Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #1

med cruise

Just bought a K50, and I am very green at this. the Camera came with a DA 18-55 f3.5-5.6. I"m afraid I might have a hard time taking indoor, low lighting photograph where flashes are prohibited. I am contemplating buying an affordable wide angle lens. I'm looking at either the DA 35mm f 2.4, or the DA 50mm 1.8, they are both under $200. Would the 35mm work well in low light to capture inside the Sistine Chapel? The 50mm had a lower f stop but i would have to stand further back. Any suggestions?

10-27-2014, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jc_leblanc Quote
Just bought a K50, and I am very green at this. the Camera came with a DA 18-55 f3.5-5.6. I"m afraid I might have a hard time taking indoor, low lighting photograph where flashes are prohibited. I am contemplating buying an affordable wide angle lens. I'm looking at either the DA 35mm f 2.4, or the DA 50mm 1.8, they are both under $200. Would the 35mm work well in low light to capture inside the Sistine Chapel? The 50mm had a lower f stop but i would have to stand further back. Any suggestions?
Take the camera to a local church and art gallery or any indoor space and use the zoom to frame some images. The k50 has good high ISO performance so I suspect the 35 2.4 is the best choice. But shooting indoors a bit to see the delta between 50 and 35 will help you decide I bet.
10-27-2014, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

The DA 35mm 2.4 has a bit of a narrow field of view.

In my opinion the kit lens at 18mm and f3.5 does more than okay for indoor shooting with only decent lighting. Just set the dial to scene mode and choose sports. It will prioritize a high shutter speed to help minimize motion blur.

If you can spring for it, getting one of the 17-50mm f2.8 zooms in the future would be a natural upgrade, and shouldn't cost much more, and will provide better performance.

E
10-27-2014, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For those who recommend the 17-50 f/2.8 - what are the T-stops on that vs. the 35mm f/2.4 - I don't want to confuse the OP too much but the delta between the 35mm at F/2.4 and the Kit 18-55 at f/3.5 is more than it appears from what I recall - the zoom is typical and has more light loss at f/3.5 than the rather simple 35mm fixed prime at the same f stop. This confusing reality is going to make the 35mm a lot faster than it at first appears.

However the point about 18mm vs. 35mm is well made. I suggested the framing exercise to get a feel for what focal length is likely to be used. I have successfully shot indoors with an 18-135 and the kit 18-55 many times in typical churches - but some are darker than others. Sometimes I have dragged out my faster lenses and been rewarded with shots I couldn't get otherwise.

10-27-2014, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
inside the Sistine Chapel
For the Sistine Chapel just buy the guide book for the images and that will allow you more to just stand in awe looking at all the fine artwork... which is just fabulous.
10-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
For the Sistine Chapel just buy the guide book for the images and that will allow you more to just stand in awe looking at all the fine artwork... which is just fabulous.
Photography is not allowed in there, anyway, but when I last visited it seems no-one worried about using phone cameras...
10-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is good advice above, but the best I can suggest is to acquire some very economical used zooms and explore their focal lengths (fields of view!) until you know what YOU want to use for various situations. Shooting 'at home' with those lenses in mundane locations will give you the experience and confidence to invest in quality lenses that fit your personal style of photography.

Think of those economy zooms as a pocket full of primes and shoot with them at predetermined focal lengths to concentrate the experience. A wide rubber band helps "lock" the zooms at a given FL until you deliberately change it.

It's not the IMAGE quality of the results that's important here, it's learning first hand what the lens perspective does for YOUR vision. This takes a little time and a LOT of patience but pays off big time in the cost of buying lenses that don't work FOR YOU.

10-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #8

Original Poster
I plan on going to local cathedrals and outside monuments, i like the comment about buying the guide book at the Vatican, makes sense. i really don't want to be over burdened with lenses, i have a 70 to 210 and my 18 to 55, I have till may 2015, Ill post some pics of my progress for feedback, thanks for the advise.