Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll agree that focusing at/near infinity is sometimes a tight bit (esp with manual lenses).
I have noticed in my particular case that my Sigma 28mm f/2.8 is sharper at distances that. My 18-55mm DAL and my Sigma 18-200mm DC. Mostly, I've found in general that primes are typically sharper than zooms. In my case, the 18-200 isn't all that sharp, but very useful. I'm planning to replace it with a 18-135mm WR, or possibly the new 16-85 'if' it is better optically and macro would be nice.

11-02-2014, 02:49 AM   #17

Original Poster
This weekend I had another go at the same subject with the 35mm Ltd. Slightly different weather conditions, it was more sunny. I tried different techniques as suggested by LensBeginner and here is an example of how it worked, 2.8 left vs. 4.5 right - shot with the Ltd 35mm macro

I think the trick that did it ,was moving the focus ring manually quite far out and then focusing again. I also tried the LiveView as suggested by Luftfluss, worked well too for other subjects when using a tripod; I did not have the tripod with me on this occasion, but I can see how the live view (with magnification) helps now.

So I wanted to thank everyone for posting here
11-02-2014, 04:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Glad to help! Look at those photos, how much detail in each frame! Bet you don't regret buying this lens now
11-02-2014, 06:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mmichalak Quote
This weekend I had another go at the same subject with the 35mm Ltd. Slightly different weather conditions, it was more sunny. I tried different techniques as suggested by LensBeginner and here is an example of how it worked, 2.8 left vs. 4.5 right - shot with the Ltd 35mm macro

I think the trick that did it ,was moving the focus ring manually quite far out and then focusing again. I also tried the LiveView as suggested by Luftfluss, worked well too for other subjects when using a tripod; I did not have the tripod with me on this occasion, but I can see how the live view (with magnification) helps now.

So I wanted to thank everyone for posting here
Yeah, as I said magnification really helps... especially for pixel peeping and critical evaluation of lens performance...
That hint of purple fringing at 2.8 has all but disappeared at f/4.5...

11-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #20

Original Poster
@Na Horuk
Ha! No I definitely do not regret it...! In fact if one thing, I am now thinking when/if I should get a wide limited, but I think this will have to wait a little bit... This 35mm Ltd is very crisp and nice from end to end, and I am looking forward to taking more photos with it.

@LensBeginner
I found that the focusing is super sensitive close to infinity, sub-millimeter moves will blur things up when magnified using the live view. But with a very steady hand, or even better a tripod, it works well...

I did a little bit of more detailed reading re. macro vs. normal lenses, and I can now see what macro lenses are all about. In comparison with the other lenses I have, (kit 18-55, Tamron 18-50, FA50/1.4 and a Sigma 10-20mm), this macro lens is mostly sharp from end to end, there is very little or not at all vignetting at the corners, and the colours are more vivid, with again little fringing.

I don't discount the other lenses at all, but this one seems to be a little bit more 'special'
11-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mmichalak Quote
*snip*

@LensBeginner
I found that the focusing is super sensitive close to infinity, sub-millimeter moves will blur things up when magnified using the live view. But with a very steady hand, or even better a tripod, it works well...

I did a little bit of more detailed reading re. macro vs. normal lenses, and I can now see what macro lenses are all about. In comparison with the other lenses I have, (kit 18-55, Tamron 18-50, FA50/1.4 and a Sigma 10-20mm), this macro lens is mostly sharp from end to end, there is very little or not at all vignetting at the corners, and the colours are more vivid, with again little fringing.

I don't discount the other lenses at all, but this one seems to be a little bit more 'special'
It truly is... however you don't need to be as precise, since you won't be viewing the image from that close...
It's a lot like pixel-peeping!
At any rate, beeing exact at 6x magnification really helps in getting a very sharp image, even when not zooming in (the kind of sharpness you perceive but can't exactly tell why).
11-02-2014, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The DA35 Macro is OK at infinity but if you don't watch it the shots can end up a bit 'flat'. Get close in, that's where it excels - it is a macro after all ...

11-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
The DA35 Macro is OK at infinity but if you don't watch it the shots can end up a bit 'flat'. Get close in, that's where it excels - it is a macro after all ...

Hey that's not flat at all!
An awesome photo...
Post liked.