranty with either of those two lenses is worthwhile. They are good lenses made with a lot of plastic. There is not a lot of moving parts and I can't imagine having a failure with one that I'd want to get repaired. With * lenses or ones with SDM an extended warranty is a good idea.

While I don't own the DA 35, I do own the DA 50. It's been a great lens with the added bonus that it works on my film cameras too. I've been through a number of 50mm lenses and never really liked them, however, the DA 50 for some reason is just a great lens, sure it's not as wide as a 35mm but honestly, I'd pick it over the DA 35. YMMV

10-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Taking account of all comments, the 35mm f2.4 is probably your best choice. If not the best SFL that Pentax offers, it will certainly give better IQ than the 18-55. It is probably the better focal length for general tourist photography. I am exceedingly skeptical of any added-cost warranty, especially one that adds 50 euro to the price. It's exceeding unlikely you'll get return value for that expenditure. I would opt-out of the warranty on new equipment if it is possible to do so.
10-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
At one point, I was in your same position. K-50, kit 18-55, some cheap auto lenses, and the DA 35. I picked up the DA 50 in the Marketplace, and the 35 started collecting dust. I ended up selling the 35, but found over time that the 50 was just too narrow for shooting around the city, or for hiking out on the trails. I took the advice of a few people here in the forum, and started paying close attention to the focal lengths I used on the kit lens. I dd this for a couple of months straight, and found that I shot in the 17-35 range more than anything. I think I was enamored of the DA 50's f/1.8, more than anything else, thinking I would "need" it. To get the best of all worlds (for me) I purchased a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 from the Marketplace. I paid $200 shipped for it a couple months ago, and it's been a great purchase for me. As I've evolved as a shooter, I've found that f/2.8 is plenty fast for what I like to do, and the range suits my needs. I'm going to sell the DA 50 to help recoup some of the dollars spent on the Tamron (I already have a really nice M 50mm f/1.7 that I paid $30 for).

I know that most everybody will say that primes give you better image quality than zooms, and while i agree with that for the most part (far and away, my most used lenses are 90 and 50mm macro primes), the IQ from my Tamron 17-50 is every bit as good as what I've gotten from my DA 35/50. Big step up from the kit 18-55.
10-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I find the DA 35 f/2.4 to not only be much more versatile than my 50 mm (not the DA though), but also have an outstanding image quality.

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 10-24-2014 at 01:56 PM.
10-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much to all for your considerations!
I have read all your posts and there are a lot of good advices that I never imagine (e.g. the 35mm new + a M 50mm second hand or the Tamron 17-50...). I will make a search.

Unfortunately here in Italy prices are much more high than there. It is not about the euro vs. USD but for the taxes.
Here in Italy the official distributor of Pentax is FOWA, they give you always 4 years warranty on every Pentax item (body, lens, flash....), it is a way to make you buy something more expensive because if not everyone would buy items from somewhere else in Europe. There is no way to have the standard warranty if you buy an "italian" item. But if you buy an european one (from Poland, France, UK, Germany or from whatever else) you can pay it less.
For example, from a few years we have Amazon in Italy too, amazon.it , in this moment I could buy SMC-DA, 35 mm, F/2.4 AL, Nero for 142.87 euro and the SMC-DA, 50 mm, F/1.8 for 126.45 euro = total 269.32 shipped. But if I have a problem with the lenses in more than 2 weeks from the purchase, I need to ship them somewhere in europe to an autorized "european warranty" service, with a lot of time to wait and big shipping expenses, at least this is what I have found on internet. Obviously with these price would be great for take both!!! But usually I am very unlucky and very often happens that I buy something that needs warranty services.

About the 40mm XS, price is 380 euro italian and more or less 320 euro european, so it is almost the double amount compared with the 35mm or the 50mm.
Same situation for Tamron 17-50, 390 euro vs. 300 euro (more or less).

I am very confused. Unfortunately I know that photography is expensive so I don't want the impossible for my money, I am just trying to make the "right choice" for my situation!
10-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #21
MSL
Pentaxian

One suggestion (well two). Either take a bunch of photos using the 18-55 of the sorts of things you might want to photograph on your travels (i.e do you prefer outdoor architecture / landscapes) or museum exhibits and analyze which focal length you use most often using ExposurePlot (only works for JPG but that is fine as these photos don't need to be stellar quality), and/or fix the 18-55 at either 35mm or 50mm and tape it in place (using painters tape) and see what it is like to be confined at just that one focal length.
10-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #22

I didn't know about the Italian 4-year-warranty. But I thought it is 2 years by law - anywhere in the EU. You sure that Amazon.it doesn't offer this minimum of warranty? Having to send it further out does sound really annoying!
10-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
One suggestion (well two). Either take a bunch of photos using the 18-55 of the sorts of things you might want to photograph on your travels (i.e do you prefer outdoor architecture / landscapes) or museum exhibits and analyze which focal length you use most often using ExposurePlot (only works for JPG but that is fine as these photos don't need to be stellar quality), and/or fix the 18-55 at either 35mm or 50mm and tape it in place (using painters tape) and see what it is like to be confined at just that one focal length.
I think that this is a good way to understand more, I will try. Thank you

---------- Post added 10-24-14 at 11:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
I didn't know about the Italian 4-year-warranty. But I thought it is 2 years by law - anywhere in the EU. You sure that Amazon.it doesn't offer this minimum of warranty? Having to send it further out does sound really annoying!
There are 2 kinds of warranty:
Factory warranty: provided directly from Pentax (through FOWA), the minimun is 2 years but Pentax in Italy gives 4 years, they will pay for shipping and repair for all the time. This is a way to contrast "european and more cheap" items;
Law warranty: it is 2 years, but if you buy for example from Pentax UK, one year is provided by Pentax UK (through authorized repair center) and the other one is provided by the seller (that usually doesn't want to pay the repair so you finish with lawyers.)

Yes, things really work this way here, for this reason is good to have italian 4 years warranty.

Amazon sells imported items, I don't know from which country of EU, but I am sure (searching over the net) that no one received FOWA 4 years warranty for items received by Amazon, because to activate this warranty you need a card with a serial number that is included in the box of every item.

Last edited by flaviopetrone; 10-24-2014 at 11:45 AM.
10-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Agreed that we are in a better spot price-wise in North America. Sounds like even if you got a good deal on something in the Marketplace, that the good deal wouldn't be so great after taxes/shipping were added on.
10-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Agreed that we are in a better spot price-wise in North America. Sounds like even if you got a good deal on something in the Marketplace, that the good deal wouldn't be so great after taxes/shipping were added on.
Exactly. I bought a F 100-300mm from USA for 60 USD (here the average price is about 100 euro plus shipping). Then 25 USD for shipping, total 85. Still good. But custom here made me pay 15 euro for taxes (about 20 USD). total 105 USD. In the end it was not so great.

So, I decided to go for cheap new here instead of look for great deals that come never so great!
10-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #26

My first thought was mentioned as first reply: go for the 35 2.4 DA and the super sharp 50 1.7 (second hand also in Europe for approx 25 euros). The primes, rather than zooms, require you to think on your composition, and the manual focus of the 50 is a joy (and might improve your thinking of in-focus and out-of-focus).
10-25-2014, 04:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
I think that this is a good way to understand more, I will try. Thank you

---------- Post added 10-24-14 at 11:43 AM ----------

There are 2 kinds of warranty:
Factory warranty: provided directly from Pentax (through FOWA), the minimun is 2 years but Pentax in Italy gives 4 years, they will pay for shipping and repair for all the time. This is a way to contrast "european and more cheap" items;
Law warranty: it is 2 years, but if you buy for example from Pentax UK, one year is provided by Pentax UK (through authorized repair center) and the other one is provided by the seller (that usually doesn't want to pay the repair so you finish with lawyers)
The official pentax seller in the uk (srsmicrosystems) is very very good. You'll have no problems that need lawyers if you purchase from them.

They're currently selling an ex-demo 40mm xs as well, PENTAX SMC DA 40mm f2.8 XS - EX DEMO - UK STOCK - 2 YEAR GTEE 2707511100400 | eBay
10-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I think the 40mm XS should be much cheaper than that. The regular Limited version could be around 400euro, but not the XS. You might want to look at the user marketplace on these forums. No warranty (usually), but lower prices. You might even find someone in Italy or nearby.
And if you are buying new, I doubt you would need warranty. Pentax lenses are pretty good in this regard (except the problems with focus motors - the SDM lenses, but Pentax claims this was fixed now)
10-25-2014, 05:18 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Srs are selling it for ~190 euro with 2 year warranty...
10-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I have both the DA 35 f2.4 and the DA 50 f1.8. Both are very nice. I've ended up using the DA 35 much more because of the focal length. It has been an excellent indoor lens, especially for use in museums w/ no flash.
As others have noted, if you still want a 50mm, the M or A 50 f1.7 would be relatively cheap and are very nice to use.