Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also have both, and much prefer the DA21, for the reason already mentioned above. It's smaller, faster, gives better close ups, has better corners and a more versatile angle of view. The starbursts are just as good, but the flare resistance is not quite to the same lofty standard as the DA15.

It goes OK for landscapes....

Environmental portraits:

Starbursts:

Close ups (and bokeh):

Even hand-held selfies :-)

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 11-01-2014 at 03:09 PM.
11-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by sirEstragon Quote
I'm thinking about buying a DA15mm (HD or SMC) OR a DA21mm (HD or SMC)... I saw some thread about it, but none have fully answered... I guess that in the end it's a personnal question, but on flickr I seems to like more pics from DA15mm than the DA21mm
My goal is to have a lens suitable mostly for landscape, familly, travel, artistic, all around

DA21
a lot cheaper on used market
seems to be (more) polyvalent
but seems to be more liked by street photographer wich I'm not...
the landscape photos I saw from it seems les vivid, crisp, and alive than those with the 15mm
does the HD version worth to buy it new?

DA15
expensive new and used
but it look more like what I'm expecting from the lens I'm looking for.. I really like the dramatic effect of it...
seem less polyvalent, but it is still the lens I seems to prefer (from what I red)
I'm also concern about it's border IQ... I'm quite picky about IQ

you can see the kind of photos I'm doing here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/79055848@N05/

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/275895-introduc...#ixzz3HpITVyzN
I don't have any experience with the DA21, though I did go through a huge amount of soul-searching and bought the DA15 pretty much on faith. It wasn't a length I was at all familiar with, and it was a bit over my budget, but more of the shots I've seen taken with it here have some type of "Wow!" faction, over most of the DA21's shots (which always look a little "flat" to me, for some reason).

I've had it for over a year now, and I will still admit that it is a better lens than me. When you get everything dialed in, it is a beast of a lens. Its center sharpness is pretty beastly (it compares with my FA100 Macro), the corners get a bit soft and 2D when opened up, though. Controlling exposures can be a bit of a pain, since you get so much coverage, its hard to keep things in line and not blown out or pure black. I don't have an issue with this, since I view the 15 as a "character" lens, and not a "workaday" lens. If it was a person, it would wear a turtle-neck and beret. I probably wouldn't use it as a walk-around lens, though, oddly, I find it on my camera more than all my other lenses combined. The 15mm is addictive, if nothing else.

That said, while I haven't used the DA21, I find that length to be more useful, or at least I do with my 24mm.

That said, looking at Sandy Hancock's pictures almost makes me want to get the DA21 instead of the other two limiteds in my LBA queue (The 35 or the 70). How close were there closeups?
11-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #18

Original Poster
nice pic sandy... more like what I'm expecting from a ltd lens... I must admit that I agree with omestes since I do find most of what I see from the DA21 a little flat compared with the DA15... but as many mentioned, the DA21 is a lot more versatile which might be the key in my case... I don't like to change lens to often...
11-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have the HD 21 and the da 14. The 21 is just brilliant as a daytime lens, beautiful colours, not to wide, and even great close focus. The Hd version is worth it over the SMC version due to less CA and more contrast / flare resistance. The SMC 15 is better than the HD version due to starburst and its already amazing flare resistance. Based on my use of the the 14 though you really need big landscapes or love perspective distortion.

11-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #20

Original Poster
omestes: I own both of the lens your looking for, even if you didn't ask, I give you my thought about it both are great lens, the DA70 is more versatile and is 70% of time on my K5 II, but the DA35 macro is outstanding for macro and for shots from 5cm to 2m... after 2m away, it's not bad, but not it's speciality...
the DA70mm is also stunning for it sharpness, but for close up you can't beat the DA35 macro! it resolving power is truly amazing!
11-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by sirEstragon Quote
omestes: I own both of the lens your looking for, even if you didn't ask, I give you my thought about it both are great lens, the DA70 is more versatile and is 70% of time on my K5 II, but the DA35 macro is outstanding for macro and for shots from 5cm to 2m... after 2m away, it's not bad, but not it's speciality...
the DA70mm is also stunning for it sharpness, but for close up you can't beat the DA35 macro! it resolving power is truly amazing!
Not to thread-jack, but thanks for the input SirEstragon! I'm leaning towards the 70, since I have the DA L 35, and barely use it (the FL is just kind a meh, not long enough, not short enough.). I mostly want it for a walk around Macro, I thought about one of the 50 Macros, but it wouldn't compete with the 50 1.7. Though both the 35 and 70 have the same sort of "Wow" pictures as the 15 does.
11-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Omestes Quote
How close were there closeups?
Pretty close to minimum focal distance, which is about 20cm (8")

And on the subject of DA35 macro vs DA70 - although the 70 is superb, I would suggest saving up for the magical FA77 instead, and go for the macro now. It is such a versatile lens, and it is simply incomparable as a genuine macro in the "normal" range for APS-C.

If you like close-ups, you will get better magnification with the DA21 at MFD than you can with the DA70 at MFD:

DA21 MFD

DA70 MFD

The DA70 looks totally badass on the Q though

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 11-02-2014 at 01:58 AM.
11-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sandy, that's a great set. thanks for sharing!

and i still havent figured out how to link flickr images as clickable thumbnails like you did here.
11-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
DA21 MFD

DA70 MFD

The DA70 looks totally badass on the Q though
The 77 is pretty far out of my grasp (or so says my girlfriend). That closeup with the 21 is very nice, but the 70 seems to have a bit more "pop" in the colors. I have a feeling my choice is going to boil down to what is cheapest, what I've been shooting lately, and the alignment of the heavens. I'm currently trying to just shoot on my 35 2.4, ignoring the 40 ltd which usually does its job, just to see if I can get into that length...

To go more on topic... From what I've seen and heard, you really can't go wrong with limiteds. Whichever lens you pick, will probably make you happy, and will take some very nice shots. If I could find a 21 for the right price, and it didn't compete with my 24 (Sigma Superwide 24, MF... beautiful colors, hates the sun with a passion), I'd grab one in a heart beat.
11-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Sandy, that's a great set. thanks for sharing!

and i still havent figured out how to link flickr images as clickable thumbnails like you did here.
Coming from you Mike I feel unworthy of such praise. Thank you.

Linking from flickr is pretty easy. Click on the share icon in the bottom right of the image and choose the BB code in the size you want. These are "small" at 320 on the long side. I then manually edit out all the rubbish code (the bit with the by line and the "on flickr") and in these cases the images' titles as well.
11-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Coming from you Mike I feel unworthy of such praise. Thank you.

Linking from flickr is pretty easy. Click on the share icon in the bottom right of the image and choose the BB code in the size you want. These are "small" at 320 on the long side. I then manually edit out all the rubbish code (the bit with the by line and the "on flickr") and in these cases the images' titles as well.
thanks for this. i've already tried it and it worked!
11-02-2014, 04:14 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you should choose based on focal length that works best for you. The 15 is a nice lens, but it is pretty much only a landscape lens. It just isn't great to use indoors, because it is slow and edges aren't sharp till at least f5.6. But if you want a wide lens for landscapes, I don't think you can beat it.
11-02-2014, 05:28 AM   #28

Darn it I deleted my post by accident so I have to redo it. (Dictatation on iPhone 6+ makes it easy). The DA 12-24 distribution for 2014 photos are as follows.
I've taken 875 shots:
12mm 322
14mm 27
15MM 29
16Mm 15
18MM 51
19MM 30
21MM 66
24MM 335

I've taken 79 shots with 18-135 which I've only had for a month but only 3 were taken at 21mm, 14 @18mm.
I've taken 763 shots with the DA 15 mm SMC Version.
200 with the 21 mm.
I will take my SMC 15 mm to the grave. Da21 doesn't offer enough extra benefit when carrying the 12-24 although I still prefer to carry the 21 as it barely fits in my bag with all my other lenses. I do need its low light possibilities comparative to other lenses. I love the portability, looks and handling. It's also better than the DA 12-24 in flare control, sharper right off the bat at f3.2, and starbursts look better. I've been meaning to sell though and this confirms my thinking. Please let me know if you would like to buy it.

Last edited by airjames; 11-02-2014 at 05:57 AM.
11-02-2014, 05:38 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by airjames Quote
Darn it I deleted my post by accident so I have to redo it. (Dictatation on iPhone 6+ makes it easy). In summary, the DA 12-24 and distribution for 2014 photos are as follows.
I've taken 875 shots:
12 mm 322
14 mm 27
15 MM 29
16 Mm 15
18 MM 51
19 MM 30
21 MM 66
24 MM 335
I've taken 79 shots with 18-135 which I've only had for a month. I've taken 763 shots with the DA 15 mm SMC Version and 200 with the 21 mm.
I will take my SMC 15 mm to the grave. Da21 offers no extra benefit when carrying the 12-24 although I still prefer to carry that 21 as if it's in my bag with all my other lenses. I do need its low light possibilities comparative to other lenses, portability, looks and handling. I've been meaning to sell though and this confirms my thinking. Please let me know if you would like to buy it.
Da 12-24 is indeed very versatile for landscape.
11-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go with the 21 and don'r look back.
QuoteOriginally posted by Omestes Quote
The 77 is pretty far out of my grasp...
Christmas is almost here. Put out the word... you might get some help...
QuoteQuote:
(or so says my girlfriend)...
Time for a new gf...?

Cheers...M