Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The term walkaround is loosely defined... as I can use any zoom or prime lens. At the moment or lately, my Auto-Topcor 58f1.4 is my goto walkaround lens - sharp wide-open and nice bokeh.

11-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cecanima Quote
I was thinking about the Super Tak 35mm f3.5 and as it can come cheap, it may be a good combo with the sigma 10-20. That sounds like a compromise solution answering the question that started this thread...
I have that lens, and it is a very nice performer (hard to beat for the price). It is very small and compact, and somehow feels right as a walk-around lens. It has the same optical formula as the lauded K35/3.5, too, but it is much cheeper (presuming you already have the M42 adaptor). I tend to think that it's not worth springing the extra for the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar over the Super Takumar, as the lens is only five elements, and the front element on the S-M-C did not actually have the SMC coatings anyway (evidently due to how convex it was). If you have any further questions about the Super Tak, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to answer.
11-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
For a walkaround lens, most would consider a 17-70mm, the new DA 16-85mm, the DA18-135mm or a 18-250mm. Your focal length (10-20 or 35) range appears to be biased towards the low end while you have already a 28-200mm.

Usually a prime is not often considered as a walkaround lens, although many argue that the FA31mm is a perfect walkaround prime.
Count me among those "many." The FA31 on a K3 gives so much room for cropping that I find it more versatile than many zooms. Before I had the FA31, the FA35 worked pretty well, too. I may carry a DA 17-70, DA*16-50 or even a kit lens as well, but it seems like the prime is there more.
11-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Count me among those "many." The FA31 on a K3 gives so much room for cropping that I find it more versatile than many zooms. Before I had the FA31, the FA35 worked pretty well, too. I may carry a DA 17-70, DA*16-50 or even a kit lens as well, but it seems like the prime is there more.
One of the main reasons for people choose FA31 or FA35 as walk-around, as in APS-C body, it is around 50mm focus length and very close to what our eyes see. As FA31 will precisely capture what we watch, it definitely serves a walk-around lens well.

11-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
One of the main reasons for people choose FA31 or FA35 as walk-around, as in APS-C body, it is around 50mm focus length and very close to what our eyes see. As FA31 will precisely capture what we watch, it definitely serves a walk-around lens well.
For me, it is a little wider than that. Possibly, that is because at the time I cut my SLR teeth, a "normal" lens on a Pentax was 55mm.