Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

My plan for lens domination - Now if only Pentax would hurry it up!

*Disclaimer -- I'm just thinking aloud, you won't find any earth-shattering revelations, or questions. You might not even find coherent English within

I think I have concocted The Ultimate Plan [tm] as far as my lens purchasing roadmap goes. Right now I have the 18-55 II kit and the Tamron 70-300, but I'm limiting the Tamron to macro duties, as it's too soft past 200mm or so for my tastes.

-------

Short-to-mid:

DA 17-70 F/4.0 AL SDM IF

I really, really really hope thing lens ends up being "the awesomeness". I've been wanting a short-to-medium zoom for a while, but so far reviews of 3rd party lenses say they're too soft on the borders and you have to stop down (of course, they're f/2.8 so stopping to f/4 sorta negates this argument).

This lens, though, is SDM, which IIRC the Sigma version for Pentax isn't.

I really wish this had weather sealing, as I understand only the DA* lenses do...or am I mistaken?

/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Mid-to-long:

DA* 60-250 f/4 ED IF SDM

Assuming this thing costs somewhere in the ballpark of rhte 50-135, this second lens basically covers the rest of my needs, which is mid to telephoto. I can't wait for the reviews to start hitting!
SDM, weather sealing, (hopefully) DA* quality wide open at any range.
------
------

Now if "Summer 2008" would happen. Here's hoping the reviews are favorable, as I see these two lenses covering pretty much my entire intended shooting range.

Anyone else have similar plans, or see a flaw in this one? As I see it, I'm covered from 17 to 250mm with (hopefully) quality glass with only a 10mm overlap.

05-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
*Disclaimer -- I'm just thinking aloud, you won't find any earth-shattering revelations, or questions. You might not even find coherent English within

I think I have concocted The Ultimate Plan [tm] as far as my lens purchasing roadmap goes.

-------

Short-to-mid:

DA 17-70 F/4.0 AL SDM IF

I really, really really hope thing lens ends up being "the awesomeness". I've been wanting a short-to-medium zoom for a while, but so far reviews of 3rd party lenses say they're too soft on the borders and you have to stop down (of course, they're f/2.8 so stopping to f/4 sorta negates this argument).

This lens, though, is SDM, which IIRC the Sigma version for Pentax isn't.

I really wish this had weather sealing, as I understand only the DA* lenses do...or am I mistaken?

/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Mid-to-long:

DA* 60-250 f/4 ED IF SDM

Assuming this thing costs somewhere in the ballpark of rhte 50-135, this second lens basically covers the rest of my needs, which is mid to telephoto. I can't wait for the reviews to start hitting!
SDM, weather sealing, (hopefully) DA* quality wide open at any range.
------
------

Now if "Summer 2008" would happen. Here's hoping the reviews are favorable, as I see these two lenses covering pretty much my entire intended shooting range.

Anyone else have similar plans, or see a flaw in this one? As I see it, I'm covered from 17 to 250mm with (hopefully) quality glass with only a 10mm overlap.

Sprinkle some inexpensive-but-great SMC-M's in there for when you're feeling the creative urge, and that becomes a brilliant plan that will lead to lens dominance in short order.
05-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yup I to am waiting ( as best as I can ) for both those lenses to. Now I hope summer means june or July.
05-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No matter how much you want to dominate. I am sorry to say, there will always be someone that comes along to see your zooms and raise you a prime.

Weathersealing can be achieved with plasticbags.

05-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
No matter how much you want to dominate. I am sorry to say, there will always be someone that comes along to see your zooms and raise you a prime
Technical quality, sure. But you know what's great? I'm not a prime shooter.

----

WARNING: The following statement may brand me as a heretic:

As I matter of fact, I pretty much hate shooting with primes. That's right...I said it.

My rental FA 50mm taught me this, so I'm glad I didn't outright buy it. It's probably because I'm just really too lazy to foot zoom. I always make small tweaks to my composition and in many situations I just don't have to room / clearance to do it with a prime.

Now, this doesn't mean I don't like prime pictures -- that FA50mm creates some beautiful images, and the DA* 300mm samples posted make me wish I had a lot more disposable income...but I just don't like being locked into one range.

------

To me (that means, "in my opinion", before someone argues), primes are the "specialty" lenses. I could never consider a prime a walkaround lens, which is what I'm looking for -- two walk arounds, actually, to photograph everything from a wide angle city street corner to zooming in and watching some guy pick his nose on the courthouse steps.

Eventually, my shooting may evolve, and perhaps I will see myself focusing on photo outings with specific purposes, like landscape / cityscapes, all macros, people-pictures, etc. but for now I'm just not that kinda shooter! One day I fancy going birding, the next I'll go photograph cars. Some days are macro florals, others might be indoor goofy sports shooting with friends.

So, it really doesn't bother me that yes, a prime is going to give more resolution and generally faster performance, because I'll have (almost) all I want in two lenses....that's assuming, of course, these upcoming lenses output satisfactory resolutions and perform adequately in the lighting settings I want.

If I ever move into darker settings, I think f/4 is going to be way too slow, and I my find myself picking up a fast prime or at least a f/2.8 zoom.
05-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hehe I get you. And don't take my last post too serious. Infact I was of the same opinion as yourself. I had some wideangle primes and still used the zooms more. Then one day I got a 150mm. And after that, I have not once used a zoom. I rarely use the wideangles either.

Get hold of a used 150 lense and walk around with it for one day and you will be hooked. Seriously. I now have three lenses that I use. 150 for portraits and everyday walks. 200 for walks in the forests, incase of wildlife and the 300mm for when going on picnics and I expect to see wildlife a bit further away.

I acctually only miss a good macro lens. I do have 28, 35, 50, 58, 85, 135 covered too, but I don't feel a need for them. Sure I will bring them when I go to a city or indoors at a party etc. But for my everyday shooting, 150mm is ace.

Now my Sigma 18-50 EX MACRO and DA 50-200 sits in a shelve and serve no purpose, I don't want to put them on the camera anymore, they bore me and they sound awful when I focus.

And ofcourse its yours and my opinions, who elses would it be?
05-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hrm, I don't think you'll sell me on a prime, but I did just realize something else --- My bokeh isn't going to be that great with f/4.0

Hrm....back to the drawing board!
05-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am afraid you are coming up short

No pun intended but I don't see any long glass. domination means the whole range, but you are limited tp 250mm?

05-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am afraid you are coming up short

No pun intended but I don't see any long glass. domination means the whole range, but you are limited tp 250mm?
Well, I was referring to the domination of my LBA , not of anyone else's lens roster.
05-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

i have read here that somebody ( but i forgot who..) recomendee this also

Tamron AF17-50mm F/2.8 Di-II LD Aspherical

05-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
i have read here that somebody ( but i forgot who..) recomendee this also

Tamron AF17-50mm F/2.8 Di-II LD Aspherical

Well I can recommend you the Sigma 18-50 EX MACRO aswell. But if your going for keepers, I'd stick with the weathersealed HSM Pentax lenses.