Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Lens Reference Chart - May 2008 UPDATED

19 May 2008 - Updated file! See my 3rd post below or highlights from the list in this post!

I decided to get frisky today and make a chart showcasing all Pentax lenses as listed during MAY 2008 from Adorama.com, since their search engine is extremely easy to use. I only included Pentax, Tamron, Sigma brands.

The color-coded chart contains:
  • Brand
  • Designations for Macro, Limited, HSM/SDM operation, (*) designation
  • All lens codes I could find for that lens, with explanations
  • Min - Max focal ranges
  • Max aperatures (short and long)
  • Weight in ounces
  • Price in USD
  • 19 May 2008 Edit!! Also contains the following:
  • Links to that len's reviews and score at Pentaxforums.com
  • Links to that len's review and optical score at Photozone.de
  • Links to that len's score and vendors from Nextag.com

Note: Some lenses listed may not be out yet, but are available for preorder.
I do not have any affiliation to Adorama.com or any other company for that matter, I only used Adorama because of their superior lens search filtering capabilities. Prices are from Adorama and might be found cheaper elsewhere.

Formats contained within the zip file to hopefully let as many people use this as possible:

1) XML document

2) MHTML (Microsoft HTML) single file web page, you'll get an Active X block warning, but you don't need Active X to use it, so I have no idea what that means.

3) Excel Version 2003 .XML file

If you would like a file in a different format let me know and I can try to do it. The free OpenOffice.org application should be able to open this just fine if you don't own Excel!

--------------------------

The chart is pretty self-explanatory. At the bottom are three tabs, giving you a view of which manufacturer you're looking at.

Sigma and Tamron Lens codes are matched as close as possible to the colors used by the repsective company. All lens codes are the best information I could find at the time.

-----------------

If you find any errors or have suggestions, please do so! I'd like this to become a good reference chart for all Pentaxians!
I hope to run updates around once a month. Using a spreadsheet format, one should be able to sort the data by price, aperature, etc. Please post if you do not know how to do this in Excel, as I can explain..it's pretty easy.

I'm hoping this can be a general-use chart for people deciding on lens purchases.
This chart isn't meant as a future roadmap, but a quick-and-dirty cheat sheet.

You may make any changes you see fit, as long as I retain credit (my email is within the file).

The .zip file has been scanned for viruses using up-to-date AVG Free edition and contains no macros. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy!

Attached Files
File Type: zip Pentax Lens Spreadsheet May 2008.zip (58.8 KB, 900 views)

Last edited by cputeq; 05-19-2008 at 07:31 PM.
05-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #2

As far as I am aware some of the Sigma lenses that you label as HSM are not HSM on the Pentax mount.
05-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. I've heard of this also through user anecdotes, but I will research more at Sigma's website. Perhaps it's possible people were using HSM lenses on bodies not supporting that operation? Updates to follow!

Thanks so much for your reply - Corrections are a good thing!
05-19-2008, 08:20 AM   #4

Sigma HSM capable

Sigma has said they would first provide HSM functionallity for Pentax on 50-150 and 70-200. Perhaps the indicator to watch for is "HSM-II"?

nBd

05-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Would it be possible (where applicable) to create a link to the review page for each lens here? ie:

Pentax Lens Review Database - 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF]

For the *50-135
05-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You need to add the Sigma long lenses like the 300mm F2.8, 500mm and 800mm lenses even if they are made to order.
05-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, some revisions may be needed, but you guys forgot the essential: Well done! Will be usefull, thanks for the effort you have made, and for sharing this!

Moderators...can we ask for having the updated version somehow linked from the lens review pages?
05-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #8

and thanks to you ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
OK, some revisions may be needed, but you guys forgot the essential: Well done! Will be usefull, thanks for the effort you have made, and for sharing this!

Excellent point. This was such a welcome addition, I completely forgot my manners. Thank you kindly for assembling and posting these summaries. I've been 'flipping pages' quite a bit lately trying to decide on my next lens (or how long to wait until there are some more out), and it is actually quite soothing to have a focussed place to review the basics for my options.

05-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
a chart showcasing all Pentax lenses as listed during MAY 2008 from Adorama.com
This is great work!

As everybody, I have a suggestion too

You could include the final verdict optical rating at photozone.de,
like 4.5/5 here: Pentax SMC-FA* 300mm f/4.5 ED [IF] - Review / Lab Test Report
and quote them as source.

Some lenses are only tested in Canon or Nikon mount, so you could quote the verdict on parenthesis then. Or I look it up for you and post the summary for you.

Thanks for the great work!
05-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All great suggestions and thanks. Check back on this thread hopefully later tonight
05-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #11

Also the Tamron DI LI is 70-300 not 75-300. Small error I know, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
05-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
New and Hopefully Improved

Check the original post for the update file(s).

I have added columns with links from three websites to each brand tab.

Pentax, Tamron and Sigma lenses now have links to their corrosponding Pentaxforums.com Lens Database Review, Photozone.de review and/or a Nextag.com search and user scores!

These scores come with cautions:

1) Some scores may only be from 1 reviewer, so take numbers with a grain of salt.

2) Because of the large number of links and editing I had to do in Excel, I'm sure there are some errors to be found, especially since some lenses have mutiple versions with slight variances.

3) I did not link reviews from Photozone.de if they pertained to non-Pentax mounts. I started to do this, but Photozone's author states you should only compare reviews with other Pentax reviews (for whatever reason).

Also, some of the 3rd party lenses in other mounts had slight differences (I caught a 1/3 stop difference on nearly the exact same lens, I think).

So, I just avoided this situation completely and stayed with the rather sparse Pentax-only reviews.

4) The Nextag.com links may be slightly inconsistent. I tried to make sure I linked the closest search lens (as sometimes the same exact lens shows up during a search). Also, sometimes the search page will show a 4/5 star rating, whereas entering the actual lens page shows a 4.5/5 star rating from users.....a slight bug on their web page which I didn't catch until late.

Finally, some of the links point to the lens information (from multiple vendors), some point to the search string for that lens (to compare other mount scores while still viewing the Pentax mount) and others point to the sole vendor selling the lens at that time.

*whew* Eventually I'll go back and make them all consistant, but for right now I'm a little sick of :

Alt-Tab.
Click link.
Ctrl-D
Ctrl-C
Alt-Tab
<type Something>
<enter>
<up arrow>
Ctrl K
Ctrl V

Hope you guys enjoy the updated versions and please keep the corrections and suggestions coming! I'm hesitant to flood the spreadsheet with too many review sites, so I'm going to keep it to three. If someone knows another great review database (pbase.com maybe?) please tell me.

I may have missed some review links! This stuff made my eyes cross! Please inform me of any updated links

Akiss20

Thanks for the catch I happened to catch it as I was posting links from Nextag, since I was paying attention to price between spreadsheet and webpage and noticed the large discrepancy. Thanks for looking out, though! Good find.

Everyone else

Your comments are much appreciated I definitely caught myself using this last night, as I'm in the market for 1 or 2 lenses very soon and I needed lots of comparing!
05-19-2008, 07:34 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanobaud Quote
Sigma has said they would first provide HSM functionallity for Pentax on 50-150 and 70-200. Perhaps the indicator to watch for is "HSM-II"?

nBd
Note added! Thanks

QuoteQuote:
You could include the final verdict optical rating at photozone.de
Done! But only for Pentax Mounts.

QuoteQuote:
You need to add the Sigma long lenses like the 300mm F2.8, 500mm and 800mm lenses even if they are made to order.
Considered, but then I declined. I'm trying to stay with readily available, retail lenses. For the most part, Adorama, Amazon, B&H listings mirror one another fairly well, so I feel taking a snapshot of Adorama's lens offerings per month will reflect what's easily found by anyone in the retail channel.

Thanks for the suggestion, though! I had no idea you could get those lenses from Sigma.
05-20-2008, 04:22 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Tuesday morning bump, for great justice!

(I hate Tuesdays - The most stressful day of my work week. Here's to pulling one's hair out!)
05-20-2008, 06:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
3) I did not link reviews from Photozone.de if they pertained to non-Pentax mounts. I started to do this, but Photozone's author states you should only compare reviews with other Pentax reviews (for whatever reason).

Also, some of the 3rd party lenses in other mounts had slight differences (I caught a 1/3 stop difference on nearly the exact same lens, I think).

So, I just avoided this situation completely and stayed with the rather sparse Pentax-only reviews.
Thanks for the continued great job.

As for Photozone.de foreign mount ratings... I've been aware of the problem. Why I proposed to put the final verdict optical rating in parenthesis only, no link. I thought it would still be better than no rating.

The reason why Photozone.de reviews aren't comparable is that the bodies are different. With Pentax they use a K10D. Resolution etc. will definiteley be body dependent. However, their final verdict optical rating should be relatively independent from the mount (mechanical rating includes HSM etc. and must be ignored).

In some cases the final verdict optical ratings differ, like in Pentax 18-250 (2.0/5) vs. Tamron 18-250 (3.0 in Canon, 2.5 in Nikon). However, then even Photozone is surprised and says for Pentax "a better copy would get 2.5". Therefore, Photozone itself is believing that the final verdict optical rating should be comparable across brands and mounts.

Anyway, whatever decision you take is fine with me.