Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How should I check my DA 15?

Typical Melbourne spring day yesterday: overcast punctuated by alternate patches of brilliant sunshine and frigid violent squalls. I was walking around Albert Park (the venue for the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix at the end of summer but inhabited by people walking or running around the lake or playing various sports for the rest of the year) taking a few pictures. As I was putting my gear back in the car to leave, a squall hit, ripping a couple of cotton grocery bags from the boot (i.e., "trunk" to Americans) and sending them scurrying across the grass. I took off in pursuit, with my partially open camera bag bouncing on my back. Having retrieved the bags, I set off for home. Once there though, I noticed my DA 15 was missing!! My mind flashed back to the episode at Albert Park, and I guessed that it had jumped out in that wild few seconds. So back I went in forlorn hope that it might still be there (2 hours later) ... and it was! Just lying on a grassy hill, seemingly none the worse for wear. What a relief.

Nevertheless, it endured at least one bout of heavy rain. I have held it up to the light and looked through both ends with the aperture wide open (which isn't physically very wide on the DA 15) and can't see any sign of moisture, even with a magnifying glass. So, after that long background story:
  1. What is the best way to inspect a lens for moisture? What should I look for?
  2. How should I treat it, just in case? Put it in a warm place?

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 11-01-2014 at 02:03 PM.
11-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

put it in a sealed container with rice (wrap the lens). rice will absorbe the moisture. if you have silica pcakages (those you find in shoe boxes) it will work too.
you should feel very lucky!
11-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would've panicked!

I don't think the lens needs to be kept "warm", just out in the open in your home so any moisture would naturally evaporate.

If your home is humid, you could keep the lens in a sealed container with rice or some kind of desiccant (like those little silica gel packets) to absorb the moisture.

edit: sergysergy beat me to it, lol. Great minds think alike!
11-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you recovered your lens.

First dry your lens as quickley as possible.

Put your lens is a dry place for 24 h. For example, in an air-con room, a room with dehumidifier. Alternately, place it in a bowl with dry rice fro 24 h.

Another option is to put the lens in the sun for 2-3 h. Our Australian sun is very hot and will dry any electronics in 2-3 h.

Then given a thorough inspection of the lens. Any sign of vapour, droplet.... That what you want to look for.

Hope that the comment will help.

11-01-2014, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

thank goodness. I am betting you'll be fine.
My DA15 took a wave smack straight on and some seawater entered. i blotted the water that seeped out over several hours and was pleased to find the lens works just fine, now a couple years later. it is a tough little devil.

let me find that pic:

11-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The rice / silica pack suggestions should do the trick.

I have to admit, I got a guilty pleasure reading your post, as I visualized a potentially awesome commercial built on your episode.
Would make a perfect 30 second ad for a WR lens, (even if yours wasn't).
11-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I have to admit, I got a guilty pleasure reading your post, as I visualized a potentially awesome commercial built on your episode.
Would make a perfect 30 second ad for a WR lens, (even if yours wasn't).
Glad my word picture struck a chord.

11-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
edit: Sergysergy beat me to it, lol. Great minds think alike!
:d :d :d
11-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Glad my word picture struck a chord.
I certainly didn't mean to cause offense . I am glad you're lens was both found and found to be OK.
I've felt that panic before and it's never fun in the moment even if it makes for lively telling after the
fact.
11-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I certainly didn't mean to cause offense . I am glad you're lens was both found and found to be OK.
I've felt that panic before and it's never fun in the moment even if it makes for lively telling after the
fact.
No offense taken. I know it's funny when viewed in hindsight.