Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 05:06 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 40 in Ltd or XS guise is so small that it doesn't count. So get the 21 and the 40! I keep my 40XS in one of these cases from Radio Shack. Perfect fit! AUVIO Zippered Earbuds Case : Headphones | RadioShack.com

11-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It shocks me how dim everyone is being today. You obviously should get them both. ��
11-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #18
Forum Member

If I can only take one lens around a city and I want a small profile; the 21mm always gets the nod. It's almost wide enough for most buildings and environments, and more than pretty decent for people. Plus your camera will handle like a dream. If I have a jacket or cargo pants on, then I will carry the 43ltd too.
11-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
So, I've been thinking about getting a pancake lens-- it would be really nice to to throw my K-3 in my purse and just take it everywhere with me.*

I'm not sure whether I would be better off with the 21mm or the 40mm, though. I tend more towards landscapes and buildings, and less towards people and flowers. It would still be nice to have versatility, though. The lens I use the most is the 31mm, which handles everything with grace. I also have the 15mm already, which is small enough for the purse treatment. It's terrible for portraits, though, unless everyone wants a giant nose

Any thoughts? Do I want the 21mm, the 40mm, or something else entirely?

*Notice how this thought ended up at "I need another lens," not "I need a bigger purse"? This is the way things should be, right? Right? My own flimsy justification is that if you have a purse that's too big, some places will make you surrender it, and then you don't have the camera, so that's no good...
Or if you got a bigger purse you'd be tempted to pack a zoom

11-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the DA15 and FA43 plus some zooms. You're correct about the 15 being no good for people (although it is a wonderful lens). The 43 can be a fine portrait lens and is my favorite lens but I often find it too long for all-around use. When I'm using my zooms, they are nearly always set at 21 to 24 so I would recommend the 21. I would get it myself but the price seems to have crept up a bit to where it seems over priced. When I bought my 43 it was around twice the price as the 21. I'll pick up a 21 when I come across a nice local used unit. I hope that helps.
11-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I have a 15, 21, 40 and 70 Limited primes.

I have found that once I brought the 15 I haven't used the 21 that much. It is a very nice small lens, but I just find the 15 better for landscapes.

Further to what Matt has posted - the 15, 40 and 70 make a very good small 3 prime kit. You wouldn't loose much with a 21, 40, 70 kit either, which would be even smaller
I'm adding a 70 this week to complete that kit!
11-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
It shocks me how dim everyone is being today. You obviously should get them both. ��
But I keep DOING this and then I have no money! It's bad! Make it stop!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Doh! I didn't check his profile.
Purse? Dude, I'm a girl!

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
I have the DA15 and FA43 plus some zooms. You're correct about the 15 being no good for people (although it is a wonderful lens). The 43 can be a fine portrait lens and is my favorite lens but I often find it too long for all-around use. When I'm using my zooms, they are nearly always set at 21 to 24 so I would recommend the 21. I would get it myself but the price seems to have crept up a bit to where it seems over priced. When I bought my 43 it was around twice the price as the 21. I'll pick up a 21 when I come across a nice local used unit. I hope that helps.
Hmm, maybe carrying the 40 and the 15 would be the way to go, then. Or maybe I should just take one of my zooms out for a couple of days and see how well I do with it only set to 21, and then only set to 40.

11-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #23
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm, maybe carrying the 40 and the 15 would be the way to go, then. Or maybe I should just take one of my zooms out for a couple of days and see how well I do with it only set to 21, and then only set to 40.
15+40 would be a very nice combination. But trying out how you like each focal length on a zoom is definitely worth doing. We all shoot in different ways and thus like different focal lengths.

Umm, but yeah, 21+40 would be a great combo, too
11-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Purse? Dude, I'm a girl!
My bad. I didn't pick up on the "purse" nuance. I guess it's one of the problems with hiding behind pseudonyms on internet forums. Even using my real name I frequently get mistaken for a woman