Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

FA ltd's vs DA ltd's?

Is the FA 31 as "magical" as they say, or am I better off going after the line of pancake ltd's? (I don't have any 35mm camera's, and I do understand the size benefits with the pancakes. But are the FA ltd's that much better?)

05-16-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beaumont, have you compared the reviews in the lens database?
05-17-2008, 03:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

i had similiar question also.. , anyway im cool with it now

--

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/26475-smc-fa-7...me-league.html
05-17-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't own any of the DA Limiteds yet to compare but I do have a FA 31 Limited and it's, to me, the most unbelievable lens I've ever shot with. It's only weakness is that it's possible to force a bit of PF and I usually have to view at 100% to 200% to really make sure it's there. It's a jewel. It costs an arm and a leg and it's worth it. Flare control is astonishing, I still can't believe it's flare control. Be careful though, it's sharpness will cut deeply:-).
I just had a landscape printed at 16x24 taken with this lens on enhanced matte paper. Notwithstanding composition, subject matter etc etc (it's not for me to say, but I like it), the technical aspects of the picture are mindblowing.

05-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Beaumont, have you compared the reviews in the lens database?
Yes I have, a number of times. I realize the benefits of the DA's over the FA's (ie price, size, designed for digital) as well as differences (ie speed), but I guess the "intangible" is the magic factor. Does the "Magic" make up the differences?
Thx for any feedback...
05-17-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The large prints from Fa limited tend to be better than da limited IMHO. Especially the fa limited images are printed on matt, the magic is quite obvious.

I had some of the scenery shots printed from Da* 16-50 f2.8. They just do not have that interesting overall finish like fa limited.

I guess seeing is believing and no one can justify your purchase until you see it yourself. But you have never used many lenses, you will probably not see that so-called magic...
05-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
i had similiar question also.. , anyway im cool with it now

--

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/26475-smc-fa-7...me-league.html
Fearview, thanks muchly for the links. Very informative.
My take on the feedback is that when comparing the FA77 and DA70, the DA may have the edge. Good to know, considering size, price etc.
However, the "magic" of the 31 sounds to be another story. I look forward to hopefully hearing more feedback on this one...

05-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
I don't own any of the DA Limiteds yet to compare but I do have a FA 31 Limited and it's, to me, the most unbelievable lens I've ever shot with. It's only weakness is that it's possible to force a bit of PF and I usually have to view at 100% to 200% to really make sure it's there. It's a jewel. It costs an arm and a leg and it's worth it. Flare control is astonishing, I still can't believe it's flare control. Be careful though, it's sharpness will cut deeply:-).
I just had a landscape printed at 16x24 taken with this lens on enhanced matte paper. Notwithstanding composition, subject matter etc etc (it's not for me to say, but I like it), the technical aspects of the picture are mindblowing.
Not just "magic" but also "mind blowing". Have also heard it refered to as possibly the nicest lens ever built. Thanks for the feedback (and for delaying my decission lol.)
05-17-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The large prints from Fa limited tend to be better than da limited IMHO. Especially the fa limited images are printed on matt, the magic is quite obvious.

I had some of the scenery shots printed from Da* 16-50 f2.8. They just do not have that interesting overall finish like fa limited.

I guess seeing is believing and no one can justify your purchase until you see it yourself. But you have never used many lenses, you will probably not see that so-called magic...
I just printed a bunch of shots taken out west with my DA* zooms and some shots taken here with my 77ltd, and I was struck by how good the 77ltd shots looked printed - like, there was a noticeable difference. I can't put my finger on what, but the bokeh and specular highlights that look so good in the on-screen image looks even better printed. The sharpness and color/contrast of the DA* 50-135 shots were still there in those prints, it's just that they lacked... something. If I were to think about it a long time, I could probably come up with the actual technical reasons the 77ltd shots looked better, but I'll just take the lazy route - they were more "magic" - and the difference was greater printed than it was on screen.

Here's a 77ltd example that popped so much when printed (warmup after swim/splash lesson

05-17-2008, 07:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I just printed a bunch of shots taken out west with my DA* zooms and some shots taken here with my 77ltd, and I was struck by how good the 77ltd shots looked printed - like, there was a noticeable difference. I can't put my finger on what, but the bokeh and specular highlights that look so good in the on-screen image looks even better printed. The sharpness and color/contrast of the DA* 50-135 shots were still there in those prints, it's just that they lacked... something. If I were to think about it a long time, I could probably come up with the actual technical reasons the 77ltd shots looked better, but I'll just take the lazy route - they were more "magic" - and the difference was greater printed than it was on screen.

Here's a 77ltd example that popped so much when printed (warmup after swim/splash lesson

Wow, very nice. I suspect that pic could be on the little one's mantle 50 years from now...
05-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

even if the DA and FA Limiteds are equal in "magic" at the same apertures, you can bring out even more in the FA Limiteds with their extra speed.
05-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
even if the DA and FA Limiteds are equal in "magic" at the same apertures, you can bring out even more in the FA Limiteds with their extra speed.
Agreed, especially with the FA31 1.8 vs the DA21 3.2 and the DA40 2.8 (but the FA77 1.8 vs the DA70 2.4 advantage is not as significant I'm guessing?)
05-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Agreed, especially with the FA31 1.8 vs the DA21 3.2 and the DA40 2.8 (but the FA77 1.8 vs the DA70 2.4 advantage is not as significant I'm guessing?)
lets not forget the FA 43 ltd with a 1.9 compared to the 2.8 for the DA 40
05-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
this is a great blog piece that i direct people to when people consider the DA70 vs FA77
Digital SLR and Lens Review: By popular demand: Pentax DA 70mm Limited compared to FA 77mm
discussion here: DA 70mm Ltd / FA 77mm Ltd Bokeh Images: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

here's a key quote from the piece tho: "Stopped at f/2.4, the FA 77 seems to expose about 1/3 stop faster than the DA 70 set to the same aperture and the DOF is narrower, which makes me think that the DA 70 is closer to f/2.8 than the claimed f/2.4 wide open."

there have also been remarks online where peopel say that the DA70 is slightly shorter than 70mm and the FA77 is slightly longer than 77mm making the focal length difference more dramatic (can't remember the source sorry)
05-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
this is a great blog piece that i direct people to when people consider the DA70 vs FA77
Digital SLR and Lens Review: By popular demand: Pentax DA 70mm Limited compared to FA 77mm
discussion here: DA 70mm Ltd / FA 77mm Ltd Bokeh Images: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

here's a key quote from the piece tho: "Stopped at f/2.4, the FA 77 seems to expose about 1/3 stop faster than the DA 70 set to the same aperture and the DOF is narrower, which makes me think that the DA 70 is closer to f/2.8 than the claimed f/2.4 wide open."

there have also been remarks online where peopel say that the DA70 is slightly shorter than 70mm and the FA77 is slightly longer than 77mm making the focal length difference more dramatic (can't remember the source sorry)
My appolgies to everyone. I've been going through previous threads for a good portion of the evening and clearly this subject has been covered off time and time again. Thanks to those who responded though... (Time for me to get a DA 70 and a FA31 I think...)