Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 01:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Changing from DA 10-17 fisheye to Sigma 15mm Fisheye ???

I have been thinking about getting another fisheye specially because most of my fisheye shoots are nightshoots so i would like to have something faster than the f3.5 that the Pentax fisheye have.. also most of my shots with the DA 10-17 are at 10mm, actually i cant remember when was the last time that i move it from 10mm, so i dont need something longer than around 10/15mm.. basically i need something WIDE and fast.. i was considering the Sigma 10mm f2.8 that should behave almost the same as the 10-17 but with an f2.8 insted of f3.5... but then i was thinking that IF pentax releases a full frame camera soon (wich looks like they will ) the Sigma 10mm wont work for me, so i'll need to switch to something else, the Sigma f2.8 15mm on the other hand works with FF and will give me the same focal lenght as the 10mm in APS-C..

So.. my question is, have somebody around here use both lenses?? is the 15mm worth it?? i saw the lens review at this forum and it looks like is a really sharp and really good with AF, but what are other user experiences??

11-04-2014, 01:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Let me see if I understand, you have the 10-17 and never use it on 15mm and yet you want to buy a 15mm FE? If you want a FF FE you can get the Sigma 15 with a matching body but it will not fit your K-3.

I own neither lens btw
11-04-2014, 03:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd have thought that by using a FF diagonal FE on APS crop frame you'll lose much of the 'fishiness' - look at any of the Flickr shots taken with this lens on FF cameras and imagine cropping down to just the centre. Since at 10mm you can get away with some ridiculously slow shutter speeds handheld, the 2/3 of a stop will not make that much of a difference.
11-04-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just a thought have you looked into the samyang 8mm?

11-04-2014, 06:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This 15mm? Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Dunno. But a lot of people on this forum enjoy the Samyang 8mm fisheye, and the Samyang 10mm (this one is not a fisheye, just really UWA). Samyang 10mm f2.8 here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/samyang-10mm-f28-ed-as-ncs-cs.html

Last edited by Na Horuk; 11-04-2014 at 08:14 AM.
11-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The full-frame Sigma 15mm FishEye isn't going to seem very fishy on APSC.
The Samyang 8mm FishEye is full-frame and gets good reviews, but is manual focus and still only f 3.5.
What are you shooting? Maybe a tripod is in your future. Or use a higher ISO and some form of De-Noise software.

The more I look at that 8mm, the more I want it.
11-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I understand what you want to do. A fast lens is needed for night shooting although the half stop difference between the DA 10-17 and the Sigma probably isn't going to make a huge difference although it may mean the difference between a clean shot and a little motion blur in a moving subject. The Sigma 15 isn't going to be as wide as your DA so you are giving up a little composition space since you mention never shooting at a longer length the 10mm. I have never used the any of the Sigma or Samyang Fisheyes so I can't really comment on them. My DA 10-17 is one of my favorite lenses along with my DA 15. I would not invest in any lens with the expectation of a Pentax FF. It may happen, it may not. If Pentax does build a FF, then the Sigma 15 would be a good choice but speaking for myself, I would wait and see if that happens.

Also keep in mind that the F stop is a ratio and not the same as light transmission and that 1/2 stop difference may not even exist in real world exposures.

11-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys.. well yes basically i would need something with AF because most of the time i use this 10mm at events, shooting people or artists so there is no time to manual focus.. so the Samyang i think is out of the equation..

As far as i read, the Sigma fisheyes ( 10mm, and 15mm FF ) have better AF than the Pentax, or at least score higher in most reviews.. so ofcourse this is a plus.. the thing is that would like to invest money in something that will stick with me in the future, so thats why i was thiking of a 15mm isnted of a 10mm, because i can stick with it IF pentax releases the FF... with my 10mm Pentax i tend to crop my images to center to avoid that much distorcion at the edges so the fisheye effect is not really what im looking for but the posibility to be close to my subject and still have some good "ambient" around...

As you guys said the 15mm at APC wont make that much fisheye distorcion, it will be more like a really wide angle lens.. BUT.. once again.. thinking about investing money in lenses that i would stick in the future this lens might not be a bad idea..

The bad thing is that all this depends of the IF pentax releases the FF next year..
11-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I like the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC for what you are describing.
At 10mm, you can take a picture of an entire building without stepping off its front porch, though it may look a bit like a pyramid.
At 20mm, its a clean wide-angle for close-ups with some surrounding context. Its still APSC format.

The 15mm F2.8 EX DG is a half-stop faster, but you might be missing the best part of that lens on APSC while waiting for FF.