Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Kiron 24mm f2 and 28mm f2. Yay or nay?

They're great lenses, when they work. They have the floating element, so the 3D effect is there. They're sharp enough wide open.

But... everybody says if the blades haven't failed yet, they will. Not only do they get oily, they seem to collapse as well, for no reason.

So. Is it worth taking a chance on it, or is it just better to save a little more for a better lens like the DA 21 Limited?

Last edited by ChristianRock; 10-31-2014 at 09:04 AM.
10-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It depends on which version it think. There were 3 different Vivitar versions of the 28 and then the Kiron.

Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary: Details

And then Kiron made one with the A setting as well I think.

I have the earliest version with the long mount flange. I haven't cut it off yet (and the screws are stripped), so I can't use it on my DSLRs.
10-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Depends on the price, I might take a chance.
My copy is still good after many years, no sign of problem. Both are sharp. Color rending is somewhat cooler than smc.

28/2: This was my preferred 28mm until I got the pentax K 28/2, and almost never use it any more.
24/2: Still get used from time to time. I don't have FA24/2, that because the wide open resolution is not as good as Kiron 24/2. At f2.8, I am ok with the K 24/2.8.

There are several 24mm lenses adaptable to pentax K mount which is better than the Kiron at both f2 and f2.8.
The Olympus OM 24/2.8 MC and OM 24/2 for instance.
10-31-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

My 28 f2 Vivitar is #12 on the Bestiary. It does not have oily blades, and at its current age I expect it will not appear later Other than some stylish flare it works great, but a 20-40 has moved in to steal its on-camera time...

10-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So there's a long flange issue that prevents it from being used with my DSLRs as well?

Maybe I'll just get the Sigma Superwide.

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
There are several 24mm lenses adaptable to pentax K mount which is better than the Kiron at both f2 and f2.8.
I would be interested in this - except I can't do it myself, and I imagine by the time I pay someone to do it I'd be out the price of a used DA 21...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 10-31-2014 at 10:22 AM.
10-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I've trimmed & repainted the flange on mine so no issue there, a few minutes with hack-saw and spray paint did the trick.
FYI this is it..
10-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I look at the 24/2.0 as a special purpose "environmental portrait" lens. My copy has oily blades, so I just removed the auto aperture spring (easy) and now it's a manual aperture lens. No biggie, since it's used wide open most of the time anyway. It will reliably close to 5.6, sometimes 8, depending on the temperature ..for daytime use, lol.
It has a really unique character wide open with lots of "glow" and aberrations, but that's the charm - sharp center with beautiful periphery! Just don't use this lens wide open expecting great results in all situations.

10-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the Kiron 24mm f2 is worth it. I fixed my blades and have seen no recurrence in 5 years. It's sharp enough at wide apertures. It stays sharper than my Sigma Superwide II until maybe f5.6 but that's more of a test-chart sharpness, both are perfectly usable. The focal length is more interesting and there are fewer good 24mm lenses to choose from, plus it opens to f2, plus it's still a reasonable size.

The 28mm is a good lens, still quite sharp compared to other legacy lenses, but competition at 28mm is much stronger. You can have almost any feature that's important to you at lots of price points, so if you want to relax about oily blades, get something else.
10-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As I suspected, people who own this lens for the most part are the people who like to tinkle with it. The only lens I ever attempted to open was an old fungus-ridden M50/2 that is now inoperable. Even though I only opened the back, even the filter ring doesn't move anymore... and the blades only close down to f/4, though I didn't touch the iris at all... but that's what happens when you get me to try to fix anything, just ask my wife

There's a 24mm f2 Vivitar at KEH right now for a great price (I think). You who have the ability to fix lenses go ahead and buy it. I'll pass
10-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So there's a long flange issue that prevents it from being used with my DSLRs as well?

Maybe I'll just get the Sigma Superwide.

I would be interested in this - except I can't do it myself, and I imagine by the time I pay someone to do it I'd be out the price of a used DA 21...
The long flange is only an issue with the first version.

Adapting an Olympus to Pentax isn't all that difficult using the Leitax replacement bayonet. It requires the removal of 3 screws and then installing a wire at the aperture lever. Or you can use the Adaptist Multimount on the camera.
10-31-2014, 01:40 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Long ago I bought a Vivtiar (Kiron) 24/2 on eBay for what I thought was a steal. At f/2 it had the sticky blades but not at smaller apertures. IIRC I sold it locally describing the issue and got back just about what I paid - but I've never gone back to that well.
10-31-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Adapting an Olympus to Pentax isn't all that difficult using the Leitax replacement bayonet. It requires the removal of 3 screws and then installing a wire at the aperture lever. Or you can use the Adaptist Multimount on the camera.
I bought a set of Leitax mount and swap it on the OM lens.
An easy process. The mount set lets me try all OM lenses I have.
Later when I got the sony a7r, I have no need to swap mount.

I haven't try the multi mount yet.
11-01-2014, 02:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How does a floating element causes a 3D effect? I am legitimately curious, not doubting that.
11-01-2014, 05:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

go for the 21mm.....no worries....no doubts....no regrets great lens
11-01-2014, 06:12 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
How does a floating element causes a 3D effect? I am legitimately curious, not doubting that.
No idea how it works... But it's there in the Zeiss and Pentax 28/2... And some other Zeiss as well. The Kiron 28/2 and 24/2 seems to have a bit of it, though since the color and contrast aren't in the same league, you can't say they're nearly as good... But I seem to be able to see it.