Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Big lenses: general handling and care question?

I just received my first big lens and its a litttle intimidating. ( Sigma 100-300 f/4 )
A few questions like whats the best way to carry, I mean I don't think you can just let a lens of this size just dangle attatched to the camera around the neck.
I see a lot of people us a monopod vs. tripod, but is that just a preference for type of shooting done? Maybe once one has a technique one can handhold at times.
I guess I am just looking for some tips on safe handling.
Thanks All,
Oren

05-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't let it scare you - it is actually pretty easy to hand hold. I leave the tripod mount on. When you want to shoot, cradle the lens with the palm of your left hand on the tripod mount. The lens and camera combination balance very nicely in this position. You can also reach the zoom collar very easily with the fingers of your left hand while holding the lens in this position. Brace your elbows into your chest and fire away. The shake reduction works very well with this lens.

When I am walking with this lens, I just let it hang from the strap and hold the body of the lens with my left hand.

When I am using the tripod, I just use the quick mount tripod adaptors. I have a Manfrotto 486RC2 tripod head that works great with this lens. I usually hand my camera bag from the tripod for additional stability.

You will be amazed with the quality of this lens.

Tom

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I just received my first big lens and its a litttle intimidating. ( Sigma 100-300 f/4 )
A few questions like whats the best way to carry, I mean I don't think you can just let a lens of this size just dangle attatched to the camera around the neck.
I see a lot of people us a monopod vs. tripod, but is that just a preference for type of shooting done? Maybe once one has a technique one can handhold at times.
I guess I am just looking for some tips on safe handling.
Thanks All,
Oren
05-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although I don't own this lens, I would have to agree with the above. With a big lens, I always have one hand cupping it when walking. I don't like putting to much strain on the mounts. The Bigma tripod collar had a way to attach a strap to the lens directly and I liked that idea. I wish more lenses had that option.
05-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

BlackRapid: Home

watch the intro movie

05-17-2008, 03:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

oooh, daddy like
05-17-2008, 04:39 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
BlackRapid: Home

watch the intro movie
I may have to pick one (or 2) of those up. It seems like they would work really well at weddings when working with 2 bodies...
05-17-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Some people make their own with great success. Personally, I don't think its worth the hassle.

In the end of this thread there is a picture of one selfmade solution that use both the lens and body attachment to stabilize and split the weight on two points.

05-17-2008, 06:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a sigma 70-200F2.8 with a 2x TC. Probably overall the same size ans weight of the 100-300 F4 since both have same diameter elements.

it just hangs from the straps, or from the body with my hand on the grip.

Have the same practice with my 300mm F4 and 1.7x AFTC used it this way for years on my PZ-1 and *istD before moving to K10D.

Anything bigger I would hang from it's own strap, and 300mm F2.8s have this.

For shooting, I have one hand on the zoom ring, one on the camera. Monopods also work well

Never had any issues with any of my cameras.
05-18-2008, 06:27 AM   #9

I also have the Sigma 100-300 f/4 and my preference is definitely to use a monopod. I use it mostly for motorsports, so carrying it around all day is way too much of a pain.
05-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I took the lens out yesterday and found it wasn't the beast I was worried about. It does balance very well. The handhold stuff was good but I'm not as steady as I would like and I know a lot of it is technique. They say practice makes perfect but I will settle for less
I don't have a monopod but I do a tripod. I think I may pick one up for the convenience though.
My concern is the mounting and dismounting and the strain on the body. Thats a lot of money to be holding in ones hand. Anyway a lot of money for me. If I could just win the lottery