Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

I don't own this, I've got the FA 35mm f2...

35mm is a great focal length in my opinion... the DA 35mm f2.4 looks good value... I don't think you could go wrong with it

But the question is, should you save for the DA 35mm f2.8 or FA 43mm ? But then that's always the problem

11-04-2014, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the DA35 on my camera more than any of my other lenses. It is extremely light, focuses well in low light and I use it on the street with me all the time. Portraits look good on it, within the expectation that it is a 35MM, and the bokeh is smooth and not distracting. You will see CA in high contrast photos at F2.4 but PP is easy to correct. All gone away by 2.8 on up. It is a great lens.
11-04-2014, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've posted this previously somewhere the DA 35 2.4 on the SF1 a test roll shot wide open fuji superia 400 drug store film and processing

11-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Oh, there are plenty of opinions and samples of the DA 35mm f2.4! Its a great, affordable lens, so it is very popular. I personally don't have experience using it for children or fast-moving subjects, I mostly take nature and landscape photos. But maybe these threads can help you.
Photo thread, all with DA 35mm f2.4:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/196639-da35-f2-4-plastic-f...c-club-40.html
User lens reviews:
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
PentaxForums in depth review from 2011:
Review: Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 - Review | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I think you will find everything you want in those threads, including sample photos. You can find more sample photos here: Pentax Camera & Lens Sample Photo Search Engine - PentaxForums.com

I very often recommend the DA 35mm f2.4 on these forums. But you should also consider the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. It is almost as bright, AF almost as fast, but has a convenient zoom range. Also at a good price.
Thanks for those useful links - I'll take a look

11-05-2014, 06:41 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I've posted this previously somewhere the DA 35 2.4 on the SF1 a test roll shot wide open fuji superia 400 drug store film and processing

I'll add to eddi1960's sample shot with one of my own. It was taken with my ZX-60 at f/4 or f/5.6. I can't remember exactly for sure but it wasn't wide open.

IMGP0975 - Version 2
by Never Off, on Flickr

The DA 35mm f/2.4 is a great FF lens!
11-06-2014, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

35mm is great for indoor portraits when you want full body shots and dont have much space to move back. the DA 35mm 2.4 is great value and takes fantastic pictures. i usually take it with me when going to dinner parties and restaurants.
11-06-2014, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm another fan of the DA 35/2.4. Very sharp. Focuses at infinity more reliably than any K-mount AF lens I've used. My only qualm with the lens is that compared with the DA Limiteds the images can be a bit flat. I've noticed this on outdoor landscape shots... but not anywhere else.

11-07-2014, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the DA 35mm F2.4 is an amazing lens for the price. It has been my most used lens so far. Sure it will not match other more expensive lenses IQ-wise, but it plays in a different league than you may expect looking at its price. 35mm is a good focal lens for indoors and especially small rooms where you might not have enough space to back off with a longer lens (50mm for instance). It's also much more lighter and easy to carry than the Sigma. Some photos with the plastic wonder:

11-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I think the DA 35mm F2.4 is an amazing lens for the price. It has been my most used lens so far. Sure it will not match other more expensive lenses IQ-wise, but it plays in a different league than you may expect looking at its price. 35mm is a good focal lens for indoors and especially small rooms where you might not have enough space to back off with a longer lens (50mm for instance). It's also much more lighter and easy to carry than the Sigma. Some photos with the plastic wonder:

Thanks for sharing these photos - very impressive - I particularly like the second one!
11-10-2014, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

The DAL 35 is a very good lens. It's acceptably sharp from 2.4, and really, really sharp once you hit 5.6.

The bokeh is not as smooth as a butter, but it is pleasant. The DA 40's bokeh is a bit harsh for me. I sold my 40XS (similar to DA40) a few weeks ago. The DAL 35 also suffers less color fringing compared to the 40. The build is plasticky, obviously cheap when compared to the Limiteds. One good thing about the 35 is that it is easy to use and very "forgiving". The FA43 (personally) is a very difficult lens to use. Temperamental, some would say. The "slow" 2.4 definitely helps. 2.4 is enough for little light indoors, just push the ISO a little if you can afford it. All in all, the 35/2.4 is highly recommendable!
11-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm another fan of the DA 35/2.4. Very sharp. Focuses at infinity more reliably than any K-mount AF lens I've used. My only qualm with the lens is that compared with the DA Limiteds the images can be a bit flat. I've noticed this on outdoor landscape shots... but not anywhere else.
I hear this sometimes, but I think the strength of the DA 35 2.4 is to be an all-rounder lens rather than to excel at something like the Limiteds do. I think that for portraits and single subjects the DA 35 can shine at least as well as any Limited. For landscape and infinity focus, it doesn't have that DA 15 "magic" but with some PP, it's fine. Portraits and pictures of people are fine, some even turn out excellent.

If there's one thing that the DA 35 2.4 excels, I think, is in low light situations, where at f2.4, 2.5 (yes the camera selects that sometimes...), or 2.8, you get some magical colors and wonderful contrast and micro contrast going on. I can't explain it but when you see it, you see it.

A second thing it excels at, is on 135mm film cameras. It has a look that I think no other Pentax lens has - and I haven't seen any other lens that really has it. The clarity and definition are, and I'm going to say that word again, "magical". There's no other way I can describe it. Almost like Leica for the poor man/woman...

If the lens didn't sit on my wife's K-r all the time, I'd have some film pictures to share... but I'm having to make do with other lenses...

---------- Post added 11-11-14 at 11:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
The DAL 35 is a very good lens. It's acceptably sharp from 2.4, and really, really sharp once you hit 5.6.

The bokeh is not as smooth as a butter, but it is pleasant. The DA 40's bokeh is a bit harsh for me. I sold my 40XS (similar to DA40) a few weeks ago. The DAL 35 also suffers less color fringing compared to the 40. The build is plasticky, obviously cheap when compared to the Limiteds. One good thing about the 35 is that it is easy to use and very "forgiving". The FA43 (personally) is a very difficult lens to use. Temperamental, some would say. The "slow" 2.4 definitely helps. 2.4 is enough for little light indoors, just push the ISO a little if you can afford it. All in all, the 35/2.4 is highly recommendable!
f2.4 in my K20D is just fine, combined with IBIS I can easily take sharp pictures at 1/20sec and not have to bump the ISO too much.
11-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
For landscape and infinity focus, it doesn't have that DA 15 "magic" but with some PP, it's fine.
I have both and might say the DA35 does actually pretty good when it comes to landscapes, if proper technique is used. Some landscapes with the DA35:

11-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I have both and might say the DA35 does actually pretty good when it comes to landscapes, if proper technique is used. Some landscapes with the DA35:

Oh don't get me wrong, it's very fine for landscapes, and your pictures prove it. But I think you'll agree that the DA 15 has some more pixie dust to it?
11-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Oh don't get me wrong, it's very fine for landscapes, and your pictures prove it. But I think you'll agree that the DA 15 has some more pixie dust to it?
Definitively. But considering the price difference... I'd say it's amazing how well the small plastic holds its own.
11-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for the DA35/2.4 - great bang for the buck. This was at f/6.3 on an old *ist D: